By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't understand how Shattered Memories can get low scores.

Wow, you won't believe this. Guess what score Destructoid gave this game.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

Score: 9.5 -- Superb

http://www.destructoid.com/review-silent-hill-shattered-memories-wii--157608.phtml#ext

"While Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a total departure in every way from what Konami proper had started, it manages to reinvigorate the series. This "re-imagining" could have been a story rehash, instead we get a brilliantly deep game with subtle subtext and surprising symbolism. It's deep enough that some may glaze over the reasons behind the game play decisions and story elements, which were, again, brilliant. It focuses on the horrors of the human mind and gets away from the tired ghost story, making for a story much more involving and disturbing than recent Silent Hill titles. A lovingly crafted story draws you in and then wows you with a surprise ending that leaves a lingering fascination. And chills. I'm still thinking about it. From one die-hard Silent Hill fan to another, this is a true Silent Hill game. A better Silent Hill game. Do not miss this game."

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

These disparaging reviews have got to give. Someone is seriously wrong here.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
These disparaging reviews have got to give. Someone is seriously wrong here.

Well, this game doesn't beat you over the head with flash and obviousness, there's a lot of subtlety to it, so a guy pounding through isn't really going to enjoy it.  I dunno if you have a Something Awful account, but the thread on that forum is bringing up all kinds of phychological insight which just made the game that much more awesome to me. I mean this game has layers and layers and layers of depth, and it's going to create some very interesting discussions in the weeks/months to come (especially when the Europeans get it).  Hell even just the monsters bring up all kinds of awesome discussion.

There's a ton more variation in this game than people think, and it's way more than just cosmetic.

So if you take 1 guy who just wants to get his review done and runs to where the nightmare scenes are just to run through them on the way to the next one, he's not going to take much from the game, and since the nightmare parts are the only "game" to them, of course they're going to hate it. They'll play once, get one ending, and declare it "sucks"

If you take someone who will actually run through it a couple times or a few times for a review, really stop and notice things, take in the atmosphere,and be willing to make analyze and make their own interpretations, they'll get a hell of a lot more out of the game. The problem is video gamers as a general rule are stuck in 80s cheesy action flick mode, and this is something more like Momento or Silence of the Lambs in that it messes with your head more than it throws scary demon dogs and zombies and blood and rust and Pyramid Head and mutant fish at you.

I thought this blurb summed it up nice

"I've enjoyed this so far, and am looking forward to playing through a few more times. Silent Hill is a series that had developed into a stale parody of itself ("hurf durf cults" all game, every game), and even though Climax might not have gotten everything right on its first try, I think what's important is that they took steps towards innovating. Hopefully the next one will have more outright horror elements, but if they decide to keep the psychological route up I certainly won't complain either; the plot is rather unsettling with the benefit of hindsight. It's by no means the scariest Silent Hill, but I think it's the smartest by a longshot."

tldr version: this game is a little too highbrow and a too little action and convention for a lot of people

The game takes a 9/10 from me
i played it a lot the last 2 days and it's awesome.

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
Wow, you won't believe this. Guess what score Destructoid gave this game.

Amazingly well written review, if I had no interest in that game I would buy it for that review alone.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I got to the Hospital and died. :( It gets quite confusing in the more developed levels though not too hard. I'm still going to wait a little while before playing it again, but I am intrigued by the story so I don't know how that will work out.... :D

The mixed review were making me walk away from the game but I have decided to get it for Christmas. Three of the sites I trust the most are IGN, Game Trailers, and 1UP. The former two gave it great scores. 1UP weren't overly positive about it but they weren't being overly negative either. I though I should get in to the Silent Hill series. I used to think the series was nothing more than a cheap RE rip off but after doing research on the series, I found out it was something completely different. I might even check out the first three games if possible since they are considered great games.

It's not really Silent Hill but, it's a pretty damn good survival horror game since I've never gone without a weapon in those type of games and the inability to fight back is the key part of the scares of this game and it was great. Every time the world turned to ice, I was like "oh shit!"

dahuman said:
It's not really Silent Hill but, it's a pretty damn good survival horror game since I've never gone without a weapon in those type of games and the inability to fight back is the key part of the scares of this game and it was great. Every time the world turned to ice, I was like "oh shit!"

It's Silent Hill.  Just not the way you remembered.