By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Local PS3 stock levels - eating up 360 shelf space

yo_john117 said:

The only problem I have with this is that thw Wii is still outselling the PS3 2-1 so how are they expecting it to outsell the Wii when it hasn't even come close to doing that yet?

That store in particular may sell more ps3s than anything else.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Xbbjf9s said:
yo_john117 said:

The only problem I have with this is that thw Wii is still outselling the PS3 2-1 so how are they expecting it to outsell the Wii when it hasn't even come close to doing that yet?

That store in particular may sell more ps3s than anything else.

true... but one store in mikeb's home town won't make a bit of difference globally will it?

Mikeb likes to quote his anecdotal evidence of his local mediamarkt store all the time... it really doenst mean anything at all.

True

meh lets just see numbers lol

@ kowenicki

You took pics of boxes on shelves? ok.

Not yet, only if there's interest and there seems to be. I think the XBox 360 section will turn into a funny pic to share.

Your post is confusing me though....if the boxes are smaller then why would they take up more shelf space?

It's rather simple actually. Last year according to VGChartz there were 1 million more PS3s on the shelves than XBox 360s. Based on what retailers told me, it was more like the other way around. They did not order too many in one go because they would need to dedicate too much shelf space to these units. So instead of ordering a few huge batches they ordered many small batches.

This year it's apparently different. Think about it, it's simple.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ kowenicki

I consider the Wii to be technically between a current gen console and the PS2. IMO an important thing the Wii demonstrates is that there is potentially a very big after-market for the PS3 technology (for example maybe bundled with the new motion control sticks in the future).

The Wii hype is slowly dying, I think this will accelerate further in 2010 with higher HDTV penetration, mass markets for Blu-Ray, even more impressive and more high profile franchise PS3 games, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I went to Walmart Sunday morning to do a little christmas shopping, and my wife wanted to drop memory card to have some pictures printed, even though I have a very nice HP photo printer, but im out of ink right now, so anyways they had lots of PS3 and 5 of the 46inch lcd bravia tv, 1080p 120htz, Great tv, alone about 1800-2000 dollors , also with a 120 gig slim all for 950 bucks, fricking amazing deal, if i did not already have all of that , would of bought in a heartbeat , well went back about 6:30 pm to pick up pictures and all was gone, all PS3s and all 5 tv ps3 combos, WOW I think there thinking this holiday may be correct. PS3 are going to fly off the shelfs this holiday.

kowenicki said:
@mikeb

Yes hype for the Wii is slowly falling (not dying) and by the end of 2010 so will the hype for all 3 consoles.... none of the current consoles will sell more in the main markets in 2011 than they do in either 2008/09/10 imo. I cant see the ps3 beating its own sales for 2009 in 2010 and then beating 2010 in 2011

We are at 122m now, last gen we got to 155m before the ps3/wii launches and the ps2 was in decline before that.

I've always been too lazy to find that 155M number myself. Thanks for that it's a good reference point. I think Wii has expanded that potential by at least 30 million. It's possible the global console potential is close to 200 million now. But either way we are past the halfway point, so the fight is now on for an ever diminishing new entrant market (less than 80 million, which is still a sizeable market at this point in time). 

Won't be long before the "maybe it's time to buy a second/third console" market is as large or larger than the new entrant market. In that market space the 3rd placed console (especially a resurgent one) is in a pretty good position.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

MikeB, which Media Markt is that?

iLLmaticV3 said:
I would love to see pictures, sounds interesting. Looks like PlayStation is going to have a great holiday season.

i can make one if i have to go to the city next time. (in 1-2 days probably.)

its the same situation here, about 150 PS3's (the half of them bundled with Uncharted1 and GT5:P), and about 70-80 Wii's and 360's.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

After the launch of their big games early next year, Sony should push Gem (wand) like it's a new console. Have displays in Best Buy, and people will play it like it's Guitar Hero (We've all seen those people!).

Then next holiday season, they should Push 3D HARD!! Again, have displays and people will play it like its Rock Band.

These 2 new 'additions' don't have to revolutionize the PS3. But Sony should give them the "Halo" treatment, and market the hell out of them. If done right, Gem could push and extra 1 million console over time. And 3D could do the same during the holidays.

These CAN be system sellers, and if spaced apart, they could give Sony a year long media hype drive. 1st Quater = Games (GOW, FFXIII, etc...) 2nd Quater = Gem. 3rd Quater = GT5. 4 Quater = 3D.

That should be their outline for 2010.