By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Midway blames Wii shortages for slow software roll-out

Midway, PLEASE, stay away from Wii. Thanks.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network
mancandy said:
Lame excuse. Why hasn't anyone else complained about this before? It should be universal and impact everyone.

$33M loss in one quarter? I see them closing shop soon.

That's my real problem here. This is the first time I've heard anyone say "Nintendo didn't give us enough discs." So either

1) Nintendo's only restricting Midway

2) Nintendo's restricting everyone, but everyone else has dealt with it/keeping quiet

3) Midway's lying and is playing the "Blame someone else!" game

My other problem is...which Midway game for the Wii sold out? Otherwise they got as many discs as they needed.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Chadius said:

My other problem is...which Midway game for the Wii sold out? Otherwise they got as many discs as they needed.

Doesn't this logic seem strange?

Because they have discs on the shelves for one game, they should have enough discs stored for all their games?

Would it be more logical to say that they do not have enough discs because they used too many on one game.

2 things that annoy me with this,

1. Midway has little disk supply so what the *$£% are they doing wasting time on games like cruisin, I've seen WiiWare titles that look better than that (I think they should employ a decent project manager).

2. Nintendo know they need to get third party support for the wii after the
GC fiasco so why give themselves this big hurdle, I've been wondering now for a while why didn't Zak and Wiki have a demo, it would really appeal from a 1 level demo oh but here we go, Third parties cannot produce theirown disks and there's no demo chanel.

No wonder devs put half hearted attempts over to Nintendo platforms, this really annoys me.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

I personally am not surprised in the least that Nintendo manufactures their own disks... I mean, these companies are paying them $7 per disk sold - If I were paying that, I would expect to get the DVD's to put it on as well. Unless, of course, they pay for the disks *on top of* the $7 (or whatever it is). But in that case, I would just make the licensing fee $8 (or whatever) and give 'em a free disk for it.

But I have no clue if this is what actually happens. Anyone in the industry know?

Also, I assume that most of the console makers might make their own disks - I feel fairly confident in saying that the PS's Black CDs were probably made by Sony. I don't know if the PS2/XBox/XBox360 disks would be sold by their respective owners, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn they were...

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

Hey I bought Rampage: Total Destruction a few days ago, Midway, so maybe that'll help your bottom line a skosh.

Granted it WAS discounted but hey a sale's a sale.

Crusi'n? Why. Why? Hahahahaha.

Something to remember guys. The last time Nintendo stood at the very top of marketshare in this industry on all ends was in the early 90s when the business had a population of about 60 million people more or less.  When they made cartridges and teams were smaller because games weren't as complex.

Nintendo spent the last 11 years in the backseat of the console marketshare race. What worked for them in the NES/SNES period was fine because they were #2  & #3 in marketshare race. Where they reigned was in the handheld sector whih STILL makes cartridges now simply cards. Which are smaller with still smaller teams because of less complexity in the games. For an example compare the team who made Super Smash Bros. on the N64 to the team who makes Super Smash Bros. Melee on the Gamecuube (then compare this to the team who makes Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii when it comes out).

This is the first time Nintendo stood on top in the console race since Sony turned the business into a 120 million plus population range. A business with more reach into more regions than in the SNES days. They have operated under more or less their SNES manufacturing standards for all of these years.

They are a really small company compared to the others which we tend to forget since they make so much money. This is actually what makes them remarkable. They have a staff of 3000 worldwide and can stand toe to toe with companies that have 163,000 worldwide (Sony) & 79,000 wordwide (Microsoft) and make profits that pound for pound make them mighty. This is why Nintendo's expanding a little lately as we see with Nintendo of America. They are remodeling themselves for the growth they are creating and right now is the transition period. They are shedding the production rules of the past 17 years and growing to a new standard while maintaining their no-waste no-wanton policy with finances.

I wouldn't doubt Midway on this just on sight. They might have a point. But then again if they're making games like Cruis'n for the Wii looking like that then I don't blame Nintendo for giving them the short straw. Make those discs count and put 'em where they're gonna make the most sales. Midway has been lost for years. Maybe they need to go back to distributing Pac-Man machines with Bally like in the old days. Had no idea Namco made the game until many years later! Bally/Midway. Williams. Hahahahahaha.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

I think john lucas is a little optimistic..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

zackblue said:
I think john lucas is a little optimistic..

Everybody does. It's my call to fame.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

...and that's a spin

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

If there is a disk shortage (and I am not sure how much of one there is), those at the bottom end of the food chain are most likey to suffer. That means unproven games or developers who are making quick ports for cash or wo just don't have a clue are probably going to suffer.

(It is interesting that no one else has said a word about it.)

This could also explain why Carnival Games (by 2K) was "sold out" for a while. How many people expected this title to push 200,000 is NTSC NA?

Meanwhile, Midway is moving to a point of irrelavnace. It is prodcuing games with about the same quality as Popcorn Arcade (the company that brought you Ninjabread Man and Anabus). (I was smart and picked up Rampage for the GC because I could play it in my Wii and was about half the price used -- I don't need tacked on controls because they are out there).

And truly, to sound John Lucas-ian, how many people a year ago would have bet that Nintendo would have sold more current-release consoles LTD than Microsoft and have taken over the software leadership from Sony? I wish I had bought their stock. I could afford more of the 80-100 releases due out between now and the end of the year.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Of course, a disk shortage could be why SSBB was delayed -- because they could not produce the game 8*>.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV