By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 TV Spot Sends Muddled Message

New PS3 TV Spot Sends Muddled Message

By Susan Arendt November 01, 2007 | 9:15:05 AM
According to Sony's VP of Marketing, Peter Dille, the marketing campaign for the 40GB PS3 is going to have a "high-energy, entertainment-driven" focus, by which he means it will emphasize the console's exclusive games. In addition to pushing titles like Drake's Fortune, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet & Clank, the ads will spotlight the PlayStation Network "(did I mention online gaming is free on PS3??)", the PlayStation Store, and Home.

You can check out two of Sony's new TV commercials here. They're both very slick, but I think the second one is the only one that actually helps sell the console. Its message is simple: look at these pretty games, which you can only play on a PS3, which starts at $399. That's something that an uninformed consumer can hear and understand without any supplemental information.

The first one, on the other hand, just throws out way too much information without any kind of context. If you don't know about Blu-ray, or Home, or the PlayStation Network already, those brief images mean nothing to you. Perhaps they're meant to inspire the viewer to hurry into their local retail outlet and ask questions, but I think in trying to deliver so much information in such a compressed space, they've muddled their message.

If Sony  wants people to buy PS3s, they need to start clearly communicating the console's strengths, something they've really yet to do. Explain to us why we'd be fools not to have a PS3 in our entertainment center, Sony, don't just flash a bunch of slick graphics and expect us to figure it out for ourselves. That brief flash of Home makes it look like little more than another Sims game--put some bait on that hook or leave it out entirely. Yes, Peter, you mentioned to us that online play is free on the PS3, now how about mentioning it to people who don't already know that?

Obviously, these are just two commercials, and it's entirely possible that other ads in the campaign will focus on the very issues I've addressed, or at least just go back to the more simple message of "check out these awesome games you can only play on PS3." One thing both commercials get right is making the price point of $399 the very last thing the viewer sees. Perhaps that's really all they need to do.

New PS3 TV Ad Campaign [PlayStation.blog]

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Its there to get people interested in in the product, not educate them on it.

how is that so hard to understand ?

Well it's better than the ads with their Child molesting....

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

i think these are the best commercials theyve had yet.. didnt see anything in there that was hard to understand.. maybe HOMe but thats it.. alot of people might think HOME is a game or something.. other than that the message was simple..

Ps3 now starting at 399
these our our exclusive games for it
and we got Blu ray hi def..

susan must be slow.
on a side not anyone notice lair is nowhere to be found?? lol.. total bomb

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

No way the nectar one was nice *_*.

Around the Network

@urnote

Lair is their, look at the black dragon that comes out of the ps3. I really hope this gets ps3 sales to jump. They start next week.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

zackblue said:
@urnote

Lair is their, look at the black dragon that comes out of the ps3. I really hope this gets ps3 sales to jump. They start next week.

aww dam you're right.. dam i guess sony has enough balls to stick by this game..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

I think the commercials are great. Show the user that there's so much to do on the PS3 and put it to upbeat music that sends a message. If you want information, they had a whole year of "playb3yond" advertisements that went into the depth of the system. How well did that do?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

That's... exactly what I said in the other thread.

To get someone interested in the product... you actually do need to inform them on it. Both new adds really focus more on people who already want a PS3 and just haven't gotten one yet or people who have a PS3 and are considering multi-platform then they dom't focus on people who own another system, or arn't the super informed gamer that trolls the online sites. (in other words, your common gamer.) They don't even mention the games names anywhere during the commercial so you'd know what you were asking about if you've never heard of these games.

The reason a lot of you guys can't see that is because you guys are the people who know all these games like a year in advance... your the people this ad is tareting... but your also the people who are going to get PS3's anyway. (Like me.) Heck I probably wouldn't even notice this if it wasn't for the fact that i've had classes in marketing before. But when you disect the commercial it actually is a bit muddled and doesn't target new consumers.

Actually we should see a boost because the new R&C commercials started this week.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453