By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Alby_da_Wolf said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

[...]

It could just be the interface for some games. I say Saint Row could use the touch screen to get around the fewer buttons. Put things like radio control, mission toggling, and in/out of vehicles on parts of the touch screen.

I just realized that using the touchscreen that way could be considered a high tech and customizable evolution of Mattel Intellivision's game-specific overlays for the numeric pad.

I was actually thinking that an Intellevision collection on the DS or 3DS could use the touch screen that way.

Very good idea. Better on DS, as it would reach a wider audience, and Intellivision games don't need the 3D screen (and it would run on 3DS too anyway). BTW some years ago some f*#@%ing thieves (*) stole some things in my mom's cottage, amongst which on top of some antiques, also the computer expansion for Intellivision and all the games, both for Intellivision and expansion, that my sister didn't previously take at her's, so I would be quite tempted, should I decide to buy a DS when its price is lower (spare time to use it will be the final factor to decide, alas! )

(*) I wish they spend all the loot for palliative care

1. Games with an Intellevision-esque interface could work with either system.

2. The prices already went down on the DS systems, if I recall correctly.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Email: Hilariously bad

No one in the ‘Industry’ realizes this, most certainly not the CEO of Take Two (who it appears Michael Pachter chats with often and uses the CEO’s lines as his own). They look at the DS and Wii and see only in a shallow lens of ‘marketing campaign’, the ‘Miis’, the ‘new interface’, and the ‘kinder and gentler games’. Remember, the Game Industry does not know much about gaming or gamers. If you ask the Industry about gamers, they would just vomit demographic data back to you. It is a Machine World with them and so their games feel machine made. Soul-less.

It's paragraphs like the above that really annoy me.  In most cases the suits do dictate what kinds of games are made  but they're not the people that actually make the games.  Behind practically every game there are people passionate about gaming (why else would someone get into a field with such long hours, hard work, and relatively little pay compared to others).  For him to call their efforts "soul-less" is extremely insulting.

As far as not understanding gamers it's Malstrom himself that doesn't understand them otherwise he would see a lot of the nonsense he writes for what it is.  How else is it possible to explain why those supposedly soul-less games build up such huge followings and have such active communities?  I still don't understand the love affair some people have with the guy, sure he called the Wii's success but he has also been wrong many times and even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Legend11 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Email: Hilariously bad

No one in the ‘Industry’ realizes this, most certainly not the CEO of Take Two (who it appears Michael Pachter chats with often and uses the CEO’s lines as his own). They look at the DS and Wii and see only in a shallow lens of ‘marketing campaign’, the ‘Miis’, the ‘new interface’, and the ‘kinder and gentler games’. Remember, the Game Industry does not know much about gaming or gamers. If you ask the Industry about gamers, they would just vomit demographic data back to you. It is a Machine World with them and so their games feel machine made. Soul-less.

It's paragraphs like the above that really annoy me.  In most cases the suits do dictate what kinds of games are made  but they're not the people that actually make the games.  Behind practically every game there are people passionate about gaming (why else would someone get into a field with such long hours, hard work, and relatively little pay compared to others).  For him to call their efforts "soul-less" is extremely insulting.

As far as not understanding gamers it's Malstrom himself that doesn't understand them otherwise he would see a lot of the nonsense he writes for what it is.  How else is it possible to explain why those supposedly soul-less games build up such huge followings and have such active communities?  I still don't understand the love affair some people have with the guy, sure he called the Wii's success but he has also been wrong many times and even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The soulless games sell for the fragment of soul they have left in them, which the suits then misinterpret for the games selling for their soullessness, and drive those factors further at the expense of what actually caused the games to sell.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LordTheNightKnight said:

[...]

1. Games with an Intellevision-esque interface could work with either system.

2. The prices already went down on the DS systems, if I recall correctly.

1. Yes, I guessed it, I just wanted to stress the fact that making it a 3DS exclusive wouldn't be a good idea, as it isn't obviously a system seller candidade for it, so it's much better to maximize SW sales.

2. I know, but I'm waiting for it to be under 100€, it's not yet here, as I'm not a big fan of portables, so it would be a very secondary gaming system for me, although interactive recipe books tempt me a lot... When the price is right, quite soon I guess, it will be only matter of enough free time and inspiration.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Not sure who is the Malstrom thread keeper is here. So I thought I would post this for you.

Cammie Dunaway leaves Nintendo

What to make of this?

There are many reasons why a VP of Nintendo will leave the company. One of the more interesting ones is because if they break confidentiality and blab stuff they shouldn’t have. Another big reason is that the video game business is ferociously difficult and topsy-turvy. And another more likely reason is that when sales go down, the axe falls on the marketing person. It could be for any or all of these reasons. However, if Nintendo really wanted her to stay, she would still be there.

As I understand it, Reggie is the decision maker who hired both Dunaway and Kaigler. They were hired because they knew ‘disruption’. Dunaway’s experience at Yahoo, which Reggie probably thought was a ‘disruptive company’, and Dunaway also being female (to market for the ‘new market’). It is likely she was a big advocate for ‘user generated content’.

I agree with those who say Dunaway didn’t seem to be the type to belong in the gaming atmosphere. Those who favor disruption tend to place too much emphasis on computers and Internet forgetting that it was gaming that is the mother of personal computers (before starting Apple, Steve Jobs worked at Atari). Gaming is completely different than computer businesses and Internet businesses. I would say sister industries to gaming would be anything related to sports and the usual suspects of entertainment industries (music, books, television, etc).

This is a healthy sign when VPs get replaced. Disruption literature says that the people who ought to get the axe are not the people at the bottom and especially not the customer service and people developing the next generation of the product. It is the people at the top who should go. It is human nature, when looking to get rid of someone in the company, to not look at oneself and to look down below you. This is why many companies get trapped in a cycle of continued destruction because the top people stay and they keep getting rid of people below them.

Knowledge of disruption isn’t going to cut it for future VPs. They need to be gamers at heart. In a way, a marketer for gaming should view himself not so much as a marketer but as a shepherd or high priest leading a movement to ‘convert’ scores of non-gamers into gamers. It is someone passionate about gaming.

Anyway, here is Dunaway running into the first goomba in Mario 5. During the NES days, people would make fun of you if you ran into the first goomba. Run into the second goomba. Or the third. But never the first.

Now here is my opinion on the matter.

The part I high lighted is the focus point of the topic. As you know Malstrom has a strong belief that Nintendo focus on making UGC games in 08. Slowed the momentum of Wii hardwares with the games being AC CF, and Wii Music. Even though there is really no proof this was true. It's something he brings up constantly like Patcher calling for WiiHD every year. Now think about it Cammie left because she was an advocate of Nintendo making UGC games. Something Nintendo now doesn't want to do. How could she really been an advocate for this moment when.

Cammie Dunaway is Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing.
What does this have to do with game design? Malstrom has stated that Nintendo slowed momentum of the Wii by releasing UGC games during 08. Those games where Wii Music, and Animal Crossing City Folk.

According to this In a 2006 interview, Katsuya Eguchi, leader of Animal Crossing's production development, stated, "someone could send a letter from their cellphone or from an email address on a PC to the Wii, and then the player living in the town in Animal Crossing could receive that letter."[6] In another interview with IGN, Katsuya Eguchi also discussed how his team continues exploring potential ways to take advantage of the WiiConnect24 feature such as allowing friends to visit other towns or leave messages while the machine is in standby mode.

The same for Wii Music. The game was also the first Wii game ever to be demonstrated during Nintendo's E3 2006 press conference, where Shigeru Miyamoto came up to the stage to perform the The Legend of Zelda Overworld Theme for the audience using the Orchestra game.

Both games were in development before Cammie Dunaway was hired by Nintendo. Since she was hired their have been no other UGC games released on a big scale. Expect for 2 DS games Mario&Donkey, and Wario Ware. Both which were develop by Nintendo of Japan. So I really doubt Cammie had any kind of pull to make them design a game for her.
UGC is Malstroms' Bigfoot something he says is real but has very little proof behind it. Instead he throws yet another radical HARDCORE statement out their. With the majority of people on the site letting it just slide like it didn't happen. Now if it was someone else then their would be a thread about it. Dissecting every little letter for their secrets.

If you been drinking the Malstrom kool aid I recommend you stop now. I think its getting close to the time of the arrival of the mother ship. AKA mass suicide! 

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

Around the Network

There is a simple explanation for Cammie Dunaway leaving. She is taking the fall early on so that none of Nintendo's Game God Developers have to answer any questions on why the Wii has lost steam over the last couple years. A high level marketing VP resigns to a new job outside of gaming with glowing letters of recommendation and no one else gets the blame pinned on them for their shoddy games.

Couple this with "personal and family reasons," Dunaway is leaving at exactly the right time. Nintendo's software numbers will surge come the holidays as is natural with the release of big games and the time of the year. By the time Dunaway is done redecorating her new office, Nintendo's stock price will be up and her tenure of overseeing the mid-life crisis of the Wii will be forgotten as the blame is placed on poorly developed games during that period.

It looks like Americans are doing their best to save M:OM from failure and prove Malstrom at least partially wrong...   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

It looks like Americans are doing their best to save M:OM from failure and prove Malstrom at least partially wrong...   

I don't see how the legs show anything like that. It just shows the opening kept this from totally flopping, but that was it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I don't see how the legs show anything like that. It just shows the opening kept this from totally flopping, but that was it.

Wait for Xmas before declaring it a half flop, Nintendo invested time, money and resources on M:OM, I really can't believe it won't try to push it together with its other new games for the next holidays.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game, I wouldn't buy it for even less flaws or aspects of the game I don't like than all those that Malstrom and other old fans of the series criticize, but Malstrom let his tastes drive too much his reason this time, sometimes it looks like he ignores or just wants to ignore that Sakamoto can't have done anything without the big bosses approval. His crusade against him is just a crabby hissy fit that is lasting far too long, if M:OM will flop he should attack instead all the Nintendo execs that let Sakamoto do what he never tried to hide he wanted to.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Wait for Xmas before declaring it a half flop, Nintendo invested time, money and resources on M:OM, I really can't believe it won't try to push it together with its other new games for the next holidays.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game, I wouldn't buy it for even less flaws or aspects of the game I don't like than all those that Malstrom and other old fans of the series criticize, but Malstrom let his tastes drive too much his reason this time, sometimes it looks like he ignores or just wants to ignore that Sakamoto can't have done anything without the big bosses approval. His crusade against him is just a crabby hissy fit that is lasting far too long, if M:OM will flop he should attack instead all the Nintendo execs that let Sakamoto do what he never tried to hide he wanted to.

Exactly. I'll reiterate again that the suits thought this was going to be the big Metroid game, and the superficial evidence points towards that. Other M trended more towards other mainstream Action games, and the story was built to appeal to the Japanese, the game's weakest market previously. They let Sakamoto do this because they thought it could get Metroid out of its long-term rut that even Retro couldn't get it out of (despite short-term successes)

Likewise, the suits will now push Metroid away from the Other M epoch (or at least push it away from being a cinematic game. I rather hope they keep a lot of the mechanics of Other M for their next console title), since Other M failed to get Metroid out of the rut as well.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.