By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Insomniac's Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

Kwaad said: I like the gun on the NES better than the wii-mote pointer. Too much lag. I hate the lack of a 2nd analog stick. Tilting a controller to turn is not more realistic, pointing your gun off to the side to turn, is not more realistic. It is just another way to do something fake. I see it like that. I personally perfer the responce time on a joystick. I've never been a fond keyboard/mouse person, I play games with joysticks if I can. Speaking of realism. Flight games on the wii are amazing... The realisim. Tilt the controller just like the plane would tilt... wait. Why arent we useing a joystick? I know, The Wii is beyond realism.
i dont know what wii your playing, but mine has 0 lag when moving the pointer on the screen. i bet your problem is your just not used to it. once you get used to it, geting the pointer on the screen is very easy. the lack of a second analog stick isnt a big deal to me, but thats just it though, the classic controller has a second analog stick. so if the game needs it and its the type of game the wiimote wont be factored into, they got it. i dont like playing games on a computer either, but simply because gamming on computers is for scrubs to me (no offense to those of you who game on computers, thats just my opinion, i mean no offense to you). i like having a console more less dedicated to gaming, none of that other crap. tilting the controller is more real though. i really like it and most all will agree. analog stick just doesnt compare for me anymore. even if it isnt technically more real (which i think it is) its still a different new expirience, and alot of fun to most. it doenst make the game any less of a gamers game, but it does give it an appeal to others. fun for the whole family. (as gay as that slogan is) and how is using the controller not more realistic than an analog stick? seriously, think about it. planes use type of steering wheel, its not a joy stick. pulling back to go up, forward-down, then tilt left and right, thats much more realistic and, agian, different expirience, than a boring analoge stick that can move in about a half inch radius.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Narfer, check out Godfather : Blackhand Edition for Wii, seems EA hit the controls on that one as well. A lot of people are loving it. chibcicylist Wow, I just got this game from Gamefly. Wow. I am another convert. I can't see GTA style button controls surviving after this. Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm actually having fun with this thing. Graphics sucks, that I know but it's all about the garote wires, choking your victims and slamming them on the wall. I'm impressed. My dad, who loves GTA can't watch me playing it and actually told me to stop choking women in the game. Lawl. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147147 http://www.gamestop.com/ReadReviews.asp?product_id=230065[/quote] I hated that game. Not because of controls or graphics but because it was so derivative of GTA.

Narfer said: i dont like playing games on a computer either, but simply because gamming on computers is for scrubs to me (no offense to those of you who game on computers, thats just my opinion, i mean no offense to you). i like having a console more less dedicated to gaming, none of that other crap.
Uhuh. I play all kinds. My preference is for Sony, but I guess that could change. I grew up on Nintendo, switched to Sony during the 64 phase (honestly I can't see how we ever played that system, sure the anti-aliasing was great, almost no jaggies, but the block characters? Comeon. Who doesn't remember Pierce Grosnans picture plastered on to that block face on Goldeneye?) But I play PC too. You have to enjoy it all. I don't see what you mean. PC players almost always kill console players in most competitions. Are they the scrubs? In general PC players are also a lot smarter than console players. Partly cause you get a lot of hoi ploi in console gaming but not so much on PC games. Maybe that's just my opinion. But having been in some gaming competition (way back in my day, Halo 1 mostly, 2001-2002) PC guys are pretty good.

vanguardian1 said: Narfer, check out Godfather : Blackhand Edition for Wii, seems EA hit the controls on that one as well. A lot of people are loving it.
i know. i really want it. ive never played it before, but the graphics looked real good (or so they did in the screen shots i saw) and i heard amazing things about the gameplay and how well they worked the controller in. my local rental store doesnt have it and im currently too broke to buy it, but ill definatly give it a shot some day. to the people bashing the pointer saying its not better than an analag, i have nothing left to argue. if you truly believe what you say, then im sorry your body and mind just cant addapt to change and new ideas. if you are lieing cause you too proud to admit nintendo just 1-uped your PS3 or 360, then your a fool, and there is no saving you from a life long misery. lets play each other me with wiimote and you with analog, no automatic aiming. i can aim and 1 corner then to the next in a tenth the time it would take you to move your sight across the screen, only moving as fast as its set to move at full speed as opposed to me moving at my own real speed. ready, draw, your dead. CHEERS

Stromprophet said: Narfer said: i dont like playing games on a computer either, but simply because gamming on computers is for scrubs to me (no offense to those of you who game on computers, thats just my opinion, i mean no offense to you). i like having a console more less dedicated to gaming, none of that other crap. Uhuh. I play all kinds. My preference is for Sony, but I guess that could change. I grew up on Nintendo, switched to Sony during the 64 phase (honestly I can't see how we ever played that system, sure the anti-aliasing was great, almost no jaggies, but the block characters? Comeon. Who doesn't remember Pierce Grosnans picture plastered on to that block face on Goldeneye?) But I play PC too. You have to enjoy it all. I don't see what you mean. PC players almost always kill console players in most competitions. Are they the scrubs? In general PC players are also a lot smarter than console players. Partly cause you get a lot of hoi ploi in console gaming but not so much on PC games. Maybe that's just my opinion. But having been in some gaming competition (way back in my day, Halo 1 mostly, 2001-2002) PC guys are pretty good.
first off let me say, goldeneye graphics might have sucked (and the pastered on pictures were pretty bad) but goldeneye was the best frist person shooter of that time. it had something that no other game i ever played has, and thats the feeling that when you pull the Z button to shoot, the bullets fly and enter your victim, it really really truly felt like you just filled that person with led. the way the victim reacted, the blood, the sound of feel and look of the gun... amazing. its still my favorite first person shooter ever. and this isnt just my opinion, check the rating on gamespot, its extremely high. it got top 20 for nintendo power magazines top 200 greatest nintendo game ever. (i believe it was 16) next off let me say sorry for calling you a computer gamers a scrub. i really ment no offense to it and i have no doubt that computer gamers, for whatever reason, do very well and even trumph console gamers at tourneys. just, for me, i dont like the idea of playing games on computers. its just how i am, calling computer gamers scrubs wasnt exactly what i mean. just to me, i dont like gaming on computer. i like having a controller (or remote, if you will, ) and having all the buttons right there is an assorted way and all games more or less following a basic code (the every lasting, B for back button). its just how i am, i do online such on my computer, and game on my wii. they dont intermix much. i do a little dumb random games on the computer at times (like arcade games every once in awhile when im bored or something) and if i had broadband id get on my wii and download classic games, download new channels, and just check everything out once in awhile cause its cool. but beyond that, internet such for computer, gaming for console.

Around the Network

"analag" LOL I don't know if that was a mis-type or intentional, but funny none-the-less. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: "analag" LOL I don't know if that was a mis-type or intentional, but funny none-the-less. :)
ooops! did i put "lag" in analog in a coincidentally appropriete place? o silly me.

Narfer said: first off let me say, goldeneye graphics might have sucked (and the pastered on pictures were pretty bad) but goldeneye was the best frist person shooter of that time. it had something that no other game i ever played has, and thats the feeling that when you pull the Z button to shoot, the bullets fly and enter your victim, it really really truly felt like you just filled that person with led. the way the victim reacted, the blood, the sound of feel and look of the gun... amazing. its still my favorite first person shooter ever. and this isnt just my opinion, check the rating on gamespot, its extremely high. it got top 20 for nintendo power magazines top 200 greatest nintendo game ever. (i believe it was 16) next off let me say sorry for calling you a computer gamers a scrub. i really ment no offense to it and i have no doubt that computer gamers, for whatever reason, do very well and even trumph console gamers at tourneys. just, for me, i dont like the idea of playing games on computers. its just how i am, calling computer gamers scrubs wasnt exactly what i mean. just to me, i dont like gaming on computer. i like having a controller (or remote, if you will, ) and having all the buttons right there is an assorted way and all games more or less following a basic code (the every lasting, B for back button). its just how i am, i do online such on my computer, and game on my wii. they dont intermix much. i do a little dumb random games on the computer at times (like arcade games every once in awhile when im bored or something) and if i had broadband id get on my wii and download classic games, download new channels, and just check everything out once in awhile cause its cool. but beyond that, internet such for computer, gaming for console.
I agree. I used to play Goldeneye for hours and hours on end. But I think in the end PS1 showed it had way better graphics and it may have been one of the reasons why it toppled Nintendo. I say one of the reasons, they also had good games, and secured a lot of 3rd party titles. Anyone remember the Crash Bandicoot commercials from PS1? Man those were good. But games like MGS and FF showed how CD was way better than cartrige for all kinds of reasons. I prefer some titles on console, and some on PC. I like to play strategy games, which tend not to be fun on the console because of controls and other reasons. I mostly play my RPGs, FPS, and sports games on the consoles.

Stromprophet said: I agree. I used to play Goldeneye for hours and hours on end. But I think in the end PS1 showed it had way better graphics and it may have been one of the reasons why it toppled Nintendo. I say one of the reasons, they also had good games, and secured a lot of 3rd party titles. Anyone remember the Crash Bandicoot commercials from PS1? Man those were good. But games like MGS and FF showed how CD was way better than cartrige for all kinds of reasons. I prefer some titles on console, and some on PC. I like to play strategy games, which tend not to be fun on the console because of controls and other reasons. I mostly play my RPGs, FPS, and sports games on the consoles.
If you actually look at the better looking games that were available for the N64 and compare them to the best looking games for the Playstation it becomes clear that the N64 had greater processing power ... Now, the N64 had flaws (it was a bitch to program for, and memory cartridges prevented the N64 from really demonstrating its advantage when it came to texturing) but it was far more powerful; with few exceptions, 2 years of hardware development time will always allow for far greater performance when all else is kept constant.

HappySqurriel said: If you actually look at the better looking games that were available for the N64 and compare them to the best looking games for the Playstation it becomes clear that the N64 had greater processing power ... Now, the N64 had flaws (it was a bitch to program for, and memory cartridges prevented the N64 from really demonstrating its advantage when it came to texturing) but it was far more powerful; with few exceptions, 2 years of hardware development time will always allow for far greater performance when all else is kept constant.
Wow... I do not think it is that easy to make a call. The artistic style of many of the PS1 games were amazing. And I don't know about anyone else here in the forums but at the time goldeneye's graphics were good enough for me, I was wowed by turok as well. Wow have graphics changed alot in a short amount of time.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723