By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

This game is the most fun I had in the previous 5 years of gaming. You just can't beat fun and this game HAS IT. But to anyone that wants to try, you must play multiplayer with friends.

I will be surprised if it win any game of the year awards though just because of the way that reviewers are against anything nintendo these days.

Around the Network
rubido said:
d21lewis said:
To my absolute shock, I'm not in love with this game (yet). There's something missing. I played NSMB on the DS and got 100%. I played Mario Galaxy and got 100%. I even found all of the Stars in Mario 64 DS! With Mario Sunshine, I couldn't find everything, but I remember being obsessed with that game. I even own all of the Mario Advance games and I bought the original and Mario World on the Wii Virtual console. My point: I love Mario platformers.

But something's wrong here. I'm not feeling the magic. I'm happy with the purchase, but this game isn't game of the year, imo (Unless something epic is going to happen in World 6).

If you didn't play the game with friends, then you will not understand the magic of this game. It will be just another Mario (which is still a lot of quality in the package...).

I played it with 3 players.  At first, it was fun.....then things got ugly.  People were taking power ups, even when they were already powered up.  I'd go for a tricky jump, only to lose momentum because I'd bump into the person in front of me.  I'd fall into a pit, and attempt to wall jump my way out.....then, somebody would jump on my head and kill me.  I'd get blindsided by a turtle shell, thrown by one of my friends.  I'd press "A" to avoid dying.  Then, somebody else would press "A", too (thus killing us both!).  And the greatest sin of all?  When I was picked up by somebody else and tossed to my death.

I love the game, but that had to be the most frustrating day of my video game life!

d21lewis said:

I played it with 3 players.  At first, it was fun.....then things got ugly.  People were taking power ups, even when they were already powered up.  I'd go for a tricky jump, only to lose momentum because I'd bump into the person in front of me.  I'd fall into a pit, and attempt to wall jump my way out.....then, somebody would jump on my head and kill me.  I'd get blindsided by a turtle shell, thrown by one of my friends.  I'd press "A" to avoid dying.  Then, somebody else would press "A", too (thus killing us both!).  And the greatest sin of all?  When I was picked up by somebody else and tossed to my death.

I love the game, but that had to be the most frustrating day of my video game life!

But... but that is the fun! Complete chaos!

Maybe it's the people I've played with, since we kinda enjoy yelling at each other...

Even without the multiplayer, though, I think the game is among Mario's best. I'm surprised people can prefer NSMB DS to this, I found that game to be kind of mediocre.

Atleast NSMBWii got the #2 spot for GOTY in Swedish Level (you know, those guys that pwned the Conduit :P). So I'm happy XD.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
It isn't game of the year material. It's top 3 or at least top 5 of '09 though.

It seems wrong to give the honor to any game but Uncharted 2. Even if it's not your personal favorite it's inarguably the most deserving.

This is wrong in so many ways >_>

Around the Network

^^^ what I want to know is how a game can be in the top 3, but not GOTY material.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Finally played NSMB Wii and the game is everything i expected, absolutely amazing experience with other people. For me this is possibly the best game this generation.

Sure, why not?

This thread is intended to be serious, so I have no complaints. Have a nice day.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

nordlead said:
Ramser said:
Isn't strange how must of the people that say its game of the decade are the people that don't own a ps3 or a 360. NSMBW is most likely the best WII game of the year, but it cant be game of the decade because that spots already been taken, by uncharted 2

I have a PS3. Uncharted is massivly overhyped, but it is a good game. I haven't played Uncharted 2, but I expect about the same.

NSMBWii is a lot more fun, but it won't win GOTY for the 3 reasons in rol's OP. Uncharted 2 actually fufills those 3 reasons, so it will probably win.

You do yourself a disservice, Uncharted 2 is far better than Uncharted.  But go ahead and act like Uncharted 2 doesn't deserve the awards it will get even though you've never touched it. 

CGI-Quality said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
It isn't game of the year material. It's top 3 or at least top 5 of '09 though.

It seems wrong to give the honor to any game but Uncharted 2. Even if it's not your personal favorite it's inarguably the most deserving.

This is wrong in so many ways >_>

Well, since opinions are a quality of human beings, I don't see how his thought and feelings are wrong when you can't factually dispute it.

For his thoughts on Mario, no I don't agree. His thoughts on Uncharted 2, I do agree. Does either make his opinion "wrong", no.

I never said his opinion is "wrong". Him saying that his opinion is "inarguably" the right is, actually wrong.