By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do I convince a non-believer to change to firefox???

I'm using AGV and IE7... I had Firefox but I had to delete it due to lack of space on hard drive. XD Old computer, small hard drive...

Around the Network

answer,

Buy a USB thumb drive. Run Firefox off of said thumb drive

http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/

then you can do whatever you want on his computer and he can still use a perfectly fine setup that really has no disadvantages to the average user.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

his right.
you can't change the mind of someone who uses logic in his thinking.
I would advice AVG over norton though

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

lolita, you might think about buying a new, cheap harddrive and moving all the large data files over to it...or just do a direct copy (ghost)
Whats your PC's Config?

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Astrodust said:

Is Firefox or Opera really better? Maybe I'll give it a try. I don't know the advantages really but I guess I should do some research. I've just been using internet exporer all this time.

Out of the major browsers, here are some heiarchies:

Security: FF>Opera>Safari>IE7>>>>>>>>>>>IE6 (FF, Safari, and Opera are all good)

Customizability: FF>>>>>>>IE7=IE6>Safari=Opera

Correct code display: FF>Safari>>Opera>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IE7>>>>>>>>>IE6 (as a joke, ask a web designer some time what he/she thinks of IE)

If you want a good out-of-the-box browser, Opera is probably the best. If you want something secure that you can tweak to your liking, FF is it. If you're a Mac user and just want the standard (which is pretty good), use Safari. I don't know much about Safari for Windows. If you just want the plain ol' standard browser, IE7 is alright.

But never, for any reason, EVER run IE6. It's terrible.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Do like I did to my grandfather. I installed firefox and completely removed all instances of Internet Explorer for about 2 weeks while I was back home. Came back down and he was already used to it and could care less about IE.

rocketpig said:
Astrodust said:

Is Firefox or Opera really better? Maybe I'll give it a try. I don't know the advantages really but I guess I should do some research. I've just been using internet exporer all this time.

Out of the major browsers, here are some heiarchies:

Security: FF>Opera>Safari>IE7>>>>>>>>>>>IE6 (FF, Safari, and Opera are all good)

Customizability: FF>>>>>>>IE7=IE6>Safari=Opera

Correct code display: FF>Safari>>Opera>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IE7>>>>>>>>>IE6 (as a joke, ask a web designer some time what he/she thinks of IE)

If you want a good out-of-the-box browser, Opera is probably the best. If you want something secure that you can tweak to your liking, FF is it. If you're a Mac user and just want the standard (which is pretty good), use Safari. I don't know much about Safari for Windows. If you just want the plain ol' standard browser, IE7 is alright.

But never, for any reason, EVER run IE6. It's terrible.

Good information.

You're missing Most Correct View though.  It would be:  FF >> IE7 > Safari=Opera >>>>>>>> IE6. 

Most mediocre websites are coded specifically for FF/IE7.  Most good websites validate xhtml transitional at least making them capatible across the board.

Safari is decent on Windows, but if you're on Windows, you shouldn't be using Safari... there are better alternatives.

thanny said:

ok, so i have firefox like most knowledgable internet users, and im trying to convince my dad to change to it, from IE7, but he is reluctant, to say the least

I have shown him the better search bar (he says its not worth it)

the music manager thing (he barely listens to music)

and i have tried telling him its safer against viruses (he says we dont need that because we already have norton)

he keeps saying its not worth changing because he knos his way around IE, and the advantages ive shown arent worth learning a whole new interface.

so what are some other advantages? what else can i say to convince him to change? because as it is i cant use the net on his page and his reluctancy is kinda annoying me.

You ever hear the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink?"  That's pretty much it.  If he doesn't want to use Firefox, you can't force him.  My parents use IE and Outlook too, and they also have Norton Internet Security and a popup blocker installed, and they wonder why their computer runs slower than molasses uphill and still gets infected when they click on ads.

One thing I will say is there's nothing forcing you to use IE on his computer.  Install Firefox, and leave IE as the default browser.  When you want to surf the web, use Firefox.  The great thing about a browser that isn't integrated into the operating system is that it doesn't affect anything else when you install it.  When I'm visiting with my parents and want to use the internet, I just run Firefox.  No big deal.

Words Of Wisdom said:

Good information.

You're missing Most Correct View though.  It would be:  FF >> IE7 > Safari=Opera >>>>>>>> IE6. 

Most mediocre websites are coded specifically for FF/IE7.  Most good websites validate xhtml transitional at least making them capatible across the board.

Safari is decent on Windows, but if you're on Windows, you shouldn't be using Safari... there are better alternatives.

I was speaking from a design standpoint... any designer will ensure that their work displays correctly in IE but there are the occasional screwups, especially on large sites. But, hands-down, IE6 is the worst browser for correctly displaying code. IE7 is marginally better but has its own hangups. On nearly a daily basis, I want to kick the entire IE team in the nuts for refusing to conform to W3C standards. It's complete crap and it ends up costing me and my clients valuable time and money because MS wants to do things their own way.

Oh, and if you stick to standardized coding, Safari displays things correctly more often than Opera. Opera has its fair share of screw-ups while Safari is slightly better. Neither one is that great, though. FF is definitely the best.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Opera tends to have compliance as a badge, i.e. they have the minimum possible in each area to put it on their marketing, while Firefox tends to be compliant 100% in common areas and have little support for generally unused parts of the standard. Neither is perfect, of course, and full inline SVG in Firefox is desirable.

Iceweasel >>>>>>> Firefox>Opera>Safari>Konqueror>IE7>>>>IE6 is my opinion.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.