By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - iSuppli: Sony not loosing too much money with the PS3 these days

If you factor in the price in others, Sony is not losing money at all

Around the Network
uso said:
If you factor in the price in others, Sony is not losing money at all

So Sony should post a HUGE profit this quarter.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

no, but normally you only talk of the price in US and forget thet the PS3 cost more in the rest of the countries and if it´s close of breaking even in the us alredy is in the rest of the world

losing around 30 bucks per console seems a lot to me

@ uso....

I'm confused...since it's selling more consoles in PAL and Japan than NA.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Around the Network

Some people say that this means Sony just needs to sell a game or two for profit. But, Sony still doesn't expect to be profitable this year in the gaming division.

So this might be true or not, but hardware is only part of the issue. SCE has 5,000 employees on the payroll, it's not enough that the hardware is profitable for actual profits in the division.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Some people say that this means Sony just needs to sell a game or two for profit. But, Sony still doesn't expect to be profitable this year in the gaming division.

So this might be true or not, but hardware is only part of the issue. SCE has 5,000 employees on the payroll, it's not enough that the hardware is profitable for actual profits in the division.

LOL...pver a month ago, Greenburg talked about Sony's ecosystem, and how they, as in M$, wasn't interested in it.  He talked alot about ecosystem again in his latest fanboy flame, but I've said it time and time before...the three companies make consoles to make money....period!  Without money, no company is going to keep down a path, since Shareholders would never have it.  Right now, it's going to be really interesting to see how they report the October-December qtr.

heruamon said:
NJ5 said:

LOL...pver a month ago, Greenburg talked about Sony's ecosystem, and how they, as in M$, wasn't interested in it.  He talked alot about ecosystem again in his latest fanboy flame, but I've said it time and time before...the three companies make consoles to make money....period!  Without money, no company is going to keep down a path, since Shareholders would never have it.  Right now, it's going to be really interesting to see how they report the October-December qtr.

In the October-December quarter it's always easier to make profit due to huge software sales. I mean if a company can't profit in this quarter in most years, they might as well pack their lunch and leave.

Holiday quarters only: In 2006, SCE had a 54.2 bln yen loss. In 2007, a 12 bln yen profit. In 2008, a 0.4 bln yen profit.

In 2009, I don't know... I'd say something between the 2007 and 2008 results, or not too far from those.

Sources:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/08q3/slide/image/11_image.jpg

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/07q3/slide/image/13_image.jpg

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/06q3/slide/image/13_image.jpg

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

uso said:
no, but normally you only talk of the price in US and forget thet the PS3 cost more in the rest of the countries and if it´s close of breaking even in the us alredy is in the rest of the world

There is a fair chunk of cash not covered in these estimates for shipping, etc, etc.  I'd say the only place they could feasibly be breaking even is Japan but the rest will follow in Q1 next year I'd imagine.  Still it should mean some good profits by Q2 next year with any luck!

let us take it like that:
They loose $36 dollars for every PS3 sold.
They make $12 dollars for every game sold (this is just my supposition, I mean if a game sells at $60, sony should make at least %20 percent of that money).
Meaning if a PS3 owner has exactly 3 games (and there are people who have way more), they are not loosing any money and for every new game that PS owner buy, they are making $12.