By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do I convince a non-believer to change to firefox???

Who gives a crap? He will still be accessing the same things he'd access via firefox, and since he doesn't have problems with viruses so far, why would that change his mind

Let him be, and get over it.. its just a freaking internet browser

Around the Network

Using IE is bad, having Norton as virus scanner make it worse
Some free scanners such as AVG actually doing a better job

Start emailing him links to malware-infested websites.

I keed, I keed.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

i wasnt trying to have an elitist attitude or anything, i normally wouldnt care but i have to use his computer a lot so i partly want him to change for my benefit...

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

You could just ask him to install both. Problem solved.

Around the Network

lol, I see the obligatory anti Firefox people have made their way into the thread....

You folks are most likely the product of people who don't know how to let it go and tried to convince you until they were blue in the face. And sadly your are missing out, but thats your loss and your choice.

@Topic,

You don't convince people, you offer and if they refuse you let them continue using what they have. Nobody wants to be shown they are wrong about something they are convinced of and that is what produces the backlash you see above. Just let the man have his IE and if he eventually changes then great for him he is on the path to safer computing habits...if not he can deal with the issues that crop up because of it...you know those issues that people never properly attribute to IE but just instead assume is "normal for a computer".

The fact that it does everything IE does and does it better with far more options for customization and feature addition, along with the fact that its far more HTML compliant, patches security flaws faster than IE, and to even mention the Javascript/JScript issues is to open the pandora's box of shittiness...but none of that matters when you are faced with someone who despite their lack of computer knowledge refuses to believe a word of it and what they have now is "good enough" ...even if its only because they have never known anything better.

So in short, you let it go. He won't have it and its not worth your headache.

PS - LMFAO @ Norton, People still use that system hog? Thats more of a problem than IE7 imho. Just about any free option is better than Norton, do yourself a favor and don't ask him to get rid of it, TELL HIM to get rid of it. Then when your computer runs like twice as fast as it does now you will probably have an opening to say "So now that we're on the subject wanna take my advice on Firefox?"

To Each Man, Responsibility
@Sqrl I'm not anti Firefox.  It's just the Mac vs. PC; 360 vs. PS3; Windows vs. Linux nonsense that I'm tired of.Why can't people just use what they're comfortable with?  I don't need a hero.  And don't tell me that I'm uninformed.  I use Firefox on my family's computer (when I visit) and my coworker's laptop.  I don't see an obvious advantage.  I'm just not an "features" kind of guy.  The only toolbar I have visible in my browser is the tab bar.  I don't even use the "Favorites" function or quick search bar. That's just the way I am. Also, I'm very knowledgeable of computers.  I know so much, in fact, that I know I have nothing to worry about.

Like I said, I have been virus-free for years.  And it's not because of the browser I use.  That's all me.

Live and let live.

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

PS - LMFAO @ Norton, People still use that system hog? Thats more of a problem than IE7 imho. Just about any free option is better than Norton, do yourself a favor and don't ask him to get rid of it, TELL HIM to get rid of it. Then when your computer runs like twice as fast as it does now you will probably have an opening to say "So now that we're on the subject wanna take my advice on Firefox?"

whats the best free one?

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

AVG anti virus free edition is regarded one of the best free antiviruses.

On the topic I'm actually a IE user too *hides*, and I know how popular and good firefox is. I'm just too lazy to convert and learn it. thats all :)

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Yeah AVG or Avast, try one of those. You won't regret it. And I'm multi-platform when it comes to browsers haha. I'm browsing 90% of the time on Opera and the other 10% on Firefox.