By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think animal testing is right?

The positives far outweigh the negatives so yes, animal testing is fine.

Around the Network

Well it depends. I really don't mind animal testing if it means we can find an issue with a something medical before we actually test it on humans. However, as silly as it sounds, humane treatment of animals should be something we praise doing not disregard. Considering we have pathos (Greek term for recognition of universal suffering) for humans I don't see why we can have the same views towards that of animals as well. Still don't like the idea of boiling crawfish alive down here.

As long as what we are doing is to serve a great cause and use for that of the human population (like we do with food from animals) then it is ok. But if we are doing it in cruel ways and using it for "silly purposes" then that is unacceptable.

However, I'd also like to throw out there, that for all these things we are taking the routes we are comfortable with scientifically rather than trying to search for a better and potentially easier route as well. We think that if we don't do this we will have to go to another extreme but that also tries to exhaust all options (false dichotomy) when obviously there could be other options in making strides for medical advancement.

for medical purpose i don't know, but for cosmetics and BS like that no.

Khuutra said:
Ps3 said:
Khuutra said:
Ps3 said:

I think animal testing is stupid and needs to stop. Anyone agree? I mean stop burning animals to 3rd degree burns and so on just to make tests! It's humane!!

Do you know anyone with diabetes

Or who has ever had to use antibiotics of any kind

Or anyone with asthma

Or cancer

Yeah I do

Those people are alive and as healthy as they are largely because of medical breakthroughs that came about as a result of animal testing. When we find a cure for cancer, it will be through animal testing. When we figure out how to heal nerve damage, it will be through animal testing. When we figure out how to make a pill that will cure a person of depression, or help prevent the risk of birth defects, or cure acne, or pretty much anything in medical science, it will be beause of animal testing.

Yes, I think animal testing is right. It sucks for them, but I place value on human life that is much higher than the value I place on the life of other animals.

Then you're a big racist.

What's the difference to say that I value white people's life higher than let's say black people? Or I value healthy people's life higher than the mentally ill.

Personally I am totally against testing on animals.

Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

Those people are alive and as healthy as they are largely because of medical breakthroughs that came about as a result of animal testing. When we find a cure for cancer, it will be through animal testing. When we figure out how to heal nerve damage, it will be through animal testing. When we figure out how to make a pill that will cure a person of depression, or help prevent the risk of birth defects, or cure acne, or pretty much anything in medical science, it will be beause of animal testing.

Yes, I think animal testing is right. It sucks for them, but I place value on human life that is much higher than the value I place on the life of other animals.

What's the difference to say that I place value white people's life higher than let's say black people? Or I value healthy people's life higher than the mentally ill.

That isn't racism, it's speciesism. You can't draw an analogy between our relationship with other animals and the relationship between different ethnic groups of humans unless you (A) consider animal life equivalent or (B) consider human life to be iered in terms of importance.

Regardless, it's not racism.

Around the Network

humans test on animals because they are the superior race, then aliens will come to earth to test on humans.

khuutra, that was a well reasoned argument, are you in college?

Khuutra said:
Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

What's the difference to say that I place value white people's life higher than let's say black people? Or I value healthy people's life higher than the mentally ill.

That isn't racism, it's speciesism. You can't draw an analogy between our relationship with other animals and the relationship between different ethnic groups of humans unless you (A) consider animal life equivalent or (B) consider human life to be iered in terms of importance.

Regardless, it's not racism.

Well, if I say we should treat immigrants not equal to natives I am called racist, even though technically that's not correct, so I am sure you know the message I am trying to send.

And why can't I draw the analogy?

I must not believe animals to be equivalent to humans, just because I think it's wrong to kill or test on them. That's a ridiculous claim.

Why do you value other mammals so low that you allow torture and killing of them for the benefit of humans?

Most of people are HUGE hypocrites.

They aggressively condemn me if I say I am against immigration because I don't want culture mix (just as an example).

But meanwhile the common people commit a far more serious crime by accepting and defending killing and testing on mammals who have emotions like us, feel pain like we do and who want to live like we do.

Why it's more wrong to kill a retarted human than to kill a healthy, intelligent dog or pig? Morally it isn't.

if you dont agree with me, then you sir, are worse than hitler.