By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age: Origins and how badly I hate it

@Markers

Yeah I know, somehow I confused the console version with the Handheld one, sorry about that xD.

Well, DA:O is more about pacing than anything else. I don't know how the game feels on the PS3/360 because I played it on PC, and since i'm a huge Baldur's Gate PC fan, this game was everything I hoped it would be + more ;)

It takes everything that Baldur's Gate, NeverWinter Nights, Jade Empire and KOTOR achieved and perfects it with so many more options and strategy.

I'm now on my second playthrough, almost half way through it, as a Mage and I can't get enough of the game, since I seem to always discover new ways to kill DarkSpawn xD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Though I did like it, most of the things you complained are true xD

If they could have  cut down on the occurances of some of the glitches and improved some of the textures and effects I am sure I would have enjoyed this game as many of you seemed to have. I did enjoy the story, very good infact. But it is hard to get the full experience with the annoyances I listed.

You are comparing the game WAY to much with Oblivion. The areas you didn't compare it with Oblivion are exclusive to the console version, and I'm sorry but the console versions are significantly worst. If you read your gripes again, you will notice that you can apply them to most of bioware's games. The ones I have especially trouble reading is those referring to graphics and the hands. How is that in anyway important? The only thing I agree with is the linearity(though it isn't noticeable a lot of the time) and the toned down customization in comparison to Baldur's Gate. Not being able to jump or having bad graphics or a silent protaganist are not priorities nor are they important. Which I wonder how would that work voice-acting wise when they try to immerse the character as you with your own identity? What is important are the Atmoshphere, Story, and most important the gameplay, all of these were hit head on for what they were aiming for, and instead of being dissapointed I was surprised. I was from the start expecting something much worst than the Baldur's Gate series anyway, but it is getting pretty close every playthrough I make.

lestatdark said:
@Markers

Yeah I know, somehow I confused the console version with the Handheld one, sorry about that xD.

Well, DA:O is more about pacing than anything else. I don't know how the game feels on the PS3/360 because I played it on PC, and since i'm a huge Baldur's Gate PC fan, this game was everything I hoped it would be + more ;)

It takes everything that Baldur's Gate, NeverWinter Nights, Jade Empire and KOTOR achieved and perfects it with so many more options and strategy.

I'm now on my second playthrough, almost half way through it, as a Mage and I can't get enough of the game, since I seem to always discover new ways to kill DarkSpawn xD

Yes I fear it is far more superior on the PC than the console versions and I am sure it looks beautiful on the PC as well. If I had the gaming computer I would not be complaining about it now. As I said the story is good, I like it. It is just hard to enjoy it fully when the voices get out of synch or the enviroment glitches behind the npc on a scene every other talking scene. I did put at the end of my OP that the PC version is more than likely far superior and suggest that over the consoles, atleast I meant to.

If you are a PC gamer or own a X360 try divinity II ego draconis. It has a jump button! I found out that many who were not really enjoying DA origins enjoyed ego draconis more. Maybe it is a game for you.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

You are comparing the game WAY to much with Oblivion. The areas you didn't compare it with Oblivion are exclusive to the console version, and I'm sorry but the console versions are significantly worst. If you read your gripes again, you will notice that you can apply them to most of bioware's games. The ones I have especially trouble reading is those referring to graphics and the hands. How is that in anyway important? The only thing I agree with is the linearity(though it isn't noticeable a lot of the time) and the toned down customization in comparison to Baldur's Gate. Not being able to jump or having bad graphics or a silent protaganist are not priorities nor are they important. Which I wonder how would that work voice-acting wise when they try to immerse the character as you with your own identity? What is important are the Atmoshphere, Story, and most important the gameplay, all of these were hit head on for what they were aiming for, and instead of being dissapointed I was surprised. I was from the start expecting something much worst than the Baldur's Gate series anyway, but it is getting pretty close every playthrough I make.

I compared it to one thing from Oblivion and that is what I expected from Bioware when I bought DA:O and that was a less linear world, more open, the ability to fight random npcs and steal. That is all I wanted to compare to Oblivion, anything past that false assumptions in which you should try to avoid since you know what they say about those who assume.

Yes I notice I can apply most of my gripes to any Bioware game, but I expected more from them in this title. They have plently of experience but honestly this title makes it look as if that experience does not pay off. Atleast of the console versions.

Having less than mediocre graphics, no jump, and a silent protaganist are priorities. However small in the overall scheme of things, they can and do make a gamer enjoy the game more than not having said things. As for the voice acting part you can easily incorporate 1-however many voice actors reading all the lines and scripts of your options, as they do with the npcs, and you get to chose the one you like. Not horribly hard. May take some money and time but hey you can be working on other stuff during that time period. They got the atmosphere, despite the horrid graphics and the glitching of the people and enviroment, and the story dead on! Do not get me wrong I enjoyed the settings and the story...but the gameplay, wow...far different than I expected. I like the tactical side to it, was great. Was not a easy game, I loved that! Do I wish I could have been able to hit a button for every swing I took? Yes I would loved to! Would I have liked to been able to swim in lakes and possibly find treasure or some type of enemy? Yes that would add exciting new elements and gameplay to further my enjoyment! Would I have liked to been able to jump around randomly and maybe dodge traps or enemies or maybe even find something thought unreachable? Yes that would have been a welcoming addition!

It could have been far better in the hands of someone who wants to make something great.

Lostplanet22 said:
If you are a PC gamer or own a X360 try divinity II ego draconis. It has a jump button! I found out that many who were not really enjoying DA origins enjoyed ego draconis more. Maybe it is a game for you.

The jump button is not my biggest concern lol But thank you I shall look for it and maybe write a comparison sometime. Is it new or bargin bin?

markers said:
adriane23 said:
zexen_lowe said:
I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I wonder how hard the gay sex scene is to get

I hate just about all WRPGs too (I took back Oblivion after one day of playing it), but I LOVE this game for some reason I'm about 52 hours in and my brother who ONLY plays JRPGs played 101 hours his first play through ans is now on his second.

The poster of this thread has a lot of arguments that I would agree with, but I can't see how this is a bad game. Not being able to jump isn't a problem at all since it looked ridiculous in Oblivion.

As for the gay sex scenes, it isn't that hard since my brother almost got it by accident and had to immediately tell his party member he didn't swing that way.

The ability not to jump is just one of many qualms of this game that is unappealing. And it appears none of you have played Baldurs Gate, more specially the Dark Alliance series, or you would understand why I listed not being able to jump as downside.

I owned Dark Alliance 1 & 2 AND Champions of Norrath which wasn't as good IMO and I thought all three were fun simply because me and my brother were able to play at the same time.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
markers said:
adriane23 said:
zexen_lowe said:
I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I hate just about all WRPGs too (I took back Oblivion after one day of playing it), but I LOVE this game for some reason I'm about 52 hours in and my brother who ONLY plays JRPGs played 101 hours his first play through ans is now on his second.

The poster of this thread has a lot of arguments that I would agree with, but I can't see how this is a bad game. Not being able to jump isn't a problem at all since it looked ridiculous in Oblivion.

As for the gay sex scenes, it isn't that hard since my brother almost got it by accident and had to immediately tell his party member he didn't swing that way.

The ability not to jump is just one of many qualms of this game that is unappealing. And it appears none of you have played Baldurs Gate, more specially the Dark Alliance series, or you would understand why I listed not being able to jump as downside.

I owned Dark Alliance 1 & 2 AND Champions of Norrath which wasn't as good IMO and I thought all three were fun simply because me and my brother were able to play at the same time.

You my friend have just hit me with the biggest thing I forgot, I forever thank you~

Where the Hell is the Co-Op play? That would have definetly earned some sales! All you have to do is make player 1 the main guy who creates / talks to all the bitches but player 2(3/4) can just be the other party members or even have them create their characters as well either way. Would bring more fun in the living room.

markers said:
adriane23 said:
markers said:
adriane23 said:
zexen_lowe said:

You my friend have just hit me with the biggest thing I forgot, I forever thank you~

Where the Hell is the Co-Op play? That would have definetly earned some sales! All you have to do is make player 1 the main guy who creates / talks to all the bitches but player 2(3/4) can just be the other party members or even have them create their characters as well either way. Would bring more fun in the living room.

That's the first thing I thought of when I turned it on! Or at least be able to play online with different created characters like Demon Souls or White Knight Chronicles. SOMETHING!

I am the Playstation Avenger.