By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age: Origins and how badly I hate it

The game is an utter disappointment. I have played my share of horrible games before but this one is the biggest let downs of this generation. Hell Lair was better than this game, I guess thats a biased statement for I loved Lair even giving its downsides. Anyways, first off this is the spirutal succesor to Baldur's gate?? Blasphemy I tell you! The reason I got this game was because I loved Baldur's gate. This game is nowhere close to how great Baldur's gate was. Sure I am referring to the Dark Alliance series who was developed by Snowblind Studios, but the fact remains...it is Bioware. How could they let this type of game suck so badly and even refer to it as the spiritual succesor? I do not remember Mass Effect having sucked this much ass.  Also KotR and Jade Empire were decent games in my eyes, but why not this...

Some complaints, in no particular order.

-No co-op! Would have been nice to have.

-No jump button

-Silent protagonist is so horrible, atleast give the option. That way you please everyone.

-Horrible graphics (I expected okay looking  graphics, but this...this is just ew)

-The click x once and let it auto attack, makes me feel I am not actually doing anything

-Voice acting out of synch

-The spells / abilities quick use menu thing is a bit small and sucks when you play mage and want to use more than 5 spells.

-Glitchimus maximus (Which I expected for the console version)

-Loading, why the hell must I zone into a single room buidling? I do believe games such as Oblivion could easily stream you into houses and not have you zone every five steps, of course there is some exaggeration there.

-Seems the abilities are missing in most classes. They feel empty

-Creating your character you have the bare minimum amount of choices. The hair especially bugged me

-What the eff is wrong with there hands? Is it to hard to program hand / finger movements?

-Seems incredibly linear. I had thought it would be more open. But thought wrong I suppose

-Why can I not attack whoever I please or steal from whomever? That is the one bright spot I liked about Oblivion and wished it in this game.

-No swimming, that blows

-The dungeon designs are drawn up by a retarded monkey it seems. By this I mean everything seemed so obvious, No 'what the hell I am lost /think/ oh yeah how could I have missed that' or 'hmmm this puzzle is hard /think/ sweet I finally got it'  It is more like 'walk in, point A to point B, collect loot, fight guys, to point c, talk, boss, leave'

There is probably more  but oh well.

Some positives

-Story is decent, yay~

-Besides the chance of it getting out of synch, the voice acting is good.

-I do like the tactical side to it.

-Mage crud was cool

-Some armor looked badass

-You can sex people up

My score for the game - 6/10 on the ps360

Honestly I do not recommend this game at all unless you get it cheap in the bargin bin (luckily I got mine when bestbuy had that 34.99 deal, although I wish I could take it back) Maybe the PC version is orgasmic but hey not all of us have gaming computers.

ps. I like to blame darth and his postings for this spontaneous purchase without his viral marketing I would have stayed away

Around the Network

Is you serious....no jump button?

You realize this is an RPG right?

Anyway, I played it on PC. 9.5/10

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Is you serious....no jump button?

You realize this is an RPG right?

Anyway, I played it on PC. 9.5/10

Yes I am plenty serious. This is a type of game where a jump button is welcomed and could add some game elements. I am not talking about turning it into a platformer but there have been games like this with jump buttons and it is lovely. Look at Oblivion, Baldurs Gate:Dark Alliance, Fallout 3, Everquest, and the list goes on.

put it on ebay for cheap,if its unsold ill pay u a million

I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I wonder how hard the gay sex scene is to get

Around the Network
apollon said:
put it on ebay for cheap,if its unsold ill pay u a million

Cheap can be a multitdue of things, cheap to me can be expensive to you. Are you sure you wish that?

zexen_lowe said:
I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I wonder how hard the gay sex scene is to get

The sex scenes are just kissing, snuggling, spooning, and rubbing the back and shoulders. Their facial expressions never change and their hands/fingers never fold or carass or do anything but stay stiff and horrid.

But it was awesome seeing a bushy beard dwarf nailing the magic chick.

awww unlucky!

its AMAZING imo, best game this year....love it to bits.

Hey why not wait & buy this one later on in 2010

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
awww unlucky!

its AMAZING imo, best game this year....love it to bits.

Hey why not wait & buy this one later on in 2010

Lol I was planning on getting FFXIII anyways, your marketing can not stop me from that!

It seems to me that you know nothing of the genre of games that Dragon Age Origins is inserted into ;) Have you ever played a WRPG from Bioware before?

Edit - After re-reading your post, I've seen that you've played both KOTOR and Jade Empire. Then I ask you this: Do you know that most of your complaints about Dragon Age were also a huge part of those games? Also, don't even compare the crappy Dark Alliance games to the autenthic Baldur's Gate experience ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"