By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - iSuppli: Sony not loosing too much money with the PS3 these days

Last time I checked iSuppli was using retail prices for the components I could find also at shops, in the HDD case they were even exceeding it by a very high sum, so they not only include in the cost shipping and retailer margin, but their estimate is a worse case one, as packaging and shipping a PS3 costs a lot less than doing it separately for its components, the difference should cover assembling cost too and exceed it whenever Sony manages to get supplies at better than usual conditions. And the best thing for Sony is that they most probably buy in Dollars whatever component isn't produced in Japan and they then sell in Euros in their strongest market at a price exceeding the US one by a not insignificant amount.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Last time I checked iSuppli was using retail prices for the components I could find also at shops, in the HDD case they were even exceeding it by a very high sum, so they not only include in the cost shipping and retailer margin, but their estimate is a worse case one, as packaging and shipping a PS3 costs a lot less than doing it separately for its components, the difference should cover assembling cost too and exceed it whenever Sony manages to get supplies at better than usual conditions. And the best thing for Sony is that they most probably buy in Dollars whatever component isn't produced in Japan and they then sell in Euros in their strongest market at a price exceeding the US one by a not insignificant amount.

I highly doubt that they are using retail prices...that would make absolutely no sense.  The breakdown of the figures at their website (which I'm not sure why all of these linked articles didn't included) is spretty detailed on how they came up to the production cost.  What alot of people are overlooking is that this cost figure is only one compenent of looking at profit margins.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I highly doubt that they are using retail prices...that would make absolutely no sense.  The breakdown of the figures at their website (which I'm not sure why all of these linked articles didn't included) is spretty detailed on how they came up to the production cost.  What alot of people are overlooking is that this cost figure is only one compenent of looking at profit margins.

I highly doubt it too, but if they say that selling at $299 Sony loses ~$30 AND that PS3 cost is ~$330, that $330 must include all the costs related to bringing a unit to retailer's shelf, but not, I agree, costs that aren't manufacturing and shipping per unit ones, like initial investments, at least part of marketing, etc, huge costs that each manufacturers have to profit on sales (in consoles case also from 1st party games profit and 3rd party royalties) to repay. BTW you could calculate incidence of initial investments on a single unit sold only once production ceases, so the most sensible thing is to keep it separated and see if and when a break-even including them too is reached.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
heruamon said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I highly doubt it too, but if they say that selling at $299 Sony loses ~$30 AND that PS3 cost is ~$330, that $330 must include all the costs related to bringing a unit to retailer's shelf, but not, I agree, costs that aren't manufacturing and shipping per unit ones, like initial investments, at least part of marketing, etc, huge costs that each manufacturers have to profit on sales (in consoles case also from 1st party games profit and 3rd party royalties) to repay. BTW you could calculate incidence of initial investments on a single unit sold only once production ceases, so the most sensible thing is to keep it separated and see if and when a break-even including them too is reached.

Well...I thing getting your retail cost under your production cost is a signifigant milestone, which is the importance of the numbers.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder