By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Big Will NSMB Wii Be? Possibly 9 Million Before the End of the Year?

It just can't believe that the low prediction will become pessimistic, really.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Around the Network
ioi said:
950k -> 450k -> 275k -> 300k -> 250k -> 150k looks about right to me for Japan.

actual numbers are 950k -> 450k -> 530k

looks like the game is a break out hit

as far as BIG HITS go anyway

hello how are you.

No one should ever doubt the power of a 2d Mario, I did, i look stupid for doing so. I am just impress how well this game has done. A real system seller and the funny thing is 2 years from now, it will be selling great. Just insane.

Bravo Nintendo.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
No one should ever doubt the power of a 2d Mario, I did, i look stupid for doing so. I am just impress how well this game has done. A real system seller and the funny thing is 2 years from now, it will be selling great. Just insane.

Bravo Nintendo.

Well I think Nintendo had us all under estimating.  Even some of the highest predictions was only about 6 million by the end of the year.  So really I think this is more or less just performing on a level that none of us could have ever expected.  Reminds me of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games when we thought their 4 million projection was ludacris and now it is almost at 12 million with a sequel over 3 million.  So with that and apparently this, we were all just taken back and surprised of how big of a breakout hit this game actually is.  Only one who doesn't seem to be surprised is Nintendo themselves. 

But yea 2D Mario is defintely something else it seems.  I had really never thought of the difference being too much, but apparently I was completely wrong in that aspect as it seems 2D Mario is where the heart of the franchise is at.  This game has just been able to hit mainstream appeal of not only the gamers of old, but new gamers, young gamers, old gamers, etc.  Everyone just wants to play Mario at his best. 

Zucas said:
psrock said:

Bravo Nintendo.

Well I think Nintendo had us all under estimating.  Even some of the highest predictions was only about 6 million by the end of the year.  So really I think this is more or less just performing on a level that none of us could have ever expected.  Reminds me of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games when we thought their 4 million projection was ludacris and now it is almost at 12 million with a sequel over 3 million.  So with that and apparently this, we were all just taken back and surprised of how big of a breakout hit this game actually is.  Only one who doesn't seem to be surprised is Nintendo themselves. 

But yea 2D Mario is defintely something else it seems.  I had really never thought of the difference being too much, but apparently I was completely wrong in that aspect as it seems 2D Mario is where the heart of the franchise is at.  This game has just been able to hit mainstream appeal of not only the gamers of old, but new gamers, young gamers, old gamers, etc.  Everyone just wants to play Mario at his best. 

Few games are popular in very territory, this one does. Few games appeal to all group of people ( children, teens, adult, elders), this one does. I have at least 3 women in my job talking about get NSMB, seriously. They usually ignore me when I try to talk about games I like.

The Wii needed it and it delivered.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Kantor said:
5.1 million in 3 weeks?

1.7 million per week?

No. NO game sells those sorts of numbers.

I'd be tempted to bring this to his wall if it weren't for the fact that he miscounted

1.3 seems like something Mario can do

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
5.1 million in 3 weeks?

1.7 million per week?

No. NO game sells those sorts of numbers.

I'd be tempted to bring this to his wall if it weren't for the fact that he miscounted

1.3 seems like something Mario can do

Well he actually quoted wrong as he said 3 weeks when my predictions are over 4 weeks but yes he definitely didn't see it likely.  But this is Mario we are talking about haha.

But this game blasted anyone's expectations.  Hell the way it is selling is making the 11 million 1 year predictions look pessimistic haha.  Hell at first glance I was only thinking 5-6 million by the end of the year and well I'm going to fall way short. 

Zucas said:

Well he actually quoted wrong as he said 3 weeks when my predictions are over 4 weeks but yes he definitely didn't see it likely.  But this is Mario we are talking about haha.

But this game blasted anyone's expectations.  Hell the way it is selling is making the 11 million 1 year predictions look pessimistic haha.  Hell at first glance I was only thinking 5-6 million by the end of the year and well I'm going to fall way short. 

ioi might fall short too, is the interesting part.

All I know is that it has no chance of reaching 11 mil in less than a year.

Khuutra said:
Zucas said:

ioi might fall short too, is the interesting part.

Well that is very possible.  He said 8.6 million and my middle ground is 8.3 million.  Mine's easily going  to get beat and maybe ioi as well.  I'll probably know quite well after we see American and European data for last week.  But I guess more or less it is going to depend on how big sales are for the week that includes Christmas.  I think they are going to be bigger than normal this year just because of how many days it covers along with "boxing day" or the day after Christmas.