By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age: Origins and how badly I hate it

so you don't like the game because it doesn't play exactly like Oblivion?

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I wonder how hard the gay sex scene is to get

I hate just about all WRPGs too (I took back Oblivion after one day of playing it), but I LOVE this game for some reason I'm about 52 hours in and my brother who ONLY plays JRPGs played 101 hours his first play through ans is now on his second.

The poster of this thread has a lot of arguments that I would agree with, but I can't see how this is a bad game. Not being able to jump isn't a problem at all since it looked ridiculous in Oblivion.

As for the gay sex scenes, it isn't that hard since my brother almost got it by accident and had to immediately tell his party member he didn't swing that way.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Though I did like it, most of the things you complained are true xD

lestatdark said:
It seems to me that you know nothing of the genre of games that Dragon Age Origins is inserted into ;) Have you ever played a WRPG from Bioware before?

Why yes, yes I have. I listed a few in the OP that I enjoyed. Like I have somewhat stated, feels like they could have did so much but instead did so little with this so called 'spirutal succesor to baldur's gate' It is more like a Descendant for its lack of awesomeness

gergroy said:
so you don't like the game because it doesn't play exactly like Oblivion?

No no, not at all. I hated Oblivion with a passion. As I stated the only bright spot of Oblivion was its open world do whatever you want/please feel to the game. Other than that it sucked. I was hoping Dragon Age would have that feel but less open. Instead I get the feel of an incredibly linear game.

Around the Network

@markers

Yeah, I edited my post, but it still stands that your complaints are also a huge part of KOTOR and Jade Empire

Plus Dragon Age Origins is the spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate, but the PC version, the true one, not the crappy action-RPG Dark Alliance version. ;)

May it be that for you lacks an awesome factor, yet some of your reasons are simply misplaced.

Lack of jump button? I mean, seriously? Even I know that Dark Alliance didn't have a jump button, you were just grasping for something there :P

It seems that you're an Oblivion fan, but you should not think that all WRPG's set in a medieval fantasy setting play as that same game.

Me, I rather play DA:O over Oblivion ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

adriane23 said:
zexen_lowe said:
I'm getting it shortly without minding my hate of WRPGs, everyone seems to be liking it. I know I'll never finish it, but at least I hope it'll be better than Mass Effect, I'll be satisfied with that.

I wonder how hard the gay sex scene is to get

I hate just about all WRPGs too (I took back Oblivion after one day of playing it), but I LOVE this game for some reason I'm about 52 hours in and my brother who ONLY plays JRPGs played 101 hours his first play through ans is now on his second.

The poster of this thread has a lot of arguments that I would agree with, but I can't see how this is a bad game. Not being able to jump isn't a problem at all since it looked ridiculous in Oblivion.

As for the gay sex scenes, it isn't that hard since my brother almost got it by accident and had to immediately tell his party member he didn't swing that way.

The ability not to jump is just one of many qualms of this game that is unappealing. And it appears none of you have played Baldurs Gate, more specially the Dark Alliance series, or you would understand why I listed not being able to jump as downside.

Actually I just want to correct that the console version of Dark Alliance did have a jump ability, I confused it with the Handheld one ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
@markers

Yeah, I edited my post, but it still stands that your complaints are also a huge part of KOTOR and Jade Empire

Plus Dragon Age Origins is the spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate, but the PC version, the true one, not the crappy action-RPG Dark Alliance version. ;)

May it be that for you lacks an awesome factor, yet some of your reasons are simply misplaced.

Lack of jump button? I mean, seriously? Even I know that Dark Alliance didn't have a jump button, you were just grasping for something there :P

It seems that you're an Oblivion fan, but you should not think that all WRPG's set in a medieval fantasy setting play as that same game.

Me, I rather play DA:O over Oblivion ;)

Whoa you get me all wrong, I prefer this over Oblivion any day! Oblivion is a suck fest. If you would read some of my replies I have stated I only liked the open world feel to it, but far to open for my tastes. And why yes indeed the Dark Alliance had the jump button. Was a very welcoming addition to any and all wrpg's

The fact of the matter this game feels unfinished. That it could have used another couple months in the oven. While KotR and Jade Empire felt right.

lestatdark said:

It seems to me that you know nothing of the genre of games that Dragon Age Origins is inserted into ;) Have you ever played a WRPG from Bioware before?

Edit - After re-reading your post, I've seen that you've played both KOTOR and Jade Empire. Then I ask you this: Do you know that most of your complaints about Dragon Age were also a huge part of those games? Also, don't even compare the crappy Dark Alliance games to the autenthic Baldur's Gate experience ;)

Yes but they did not feel as horrible as they did in this game. Those are last generation games, I felt they should have been able to improve as a team and make less of those complaints from happening and not the whole damn game. And although the Dark Alliance series story was not as intriquing as the original Baldur's Gate the gameplay was far superior to other games such as DA:O, of course this is for any and all console versions not PC.