By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will sony make the biggest turn around in gaming history?!?!?!

my bad zackblue, i just assumed that the article was also talking about the wii. cuz honestly while unlikely at this point, it definitely would not be worthy of anything near the greatest comeback in gaming history if the ps3 simply beat the 360.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Around the Network

@Zack - as numerous people have pointed out even with the increase in sales of the PS3 the gap in installed base between the 360 and PS3 is still widening - 300K units for the entire month of October and 39K in the last week ...

Too somehow read into that that the PS3 is now "poised" for some comeback defies logic.

As for $'s spent - consumers are still spending more in total on the 360 on hardware alone. If you throw in games to the mix the $'s spent on the 360 dwarf the PS3 substantially. If I recall correctly the week ending 10/27 had the 360 with 16 titles in the top 200 America's Chart with lifetime sales of over 500K ... the PS3 had 2.

Its not that gamers don't spend money on consoles and games - it is that they spend money where they see value. Right now that is with the Wii and 360 with the PS3 a distant third.

ioi - "I have always endorsed NPD and have always conceded that their figures are obviously far more accurate than ours ..." - Posted on: 06/14/07, 22:22

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=355

Simply put. Yes!!! Sony will turn the tables :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I do see some signs of this - but its more due to the 360 weakening (UK was never its strongest market to start with), and the PS3 picking up due to price cuts (etc...).

PS3 sales in Europe dropped by 30% (!) last week, which is pretty significant. If the 40Gig model fails to take off (i.e. Sony has misread the market, and the importance of PS2 compat) sales could drop even more significantly - and they could be in for a sucky Xmas.

360 is still trouncing the PS3 in the US (next week will be critical), and PS3 sales have been so lacklustre in Japan (even post new models & price drop - sales only increased by around 6k / week!) - that even with the 360 selling almost 0 units, the difference hasn't been enough to really hurt MS.

The danger for Sony comes in the next few weeks in Japan - where MS has a real chance of building some solid momentum. If Ace Combat sells 100k (over a couple of weeks), and the 360 sales boost to 10k / week (or more) - there will be a real danger of the 360 outselling the PS3 in Japan (at least over a short term) - or at least nullifying Sony's "home ground advantage".

What I find amazing is this: even with the (relatively) piss-poor performance of the 360 in Japan - the PS3 is only 700k units ahead.

And as for "biggest turn around in gaming history" - that is a load of bolony. Sony has gone from an unassailable #1 position (just 2 years ago?) in the console space - to being in serious risk of not only coming 3rd - but having "failures" with both the CELL & BluRay (never have lived up to expectations).

If Sony does come third this gen, THAT will be the "biggest turn around in gaming history". Anything else, will be a minor face saving gesture. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I don't think it can be considered the biggest comeback in gaming history... I really don't think that after less than 15% of the total sales of consoles for this generation that you can consider any changes in order of manufacturers a "great" comeback... Especially since two manufacturers are only one year in...

I don't really think any analyst in the industry has wrote off Sony in any way yet. Has there been disappointment? Probably... But, none of the analysts seem to think Sony will finish 3rd so is that really a comeback? And if it is a comeback is it really the greatest comeback ever?

Around the Network

The truest points have already been made. Nintendo has made the biggest turnaround and has had the most amazing lifespan the industry has ever seen. Sony made the quickest downfall from popular support even surpassing Nintendo's. If Sony were to come back now, it wouldn't be as massive a feat because it is still not far from PS2 in terms of adoption, but I really don't see it happening, not when Sony is pulling PS2 compatibility, not when the PS3 is still missing the mark in sales coming into November, not when there are no killer games this holiday season, not when Walmart has an HD-DVD player this weekend for $99, not while Wii and 360 are going strong into the holidays in contrast.

WITH THESE PREDICTIONS I MEAN WEEKLY

PS3 will overtake the 360 worldwide once Metal Gear Solid is released.

PS3 will overtake the PSP worldwide once Grand Theft Auto 4 is released.

PS3 will overtake the Wii worldwide once Final Fantasy XIII is released.

Im not sure about the DS though. If FFXIII is as big as I think its gunna be PS3 might end up killing all of the competition. The only problem Sony has is Square Enix. Yes they support them almost 100% on the consoles but what about the DS? DS got Dragon Quest IX which is a big loss for the PS3.

I've been saying this since the start, what ever console has Square will win. They have tons of high selling games that were on the PS2 and if they stay on the PS3 (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and many others) then the PS3 will sell the most consoles. Sony has a good start with Square with a new Star Ocean, 2 new Final Fantasy's, and some completely new IP's. The only problem Sony can face is losing any of there titles to the Wii.

I know Square wont make any titles for the 360 (unless there multiplatform with the PS3) So all Sony has to worry about is Nintendo other then that there set.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers, what kind of gaps do you think the PS3 would have to overcome for your predictions to come true?

If you do some calculations, I bet you'll be less convinced than you seem now.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

roadkillers said:

Im not sure about the DS though. If FFXIII is as big as I think its gunna be PS3 might end up killing all of the competition. The only problem Sony has is Square Enix. Yes they support them almost 100% on the consoles but what about the DS? DS got Dragon Quest IX which is a big loss for the PS3.

I've been saying this since the start, what ever console has Square will win. They have tons of high selling games that were on the PS2 and if they stay on the PS3 (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and many others) then the PS3 will sell the most consoles. Sony has a good start with Square with a new Star Ocean, 2 new Final Fantasy's, and some completely new IP's. The only problem Sony can face is losing any of there titles to the Wii.

I know Square wont make any titles for the 360 (unless there multiplatform with the PS3) So all Sony has to worry about is Nintendo other then that there set.

Just wanted to quote this for posterity.

roadkillers said:

GTA IV is being released in 2008, right? So you expect the PS3 to sell roughly 20 million units in less than a eight months?

There are many, many problems with your analysis (you've badly confused cause and effect, for one), but that jumped out at me. Plus, you seem to be under the impression that the Wii has sold more than the PSP. It hasn't.