By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Famitsu Review

jonop said:
The summons were probably the most important factor to beating bosses in FFX.

Correct. Also, judging by the trailers and gameplay videos we have seen for FFXIII, it will be the same way as well.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
@g-value

Useful in X? Quick Hit + Auto-Life >>>> Everything in that game. I could beat penance and Nemesis at 255 Agility using only those two skills.

In FF7, excluding KOTR (which was only useful for a certain strategy for Emerald Weapon) none of them was actually useful, and some were even prejudicial, like Kjata.

In FF8, excluding Eden, none was actually useful other than to be HP meatbags, which espers from FFXII could also be used as

In FF9, why did you even use summons? Their damage wasn't even significative, even if you cast Ark at a Shadow-weak enemy.

In FFX, yes, they were very useful. You're acting like you had assess to Quick Hit and Auto-Life the entire game.

I remember using them alot in FF7 and FF8 as well. For FF9.......not so much. They were still MUCH more useful then the Espers in FFXII though.

darthdevidem01 said:
wholikeswood said:
darthdevidem01 said:
lestatdark said:
@Darth

The game will be awesome for us and for everyone who is expecting it Darth, no matter the score any magazine gives it ;) BTW, I beat you for the 8 days warning at the official thread :P

I know

It never really mattered what score FF13 would get.

I just hope maybe now people gain respect for famitsu for proving they are not just cheap sell outs that people thought them to be

One hyped game not getting the perfect score does not prove or disprove anything about Famitsu's reviewing integrity.

I personally think you're taking this so well because your hype for FFXIII was artificial in the first place. I swear I woke up one day and checked VGC only to find you'd caught Final Fantasy fever!

wtf?

why is it so hard for you to believe the hype is so big it doesn't matter what score it gets wholikeswood?

& if my hype for FF13 is artificial....well I have no words

respect lost towards you

Your question is a non-sequitur. What I said had nothing to do with whether or not its hype is big enough for the score not to matter. I just said that one blockbuster not getting the perfect score from Famitsu doesn't suddenly mean said outlet is a bastion of independence and integrity.

As for your hype, I wasn't trying to be unkind. It's just that I never saw you mention FFXIII with great reverence anytime last year or in the first half of this year. Then suddenly you're making 3 threads a day about it and proclaiming it "BEST GAME OF THE GEN WITHOUT DOUBT" in every other post. Perhaps I only noticed your eagerness for the game lately when in fact you've been keen on it for ages; apologies if so.

g-value said:
lestatdark said:
@g-value

Useful in X? Quick Hit + Auto-Life >>>> Everything in that game. I could beat penance and Nemesis at 255 Agility using only those two skills.

In FF7, excluding KOTR (which was only useful for a certain strategy for Emerald Weapon) none of them was actually useful, and some were even prejudicial, like Kjata.

In FF8, excluding Eden, none was actually useful other than to be HP meatbags, which espers from FFXII could also be used as

In FF9, why did you even use summons? Their damage wasn't even significative, even if you cast Ark at a Shadow-weak enemy.

In FFX, yes, they were very useful. You're acting like you had assess to Quick Hit and Auto-Life the entire game.

I remember using them alot in FF7 and FF8 as well. For FF9.......not so much. They were still MUCH more useful then the Espers in FFXII though.

Give me an example of a battle in FFX in which you didn't have access to both Quick Hit + Auto Life and actually needed to use Aeons as a way to win.

Most people found the hardest battles being Seymour Flux, Monster Arena Battles and Dark Aeons. By Seymour Flux you would already have Quick Hit and Auto-Life for both Yuna and Tidus, so that was covered. By the time the hardest Monster Arena Battles hit, you would have had to develop your characters way further than the main story required you too, so you'd have acess to Quick Hit + Auto Life to your main party characters, the same goes for Dark Aeons, as they were even tougher than Monster Arena Battles.

Oh and don't even forget that the hardest Story Battles, the ones in which probably you would have need for Aeons, were the ones in which your Aeons had Banish cast on them.

I'm not even saying that espers were useful in FFXII, they weren't. But to consider summons useful in any FF game, is stretching that definition too far.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:

You used them so your white mages could inflict more than double-digit damage. You're correct that they're not as good as Black Magic in that game, but you have to remember that they're assigned exclusively to support characters, so to me it balanced out fairly nicely (it'd be cheap if my white mage was also a heavy hitter!).

Around the Network

@noname2200

Fair enough, I guess people built a strategy out of that, yet having your white mages constantly on low MP due to summons, not a good idea.
Plus Eiko already had a four digit damage spell, Holy, which actually did the same damage as Maduin for 1/4 of MP.

Me, I rather have my white mages supporting and healing, when played correctly, both Protect, Shell, Reflect, Might, Curaga and Full-Life are amongst the most awesome spells in the game and surpass in usefulness every summon by miles ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"