By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How good is New Super Mario Bros Wii

Its a damn great game!

Around the Network

Awesome!

Soleron said:
I'm waiting to recieve the game at Christmas.

Are the level elements (ideas and objects that define the level) recycled from previous games, or not?

How complex is the overworld? Plenty of secret exits?

Well - there are blocks that you hit with your head, water that you swim through, and platforms that you jump on. Generally you run to the right until you reach the end of the level, which is a pole ala Super Mario Bros. But there are a lot of new obstacle types like big rotating platforms, and various ways to interact with the world have changed.

Its overworld is at least as complex as SMB3, maybe moreso.

Imagine you could harness raw awesome. Then dip it in awesome sauce and coat it in awesome sprinkles. Then travel back to a less awesome time from your past and start selling your dipped awesome stix on the mass market. You still would have less awesome than this game.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Khuutra said:
Soleron said:

Are the level elements (ideas and objects that define the level) recycled from previous games, or not?

Well - there are blocks that you hit with your head, water that you swim through, and platforms that you jump on. Generally you run to the right until you reach the end of the level, which is a pole ala Super Mario Bros.

WAS THAT SARCASM

Around the Network

Let's just say you're in for a real treat!

Soleron said:
Khuutra said:
Soleron said:

Well - there are blocks that you hit with your head, water that you swim through, and platforms that you jump on. Generally you run to the right until you reach the end of the level, which is a pole ala Super Mario Bros.

WAS THAT SARCASM

N-no

I admit I just don't understand the question

The overworld is a little bit simpler than Super Mario Bros 3, but more complex than Super Mario World. (No Pipes, No Flutes, No Rockes to Smash to get to Secret Areas, No items to use specifically on the overworld). The boss stages and scrolling stages are infinitely harder with more than one person. The levels are genuinely longer than what most mario games have to offer. There are on average two alternate endings per world... with each world also having two - three levels where you can go for an extra challenge (you have to carry someone through the world... not being able to use all your special powerups and such).

The only thing missing from the game is 1 - 2 more suits, and maybe a slightly more complex overworld with a few puzzles to solve, and maybe one more special house type with which to get extra items, 1ups). The level design is the best yet in a mario game (which is saying a lot). And playing with 2 players is amazing. (4 is a little chaotic but still an absolute blast if the 4 of you have a little bit of mario knowledge and are relatively calm individuals - No Psycho types allowed, you will end up with a broken remote or a broken TV or both).

The game is absolutely superb. I do not have a single complaint with it. It is everything a 2D Mario should be.
It is better than Super Mario World but not as good as Super Mario Bros. 3. Either way it is worth every penny of the 50 bux.
BUY BUY BUY!!

Soleron said:
I'm waiting to recieve the game at Christmas.

How complex is the overworld? Plenty of secret exits?

Probably about half the levels have secret exits.  I actually skipped one world on my first playthrough due to stumbling across a path to a cannon on my first run through one level.

The overworld's pretty complex.  There are multiple paths to get to some levels, and there are enemies roaming about that you can bump into like in Mario 3.

Some ideas are brought over, like the volcano/meteor levels from the DS game, but they're completely original level designs.  Most of it is totally new ideas.

Also, it must be said that this game has the best final boss Nintendo has ever come up with

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."