By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The official Endless Ocean: Blue world thread of pure Joy and Awesomeness

Gamerace said:
Chrizum said:
Yay, I have the game! It looks beautiful, much better than the first (which already looked good). Controls are unchanged. except you can use a CC, but I think the Wiimote is better suited for this game.

It has much more story this time around though. The beginning is extremely slow. Also, I haven't found a way to choose the exact spot where I want to dive, which annoys me a bit (but just a bit), but you can travel around the Earth diving in all the oceans, seas and many rivers.

You cannot cuddle fishes anymore. No big loss there.

All in all, the game is improved graphically, has a heavier focus on story, is much more expansive and feature-packed. And it's still only €30, so if you're interested in this type of game, pick it up!

Wha?  No fish molestation?  That's 90% of the gameplay in the first, wagging my wiimote joyfully while trying to entice fish to reveal themselves to me.  Yeah, know what?  I won't miss that either.

Do you still get the info in pieces (so you need to check out each fish 3 or more times) or does it give you all the info at once now?

As far as I can see it, there are now 2 info pieces instead of 3. You get the first info piece by clicking on the fish and the second one when you make a fish happy (generally by stuffing it with food). Feeding fishes is more fun now than before though, because you can hold the food in your hand for as long as you want, and you'll attract all the fishes, and you can release the food at anytime.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Gamerace said:
Chrizum said:
Yay, I have the game! It looks beautiful, much better than the first (which already looked good). Controls are unchanged. except you can use a CC, but I think the Wiimote is better suited for this game.

It has much more story this time around though. The beginning is extremely slow. Also, I haven't found a way to choose the exact spot where I want to dive, which annoys me a bit (but just a bit), but you can travel around the Earth diving in all the oceans, seas and many rivers.

All in all, the game is improved graphically, has a heavier focus on story, is much more expansive and feature-packed. And it's still only €30, so if you're interested in this type of game, pick it up!

Wha?  No fish molestation?  That's 90% of the gameplay in the first, wagging my wiimote joyfully while trying to entice fish to reveal themselves to me.  Yeah, know what?  I won't miss that either.

Do you still get the info in pieces (so you need to check out each fish 3 or more times) or does it give you all the info at once now?

As far as I can see it, there are now 2 info pieces instead of 3. You get the first info piece by clicking on the fish and the second one when you make a fish happy (generally by stuffing it with food). Feeding fishes is more fun now than before though, because you can hold the food in your hand for as long as you want, and you'll attract all the fishes, and you can release the food at anytime.

Saw that in a video.  It was pretty awesome to see a whole school of Big-eye Trevally swarm the food.  

Chrizum said:

Actually, you can.

It isn't anywhere near as big a part of the gameplay as last time, it isn't mentioned in the manual, and the in-game instructions on how to do it are wrong.

I've just posted how to do it on GameFAQs here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=954373&topic=53374018, and here's what I said:

The in-game instructions (EU English version) say that to poke a fish you shake the Wii Remote while focussed on the fish. But that doesn't seem to work.

What you have to do is this:

- focus on the fish
- select 'Food' from the tools menu (this brings up your hand on the screen)
- NOW shake the Wii Remote

This works. It seems you can't choose between petting and poking, you'll do whatever is appropriate for the creature (finger for small fish, hand for dolphins).

Disclaimer: No liability will be accepted if you do this to sharks.

Chrizum said:

I agree

Yes they are
... a little bit anyway, the major thing (that I have now at least got used to) is that the auto-swim is now the + button instead of - button.... Also the close-up "glows" are now accesses by pointing and pressing A like you do with normal fish (rather than pressing +) which does mean that you can't zoom in on any random spot like before (but that was pointless anyway as you are zooming in on a screen with no species, so no worries there) Also the - button seems to be the main cancelling button now, if you have clicked on a fish you can still cancel using the b-button like before, but if you are feeding or taking a photo, or reading the fish info you have to use - button to cancel out of it.

Yeah me neither. Though I haven't left the first area yet (I unlocked the second but decided to explore the first)

You can stroke or tickle them
, took me a bit to figure it out though.... when focussing on a fish if you click the feed option and simply shake (don't press a button) then it might rub or tickle, I haven't figured out if it specific to the fish yet but the first time I did it the hand waved in the rubbing motion like before, then with a humphead wrasse I did it but it did a tickling motion (similar to the old poking one).

I'm going to upload some of my photos and make a thread for others to add theirs

Check it:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=100279

Around the Network

And yes, I like the info system better this time.... you get the first section as soon as you click on a new fish, then the second section after feeding it (and I guess some might want petting or using the whistle like last time too)

Oh, and although (so far) you only seem to be able to dive in designated spots (rather than picking exactly where you move the boat to) if you want to get to somewhere fast you can ride the dolphin, which seems to be about double the speed of normal swimming.

Oh, and @ cheebee... there is a kind of achievment system, which gives you a title (like at the start you are a novice diver) I thought as you mentioned you also like Douglas Adams, one of the titles is Hitch Hiker, so that's what I am now (it's not a levelling thing so you can keep or change the title to any that you have unlocked)
(I haven't been online yet, but I would guess the title is shown to your diving buddy)

TWRoO said:

And yes, I like the info system better this time.... you get the first section as soon as you click on a new fish, then the second section after feeding it (and I guess some might want petting or using the whistle like last time too)

Oh, and although (so far) you only seem to be able to dive in designated spots (rather than picking exactly where you move the boat to) if you want to get to somewhere fast you can ride the dolphin, which seems to be about double the speed of normal swimming.

Oh, and @ cheebee... there is a kind of achievment system, which gives you a title (like at the start you are a novice diver) I thought as you mentioned you also like Douglas Adams, one of the titles is Hitch Hiker, so that's what I am now (it's not a levelling thing so you can keep or change the title to any that you have unlocked)
(I haven't been online yet, but I would guess the title is shown to your diving buddy)

Ah really? That's cool, I didn't know it had that.

You probably get the Hitch Hiker title by riding the dolphin then? Would make sense, anyway. Now I feel like reading THHGTTG again. I've read those books like 4 times already but they're just too damn hilarious to resist.

... I'm going to bed now, it's too late and I'd better catch some sleep so tomorrow will come faster. Endless oceans await me.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

So, I finally got the game today, after an entire extra day of waiting.
Man it's great, I love it to bits. It's definitely a huge improvement over the already stellar EO1.

There's so much to do it's almost overwhelming, with all the photo requests, the main storyline to follow, curing sick fish, finding treasure, upgrading your equipment, sidequests, land-based areas to explore, character to customize. It's clear that Arika put an insane amount of effort into the game.

Also, I love the music, and the graphics are really really good. But of course we already knew that.
I like the fact that your character gains experience over time, so that you'll be able to dive longer and deeper the more experience you get. As well as all the upgradeable stuff, from the pulsar to oxygen tanks and that salvage bag. I truly like it, gives you a lot of incentive to keep exploring and trying to get as much as you can.

Does anyone know if the 2nd bit of info, or trivia as it's called in-game, is available for all creatures? 'Cos I managed to unlock it for quite a few fish, most of them with a little feeding or petting, but the majority of them doesn't seem to have it. Or maybe I need to do more.

It says in the instruction manual thta not all species have the unlockable trivia (the ones you can have a watermark of the trivia tab)

Also, I was getting a little dissapointed in the music for a while, I hadn't really been following the story quickly, my main focus has been finding fish and completing the maps (just unlocked the aquarium) And I was starting to notice that the only proper song was the title music.

However on entering the underwater castle that changed, that's an astonishingly beautiful song.

Oh there's actually a watermark of the trivia tab? O_O Must've missed those, haha. Well that certainly changes things! Thanks for letting me know, now I won't have to waste any more time trying to get those pieces of info.

And yes I felt the same way about the music. But then I came across some new areas and they featured proper music by Celtic Woman. The music makes quite a difference.

And then I started finding all these treasures, but none of them would fit in my bag. Darn. Then I found some more, and those wouldn't fit either, all of them were too big. Then, later, in different areas, I kept finding bigass treasures, but I can't frickin' take them with me! I need a bigger bag.