By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mr Khan said:
Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:

Malstrom's overestimating the decline of the franchise, i think. So long as Other M clears a million, it'll be "fine" for a Metroid title, and Nintendo won't make a backlash against Sakamoto

Evidence points the other way. I could find a heap of stuff where people just hate Other M. Miost of it is on Malstrom's blog.

I'll post it here some other time.

I'm talking about sales almost exclusively here. The whims of public opinion will matter little.

And under Malstrom's logic, it would be relatively easy to win back any gamers that Other M pushed away with a more traditional Metroid title, though Other M will likely only fall a few hundred thousand short of the definitive traditional Metroid title (Super), if not match it

It's a franchise whose sales have been essentially flat for the last twenty years, except for Prime, and if it took the best game of all time to push sales up for this franchise, sales expectations are generally going to stay grounded.

I want you to go and brake a vase, afterwards try to put it back together.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:

Malstrom's overestimating the decline of the franchise, i think. So long as Other M clears a million, it'll be "fine" for a Metroid title, and Nintendo won't make a backlash against Sakamoto

Evidence points the other way. I could find a heap of stuff where people just hate Other M. Miost of it is on Malstrom's blog.

I'm talking about sales almost exclusively here. The whims of public opinion will matter little.

And under Malstrom's logic, it would be relatively easy to win back any gamers that Other M pushed away with a more traditional Metroid title, though Other M will likely only fall a few hundred thousand short of the definitive traditional Metroid title (Super), if not match it

It's a franchise whose sales have been essentially flat for the last twenty years, except for Prime, and if it took the best game of all time to push sales up for this franchise, sales expectations are generally going to stay grounded.

Shigeru Miyamoto had his hands deep in the development of Prime. This is part of the reason it sold so much due to Miyamoto emphasizing gameplay over a cinematic, wannabe movie type game that the likes of Kojima and Sakamoto turn out with their Metal Gear and Metroid games. To be fair, this is Sakamoto's first Metroid game with current technology. Fusion does not count because it is a handheld and you can't play a movie on handhelds.

What you are arguing for is for Sakamoto to be thrown under the bus and for Miyamoto to pick up where he left off in the Prime series. If the sales have been "flat" for the past 20 years, then Miyamoto getting involved is a good thing because the Metroid Prime series sold more than Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid combined.

The ironic thing, Sakamoto was heavily involved with the developmento f Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

From a business perspective, Sakamoto needs to go and Miyamoto needs to be given the franchise due to his hand in making the Prime series the best selling Metroid mini-series.

Killiana1a said:

Shigeru Miyamoto had his hands deep in the development of Prime. This is part of the reason it sold so much due to Miyamoto emphasizing gameplay over a cinematic, wannabe movie type game that the likes of Kojima and Sakamoto turn out with their Metal Gear and Metroid games. To be fair, this is Sakamoto's first Metroid game with current technology. Fusion does not count because it is a handheld and you can't play a movie on handhelds.

What you are arguing for is for Sakamoto to be thrown under the bus and for Miyamoto to pick up where he left off in the Prime series. If the sales have been "flat" for the past 20 years, then Miyamoto getting involved is a good thing because the Metroid Prime series sold more than Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid combined.

The ironic thing, Sakamoto was heavily involved with the development of Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

From a business perspective, Sakamoto needs to go and Miyamoto needs to be given the franchise due to his hand in making the Prime series the best selling Metroid mini-series.

Sakamoto wasn't involved with Metroid II. He was the director for Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, probably for Metroid: Other M, too. He was designer for Metroid: Other M, and he was the writer for Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Other M, probably for Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Metroid, though I am not certain on the last two.

Rhonin the wizard said:
Killiana1a said:

The ironic thing, Sakamoto was heavily involved with the development of Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

Sakamoto wasn't involved with Metroid II. He was the director for Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, probably for Metroid: Other M, too. He was designer for Metroid: Other M, and he was the writer for Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Other M, probably for Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Metroid, though I am not certain on the last two.

I am not out to win an argument. I want to illuminate the sales because once they are known and shown in their context, Sakamoto really looks like an average developer riding off the coattails of Gunpei Yokoi all the while getting comparisons to Miyamoto because he was working at Nintendo at the time Miyamoto was creating video games as we know them today.

The point is, Miyamoto's involvement has meant a greater rate of sales compared to the Metroid games Sakamoto has been involved in. Miyamoto has been involved in 3 Metroid games, where Sakamoto has been involved in 5 now with Other M. Here are the numbers courtesy of VGChartz and Wikipedia for Zero Mission's numbers:

Sakamoto:

Metroid - 2.73 million

Super Metroid - 1.42 million

Metroid: Fusion - 1.55 million

Metroid: Zero Mission - 508,000

Total - 6.2 million

Miyamoto:

Metroid Prime - 2.83 million

Metroid Prime 2 - 1.29 million

Metroid Prime 3 - 1.56 million

Total - 5.68 million

So in 3 games, Miyamoto has made enough of the Metroid series in one decade; it took Sakamoto 3 decades (1980s, 1990s, and 2000s) to do. Miyamoto did it in a far less shorter time with far less help from newer consoles. Yes, Sakamoto's involvement has coincided with a higher total sales number over three decades, but fixating on that misses the entire issue. The Prime series was on the Gamecube which had it's ass handed to it thoroughly by the PS2. It took Sakamoto creating Metroid games on the NES, SNES, and GBA to reach his numbers.

I wonder if Sakamoto can reach and beat 5.68 million total sales with three Other M games on the Wii? I highly doubt it.

Also, why the steep drop off from Fusion to Zero Mission?

There is a thread on this topic with the Metroid series sales about "cross generation series sales" by LordTheNightKnight. Here is the thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=116201&page=1#10

Smashchu2 said:
UncleScrooge said:
Smashchu2 said:
UncleScrooge said:

this is not how disuption works

The 3DS can't disrupt the 3D TV business because TV's and the 3DS don't compete over the same audience.

I'm going to have to ask that you pull a quote that supports this. I have never heard that mentioned. Remember that products fulfill a job, and anything else that fulfills the job is an alternative. So I'll have to see a quote or I'll haver to call bull.

When I made that post I knew someone was going to get me because of the products doing the same job Of course that explanation wasn't correct so I can't give you a quote for it.

Let me put it this way: The products are not doing the same job. The 3DS was primarily made to play videogames not to watch movies. So the job the 3DS fulfills is still playing games. I stated earlier that the movie player seems to be targeted at distant customers (at least that's the way it looks from what we've seen) and not at people overshot by 3DTV.

I was one of those people who were really on the fence regarding the iPod disrupting Nintendo's handheld market precicely because of this. One product does the job of another one but only as a secondary function (iPod playing games, 3DS playing movies) and both do it in a way that could be described as disruptive.

I've never seen a quote from Christensen that a secondary function of a product that was designed to do a different job disrupted a market it wasn't really in. The 3DS's job is to play games not to watch movies in 3D. If there are indicators that the 3DS could disrupt 3DTV feel free to give me a quote or something. We're all here to learn, I don't mind being proven wrong. If we don't agree I could also shoot a mail to Malstrom.

But I guess you didn't want to tell me it could disrupt 3DTV, you just disliked my (wrong) reasoning, right?

Edit: Ok I just re-read your post and I think I know what you mean now so I'll clarify. My first statement was an answer to his whole post in which he did some mistakes regarding disruption. The second statement was in no way related to the first one. It wasn't meant to be read like "this is not how disruption works because they do not compete over the same audience." I realize it must have sounded weird that way. I just didn't want to discuss that point because I would've had to explain it in so much detail.

I'll have to call BS then. No quote, no go.

The 3DS does indeed play 3D movies, and has the capabilities to do so. It is beating TVs to the punch in this regard. So yes, it can fill the same job (ever think to yourself, "gee, it sure is weird Nintendo put movie playback in the 3DS when they've never done it before.") Christensen, nor anyone else for that matter, has not set boundries for disruption. Everything and anything can be disrupted. Remember thatsome disruptions make new markets.

Yeah... you know it's still not gonna do it. Give me a quote that actually supports this special claim you make (besides "everything and everything can be disrupted" ) and I'll gladly agree with you.

Oh and I never wondered why Nintendo put movie playback in there. It's to get the distant customers. Not to disrupt 3DTV.

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:
Mr Khan said:
Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:

I want you to go and brake a vase, afterwards try to put it back together.

We went 15 years without a Super Mario Bros 5 (18 if we discount handhelds), and those gamers came back in part. Metroid gamers, tending to be from a segment of gamers that are more informed on the whole, would likely be yet more responsive if they were made well aware if a Metroid game was made to their tastes, and it's doubtful that they would have to wait 18 years for it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:

Sales for the game aren't very strong to begin with. It's doing OK in the US, but it's flopping worldwide. It's already gotten bumped out of the UK top 40. I don't think it will last long in the US either thanks to bad publisity.

Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:
Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:

Sales for the game aren't very strong to begin with. It's doing OK in the US, but it's flopping worldwide. It's already gotten bumped out of the UK top 40. I don't think it will last long in the US either thanks to bad publisity.

From this site even.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

From what I have observed, games rarely increase their sales outisde of the first month. The first week and first month are the prime indicators whether a game will have legs or not. Then again, the best way to make sure a game sells is to bundle it like Sony did with Gran Turismo 3. Personally, I discount games sold in bundles entirely because you cannot gauge with any accuracy whether the console was purchased because of the game or whether customers buying the console had to buy the bundled console because the console maker did not give them a choice.

Metroid: Other M may pick up a couple hundred thousand more come the holidays, but I have a hard time seeing it top 1 million by next summer.

In other words, Metroid: Other M is trending to be the biggest console Metroid flop and may end up selling less than Super Metroid, which according to VGChartz sold 1.42 million lifetime.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=Metroid

Metroid: Other M stands at 370,000 copies sold right now.

Email: Hilariously bad

Greetings!

I am a big fan of your articles and I am right now dedicating my time to reading your blog posts from the very beginning. In the meantime, however, I am sending you this link because I thought you would have a laugh:
Seriously, it is unbelievable how Feder doesn’t seem to understand the “casual gaming” market and why the 360/PS3 failed to bring in that audience. But I wonder what do you think. Are Sony and Microsoft walking towards a dead end….or do Feder’s words have some merit afterall (although I personally do not see it)?
Thank you for all your effort. Looking forward to reading more of your work.
Instead of reading old blog posts, you are better off reading Christenson’s disruption books and the Blue Ocean Strategy. You will get REAL insight instead of chatter that may not make sense since it was delivered years ago which had a different context.
What caused the Wii (and even DS) sales eruptions was the Lost Generation. These were gamers who got into gaming during the Atari Era, 8-bit Era, 16-bit Era, Arcade Era, and even the brand new gamers were attracted to simpler games that had elements of these previous eras. For example, NSMB DS attracted these former gamers but also attracted brand new gamers.

No one in the ‘Industry’ realizes this, most certainly not the CEO of Take Two (who it appears Michael Pachter chats with often and uses the CEO’s lines as his own). They look at the DS and Wii and see only in a shallow lens of ‘marketing campaign’, the ‘Miis’, the ‘new interface’, and the ‘kinder and gentler games’. Remember, the Game Industry does not know much about gaming or gamers. If you ask the Industry about gamers, they would just vomit demographic data back to you. It is a Machine World with them and so their games feel machine made. Soul-less.

As a fan of the original Gameboy, I did not buy the Gameboy Advance. I was upset that the so-called ‘SNES equivalent portable’ did not have the SNES controller scheme (as well as stupid things like no headset port). When the DS came around, it had the SNES button layout, and I thought, “Hot dog! Now all we need is some more 2d Mario, not a port but a new one, and I am on!” After E3 2005 when NSMB DS was shown, I got a DS after not buying a dedicated video game system since the launch of the SNES.

The DS became very popular. Why? The games hit the ‘sweet spot’. They were very ‘SNES-like’ in that they shorter, smaller, but packed a good burst of fun. Also wonderful was the wireless connections of the DS. I couldn’t get enough of the download feature where multiple DS players could play off of one cartridge. That was brilliant. I loved playing 8 player Bomberman from one cartridge! I loved the simpler but niftier RPGs on the system that were very pick-up-and-play. I liked the arcade-like gameplay we got. Some people said that the DS ‘beat the SNES’. I wouldn’t go that far, but the DS really had those arcade style games plus many innovative games. No matter what you liked, you would find it on DS. Everything was represented.

This is why I worry about 3DS. It gives me deja vu of N64. The control scheme is scary like the N64 controller (remember how uncomfortable the DS would be to hold after a while? Going to be worse with that ‘slide’ analog controller). Every game is going to have to be in 3d so it can use the 3DS’s ‘main feature’. Games are going to be longer, more console-like. The idea of Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 being ‘handheld games’ is a joke because these games are so time consuming that it boggles the mind how anyone could think they would be ‘handheld experiences’. Remember that Mario 64 DS only resulted in the PSP outselling the DS.

But going back to Wii, the system hit high velocity from the start because everyone assumed the ‘old Nintendo’ was back. After all, Nintendo presented the Wii as a 21st century version of the NES as the Wii controller is the NES controller turned sideways. There was the Virtual Console. Games like Wii Sports took inspiration from the NES sports games. While the Wii phenomenon of ‘house parties’ and families playing together was surprising, it was not new. It was done with the Atari and the NES. The Wii recreated that phenomenon and pulled back those gamers who had left. The only thing that was really ‘new’ from the Wii was Wii Fit.

I think Nintendo is seeing that relationship more clearly now. When Mario 5 was about to be released, Reggie was asked, “Who is this game for? It clearly isn’t for the hardcore gamer. And it isn’t for the ‘casual’ gamer?” Reggie answered, “It is for… other gamers.” On TV prior to Mario 5′s release, Reggie was asked, “The Wii was out of stock for several holiday seasons. Do you see the same occurring this season?” Reggie replied no. Wii sales had been declining so much that their warehouses had to have been stuffed (due to the large production of Wii systems to meet prior demand). After Mario 5 came out, Wii hardware sold out in America. Wii controllers sold out in Japan. Mario 5, itself, went out of stock in many places which I had never seen for a massively produced disc game. Wii hardware, worldwide, got a boost. So there is clearly a relationship between the Lost Generation and Wii phenomenon.

This is why Move and Kinect are not going to amount more than curiosities to gadgeteers. In order for Move and Kinect to succeed, they must sell to Sean Malstrom. These people do not want to sell to me. If they cannot get to me, who does like games, how are they going to get to people who do not like games? How are they going to get to the housewife? Or to grandpa? You cannot get to the non-gamers until you get to the former-gamers.

The Take Two CEO has the power of market data at his fingertips. The fact that he is citing his son’s experience is evidence there is no market data to support his assertions.

Disinterest in the status quo of gaming is what built the hype and subsequent sales explosion of the Wii. People anticipated the Wii thinking back of the glory days of the 8-bit and 16-bit generation and thought, “Remember when games were fun?” Sony’s $600 Blu-Ray monstrosity and Microsoft’s red-ring-of-death X-box made those systems seem ‘corporate’. Machine-like. Soul-less. (Of course, Nintendo not understanding why customers were reacting to their product so well only went on to blow it with Wii Music and User Generated Content, Metroid: Other M, multiple 3d Marios, etc. But that is another story…).

Ask anyone about Move or Kinect and the consumer reaction is that this is a corporate response, not a gaming response. Everyone can clearly see what is animating Move and Kinect is coming from the suits who want that Wii success.

If there is any sentiment that unites gamers today, it is the sense that video games are now ‘too corporate’, too artificial, ‘too much Industry’. Aside from gadgeteers, do PS3 owners and Xbox 360 owners wish to buy Move and Kinect? The answer is largely, “Not really.”

It is ironic that Move and Kinect are trying to offer a ‘better experience’ to the Wii consumer when that was their exact marketing statement in 2006. PS3 and Xbox 360 were always a ‘better experience’ than the Wii… if you looked at the experience only in purely status quo ways. But now the Wii is the status quo. Microsoft and Sony’s direction hasn’t changed. “A better experience…” The Wii consumer would rather have a different experience… Or to be more precise, the Wii consumer wishes a better gaming experience… What does HD graphics, Blu-Ray, processing power, controller-free gaming, better-motion controller, etc. have to do with the gaming experience?

Gaming is the unexplored continent. People are not going to get excited to pay more money to go to a place (the Wii experience) that we have been before.

Email: Why Metroid is dear to me…

i borrowed metroid when i was younger from a friend, about the age of 10-12 years of age when the snes and genesis were starting their popular rise.  i don’t know anything about this game.  i put the game in and he introduces me from the start several things to start on, such as getting the morphball first, but other then that he didn’t went far.  he lent me this game along with some several titles of nes games.  i played with metroid and it’s very hard as you’d end up in places where you’re blocked, either because you don’t have an item to destroy it or that you don’t have the proper equipment, such as stumbling into a red door or a cracked wall.  you keep searching and then you find this thing.  i don’t know what the hell it looks like because sometimes you just get something without realizing what it is and i don’t have the manual for the game.  so you got this thing and then what exactly is it.  you press start and there’s no subscreen like in zelda and then you press various different combo buttons and nothing.  until you pressed select.  i didn’t have many games that used the select button.  then you start experimenting with this thing and you find out that it can open those red boors.  so you go back to previous locations that had red doors to find out what’s behind them.

i played this game without any help at all.  you’d end up going back and forth when something new came your way.  you got the bomb, so that means you can destroy damaged blocks, those that are visible.  you didn’t even realize that there were regular blocks that were breakable.  i found that out accidentally when i shot the corner of a platform, realizing that if that thing is breakable with my weapon, then it’s also breakable with the bomb.  so now we go the entire place bombing floors and anything that was conceiveable.  guess what, that wasn’t the end.  not only was it the floors but it was also the walls and ceiling.  so everytime you enter a room, you’d end up performing the room inspection routine to see if there are any hidden passages, which one hopes that it leads to a very good reward, like a power-up.  i figured out about the walls from obtaining the wave beam.  i started shooting the walls and suddenly saw one of the blocks disappeared like when you bomb it and discovered about ceiling when you blew up a floor and fell to a room below.  when you found these thing, you end up thining and seeing things differently in the game.

i like those fake floors and fake lava pits as well as those fake destroyable walls, ceilings and floors that leads to nowhere other then to trick the gamer.  i like that walk way with the energy tank waiting at the end of the room and upon near it, you fall down a hole and as the player got tricked thinking it’s a floor while in fact there was no floor.  the players responce would be, what the fuck!  omg!  as they not only got tricked but at the same time, will have landed someplace where they have never been before and that is very dangerous.

the only help i got from friends were from the bosses.  but the strategy for beating the bosses sucks as i got better at the game.  typically, people would get the wave beam and shoot ridley from the bottom pit while jumping with the varia suit.  i find that ineffective.  btw, the most powerful beam is the wave beam but the most efficient beam is the ice beam.

in metroid, you spend a lot of your time walking around the entire place figuring out if it was a secret or not that leads to either a reward or a step closer into fulfilling your goal/mission.  it is correct to say that metroid is a very tough game.  i don’t know if it’s as tough as cuntra because i didn’t like cuntra.  but metroid for the nes is a tough game.

memorable moments in metroid.
this room where it was a trick to the player,
there are two of them, one is a reward while the other is a god damn nightmare.  i still forget from time to time when i play metroid.

one of the biggest, motherfucker moments in metroid is just when you thought it was over, after beating mother brain, it tells you that you need to get out before the timer runs out.   when you just have beaten a game, you’d expect some sort of an ending or something to show up after beating the last boss.  but not metroid.  metroid tells you that you got one thorn before you can relax.  my god it was nerve recking as you’re trying to not fall from those small ledges while at the same time you’re conscious of the timer ticking away and the damn thing feels like forever.

but when all is done, the reward is very very pleasurably rewarding.

i only played metroid 2 when metroid 3 was released.  it caused me to revisit metroid and it’s series.  knowing that a single metroid existed in metroid 2 stirred my interest as to explore what happened in the previous metroid when i played metroid 3.  it was only during the release of the gameboy color that i manage to play metroid 2.  and just like metroid 1, metroid 2 is just as nuts as metroid 1 except it was also confusing.  what was worse in metroid 2 was when you’re casualy exploring and suddenly encounter a metroid.  you’re like, “oh shit, run for your life!”  rofl!

i love these moments from playing these games.  but it sucks that there aren’t any other games as good as metroid 1 and metroid 2.  metroid 3 is very very easy.  every other metroid game ever since metroid 3 feels different.  i can’t comment on prime as i’m not a big fan of fps games [i get headaches].  metroid prime 2 felt very cliched with the dark and light concept and metroid prime 3, when i first played, stopped after 30 minutes when it tried to be like a regular fps.  in prime 3, what was up with having to deal with the officers?!  awkward! very awkward!

My experiences were very similar to yours. What you are responding to in these early Metroid games is the amazing precision of the clockwork mechanics of the gameplay. It is similar to how Super Mario Brothers is about the ‘jump’ and ‘bounce’ and even how Mario’s momentum changes even when hitting a block with his head. The mechanics are so well there. Like gears, they are nicely interlocked and is a joy to play the game.

Unfortunately for us, Nintendo developers no longer look at games this way. They see all this stuff and think it is ‘boring’ (because it is hard for the developer). They then only choose to see stuff like ‘story’ and ‘cutscenes’ and ‘emotions’ and ‘puzzles’ and ‘surprises’ (because it is easy for the developer).

Thinking about NES Metroid, I recalled how I initially thought something in the game was broken because of the spin jump. Samus had two jumps. She had the normal jump that you would see in platformers and then that spin jump. The spin jump was very difficult to control and resulted in me falling into lava, filled with dangerous enemies, resulting in my death multiple times. When I played, I tried to use the spin jump as less as possible. And then I got the Screw Attack where I suddenly realized how awesome the spin jump was. I then used the spin jump as much as possible. A complete reversal than how I started!

It is said that a feature of Metroid is ‘backtracking’. Well, backtracking is actually boring. What I think is really going on is ‘Chekov’s Gun’. Chekov’s Gun is the principle that if a gun is hanging on the mantle in Act 1, the gun should be firing in Act 3. People confuse this with foreshadowing which it isn’t at all. Chekov’s Gun is not cheating the audience. A gun doesn’t magically appear on the stage. The gun was always on the stage! So the audience doesn’t feel cheated when the gun is used. In fact, it feels proper that the gun to be used.

Remember passing through the area that leads to Kraid’s Lair at the start of the game? You didn’t have bombs. You didn’t even know what bombs were. But you could see creatures crawling around underneath you. You assumed that was there for decoration purposes or there was another way to get in there like an adjacent door through another corridor. It didn’t occur to you that you could break open the floor.

So when you got the bomb and realized you could bomb those blocks, you backtracked to that location to go through the floor. Instead of being a ‘useless prop’, the creatures and the area below actually became integral to the game. Or another example was my experience with the spinning jump. That had no purpose. It seemed like a silly prop that kept getting me killed. But once I got the screw attack, Chekov’s gun was firing.

Metroid is the first console game I know that uses Chekov’s Gun and remains the only platformer to do so. It is a great contrast to the Find X item to pass X obstacle. You know the yellow key opens the yellow door. But Chekov’s Gun is taking a prop of the game and turning it into an essential element. In Metroid II, the caverns all had ceilings. Everyone knew this. But you didn’t think anything of it. Who cares about the ceilings? And then you got the Spider Ball that allowed you to roll across ceilings. Suddenly, the ceilings became VERY IMPORTANT. You went back to previous ceilings to see if there was any hidden items. The Space Jump is another example. There were HUGE areas in Metroid II. You didn’t think much of them. Once you got the Space Jump, those huge areas became very accessible as you were flying through them.

Chekov’s Gun is behind much of the ‘magical moments’ of Super Metroid. Remember the metal corridor in Brinstar that you ran through early in the game but shattered with a power bomb to get to Maridia? Chekov’s gun is at work. In Act 1, it was just a prop of a glass corridor. In Act 4, it was shattered by a powerbomb to lead to a new area. No one knew at the time it could shatter. It wasn’t the Power-Bomb-opens-Yellow-Doors. That corridor was re-used in one of the GBA Metroids since it made such an impression.

Another example of Chekov’s Gun, of taking a seemingly innocent prop and turning it into an important part, is the open area around the ship. At the beginning, you don’t think about the mountains. However, once you get the space jump, the sly player will think, “Hey, if I can jump infinitely through the air, what if I space jump in the open atmosphere?” The result is that you get to explore the tops of those mountains and there are items up there. Chekov’s Gun is at work.

The Super Missile was not using Chekov’s Gun. It just opened green doors. Ooohhh. But if you recall, the Super Missile also rattled the world and made things fall. A proper use of Chekov’s Gun would have to hang something innocently from the ceilings that looks like a prop. But when you super missiled the wall, the prop would fall down and become integral to the game. Perhaps it was an item or a monster or something. But this is far more thrilling than the Find X item to pass X obstacle which is the equivalent of finding keys to pass locked doors.

(I can understand your frustration with the Prime games. They were well made, but very inaccessible due to being first person and being full 3d.)

in zelda, why does link look normal, while the enemies look like caricatures or they look weird?!

This is a good question. I played Ocarina of Time well after the fact and recall how much more fun the enemies were because they didn’t look weird. In later Zelda games, the enemies look really atrociously bad. In Skyward Sword,, they look worse than ever before. I don’t feel comfortable with these enemies. Enemies should look badass, not like something I cringe when looking at.

samus aran with big boobs?!  i don’t want to see that because it feminizes her and i feel that after going through the adventures of metroid 1 and metroid 2, we can say that she isn’t a normal female.  i’m still waiting for that next mission and nintendo hasn’t delivered that next mission.  also, bounty hunter?!  how the hell did that happened?!  i thought she was what you’d label as those special guys you’d use when the regular guys couldn’t get the job done.

Cold and efficient. This is what people thought of her. Sakamoto has turned her into a bimbo who can’t shut up, who has big boobs with skin tight clothing, and needs authorization of everything from her ‘superior’.

Sakamoto Cultists gasp and say, “How can you say that? Even in NES Metroid, Samus was shown in a bikini.” How to explain it to them? It is a subject of fundamental Human Nature.

If men like boobies, why do they not ogle breast cancer brochures or medical anatomy charts? It is because it is not about the boobies. It is about women showing them. If a woman was known to show her boobies to everyone, the man will dramatically lose interest and move on. Boobies do not have value unless they are shown exclusively to him.

Metroid did something very slick with its ending. The better job you do, the more skin you got to see at the end. Women deploy this trick on men in real life as well.

By using the Zero Suit as a normal occurrence, of the skin tight Samus as a normal thing, it takes away the reward of her ‘showing us’ herself and turns her into a generic bimbo. Sexiness requires class. Sakamoto’s Samus, despite prancing around in a skin tight outfit more than any previous Metroid game before, comes across as less sexy than in previous Metroids.

Finally figured out I can just use the table system for this. It was so simple, yet the obvious solutions are often overlooked.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs