By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - iSuppli: Sony not loosing too much money with the PS3 these days

saicho said:
so on Jan 2008, Sony was breaking even with cost with MSRP price. However, the whole "gaming"division still lost money. How? PSP is making money, PS2 is making money. and PS3 is not losing money on hardware. It just doesn't sound right to me.

They are losing money because they probably need the manufacturing cost to be about $210 to break even on hardware at MSRP of $300.  Salaries, R&D, shipping, incentives, and marketing directly tied to hardware sales account for significant expense.

Around the Network

So 1 $60 First party title would cover the bill? If correct then nice.

4 ≈ One

One question though;..this is $$$....so they are making money in Europe and Japan?

Sony really can not afford price drop next year. With current price point they probably make first time healthy profit next holiday season (WW economy also hopefully will get better). They will cut the price again for 2011 holidays by 100$/€ imo.

ClaudeLv250 said:

Even so, that thread spawn such classics as these:

These still make me say ROFFLE!

these graphics are awesome. Thanks!

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

Ok ,,Sony is doomed ,but What about with ''wii'' and ''xbox 360'',they have hardware benefits..?

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

ClaudeLv250 said:
letsdance said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
iSuppli, iSuppli....

Aren't these the people that had Wii and 360 selling negative units? I know this name is familiar because I'm pretty sure it led to the posting of that one pic with the idiot in the party hat drawing a wacky graph.

They never posted anything about sales.

I just found it (love the new search feature): http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17412

Here's their little gem:

According to iSuppli, the Wii will reach 30.2 million installed units in 2008, up from 18 million in 2007, thereby placing it ahead of the 25.7 million users the firm projects for Xbox 360 in 2008, and the 20.3 million for the PlayStation 3.

However, iSuppli's projections show the PlayStation 3 ultimately having the largest worldwide install base in 2011, exceeding that of the other two next-gen consoles. According to the firm, the PS3 will see 38.4 million users in 2011, growing significantly from a total of 10.3 million in 2007.

Overall, iSuppli says the percentage of the installed base will distribute quite evenly by 2011. The firm says the PlayStation 3 in 2011 will account for 35.4 percent of the installed base (38.4 million), while the Wii will take 34.8 percent (37.7 million) and the Xbox 360 will be at 29.8 percent (32.3 million).

Now I remember why these people aren't credible. They constantly daydream of an alternate reality where Sony is much better off and then proceed to prophecize it without any real rhyme or reason. No one can tell them otherwise, not even reality, so when their predictions ultimately don't come true, they either alter them accordingly for the near future for find something else to spin in Sony's favor. They're like a subsidary of the SDF.

Even so, that thread spawn such classics as these:

These still make me say ROFFLE!

They are credible. They came out with what sony was losing before sony said anything. and you need to read what they are saying again. I dont see sales anywhere.

PS3 is $299

BOM is $336.27

Isn't the difference $37.27, rather than $31.27?

This chart doesnt make any sense. I find it hard to believe that a redesign intended to reduce the cost of making a PS3 would hardly reduce the cost of producing the PS3 while no redesign would greatly reduce the cost to manufacture a PS3. Makes no sense.