By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - cartoon nowdays cant touch classic like dbz

It doesn't make sense to take your favorite show from the 80s (DBZ), ignore all the other horrible cartoon shows from the 80s, and then compare it to your least favorite modern show (Fantastic Four, etc).

I think Avatar: The Last Airbender or the older Justice League Unlimited are vastly superior to DBZ. It seems to me that the production qualities (i.e. artwork, voices) have vastly improved in these series compared to 20+ years ago.

Around the Network

Dragon Ballz always reminded me of Pokemon. Really really thin storylines, clunky characters, and terrible dialog. Always really bored me. DBZ couldn't make a pimple on the old warner bros. cartoons asses.

I agree, in my case, that cartoons these days don't have the same appeal as they once did. The last cartoons that acually held my attention were The Simpsons and Family Guy, but that was three years ago. Concerning anime, DBZ and its previous iteration can be considered to be a classic simply because of what it has done to the genre and viewership of anime in general (its length should also be pointed out to show its popularity regardless of quality). I am differentiating between a cartoon and anime for caliing DBZ a "classic" in a cartoon regard is not something that should be done. 

Aside from being jaded towards cartoons, I am approaching the same level of jadedness- is that a word?-towards anime, which is why I have turned to gaming after 11 years, but every year there seems to be at least two animes that are released in America that just feel fresh and rewarding to watch. For me, this year there are two animes that match the level of quality of enjoyment of the classic cartoons: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and School Rumble (one of my favorite shows, period).

TMNT was my absolute favorite when I was kid, and the original power rangers too!!! Green Dragon Megazord FTW!!! Best one EVER!!!! That show is on like its 20th revision and is horrible now, I feel so sorry for the kids who missed out on the good ones. You know what I have been watching lately too? Anyone remember when FOX turned Goosebumps books into TV shows? Well, CN has been playing them lately, and I tivoed them all. I loved those when I was kid!! I do like DBZ, but I hate how many episodes it takes for anything to happen.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Cartoon Network is aiming for the ever growing market of "After School Kids".

Essentially, this is a market of kids that come home from school, and are so tired of learning, that they watch cartoons that are next to brain kill. These cartoons are not only pathetically juvenile, but poorly animated to boot.

What really used to make CN great was the old Toonami. It not only had DBZ, but it had that odd old cartoon where there were a bunch of people entering computer worlds, hrmmm, I can't remember that show in the slightest!

Then it just got better with Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakosho (I forgot the spellings of these shows). Now Toonami is a popular anime whore with Naruto and One Piece, and Cartoon Network is no better.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED WITH ADULT SWIM!!!

At least it's got the Boondocks.

Around the Network

Code lyoko..

dragonball z

Naruto

they should bring Toonami back, weekdays. DBZ was the best series of them all. DBGT sucked, DB sucked.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

DBZ is on CN still on Saturday nights at 7:30pm for me, I have DirecTV so I don't know if it makes a difference for cable users. I tivo them every saturday because I have AA meetings at 8:00, and miss the majority of the show.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

I think naruto is rly good (japanese voice overs definately!!!!)... but other than that, cartoons are starting to look like crap.

umm Elfen Lied >>>>>>>> DBZ always

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MontanaHatchet said:

What really used to make CN great was the old Toonami. It not only had DBZ, but it had that odd old cartoon where there were a bunch of people entering computer worlds, hrmmm, I can't remember that show in the slightest!

You're probably either thinking of .hack//sign or Reboot.