By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

Can someone lock this chaos?
ps. Sorry Rol(Stoppable)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
^^ It's useless to continue a debate with you. Even when you have no facts, you still see yourself as right, when 9/10, you aren't.

No, I gave you facts, you just didn't like them, so you chose to ignore them, not my problem, and most of the time I am right, like right now, just like Uncharted one will not be played or remembered as long as NSMB DS, neither will Uncharted 2 be played or remembered as long as NSMB Wii.  But you go on and think that I'm wrong, in time you'll see I'm right, because as  as Thomas Paine said, "Time makes more converts than reason".

You aren't right most of the time, but right now you are.

So says the person with the KP avatar who cannot be trusted

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

RolStoppable said:
Kantor said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm tired of this Uncharted 2 fight, 3 will come, people will still be playing Mario Wii, U2 will hide behind 3, A classic massive Nintendo game will arrive, and this debate will start over, Nintendo fans, get over it, this longlasting masterpiece won't have a chance with U2, but let's see who will be remembered more, ask Famitsu, what was their U2 review... 37?... Mario 40?

If Nintendo made a new 2D Mario on Wii, you can be sure that people would stop playing NSMBWii.

You tend to stop playing the original if a good sequel releases... if you would rather play the original than the sequel, it's a bad sequel.

Okay, then go ahead and explain the SMB3 vs. SMW situation. Many gamers kept playing both for years and some still do, because why wouldn't they?

Alright, I'll rephrase.

When given the choice between playing a game, and a highly improved version of said game, with the same formula, you'll want to play the sequel. When a new entry in the franchise launches, with a few exceptions, the majority of the attention will turn to this new iteration. People will still play the old game, of course, but not as often as they used to. And then, in later generations, people will play both. Perhaps equally.

In that sense, people will be playing both Uncharted 2 and NSMBWii in the years to come. And you could claim to the contrary, but you have no evidence to back it up, because you can't see the future. You have no idea how much lasting appeal a game will have until a few years after it launches, so unless you want to give out the 2009 GoTY awards in 2012, the current system of judging a game based on how good it is now works.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kantor said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm tired of this Uncharted 2 fight, 3 will come, people will still be playing Mario Wii, U2 will hide behind 3, A classic massive Nintendo game will arrive, and this debate will start over, Nintendo fans, get over it, this longlasting masterpiece won't have a chance with U2, but let's see who will be remembered more, ask Famitsu, what was their U2 review... 37?... Mario 40?

If Nintendo made a new 2D Mario on Wii, you can be sure that people would stop playing NSMBWii.

You tend to stop playing the original if a good sequel releases... if you would rather play the original than the sequel, it's a bad sequel.

Wrong, I still play Mario 3, Mario World and NSMB DS, and I don't intend to ever stop playing NSMB Wii

Uncharted you'll be 100% right about, people will stop playing, but 2D Mario, that never gets old

Of course. Mario 3 and Mario World are both nearly 20 years old, NSMB is on a portable. If an NSMBWii 2 launched, on Wii, in a couple of years, and it was basically NSMB, but improved on every single aspect of the original, would you still play NSMBWii? Why?

Fact #1: New SMB Wii is the best platformer ever made.

Fact #2: Platformers are the best genre ever made.

Conclusion: New SMB Wii is the game of the forever.

To argue this, you must argue one or both facts. Good luck.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Fact #1: New SMB Wii is the best platformer ever made.

Fact #2: Platformers are the best genre ever made.

Conclusion: New SMB Wii is the game of the forever.

To argue this, you must argue one or both facts. Good luck.

I challenge Fact 2. Zelda isn't a platformer.

It's just about every other genre ever, but not a platformer.

I played it for a bit at EB games, and the controls were weird... like up and down were left and right... although it could just be because I don't own a Wii and am not used to the controller.

Also the graphics looked a lot different then what it looked like in trailers. It could have been the way it was set up though... but over all it was disappointing. I don't mean because it's 2-D either. I think pretty games are pretty, and in trailers it looked pretty, but at this location it looked terrible.

Also, it won't be because Dragon Age origins was released.

But it will sell well and many Nintendo fans will be happy this holiday season.

@Kantor, but that's the point Kanotr, 2D Mario games are never exactly the same, they are always different enough to keep people coming back, not to mention, most games don't get played in later years, Iconic games get played in later years, 2D mario games have a tendency to become iconic, which is why people still play SMW and SMB 3 and others, the next console mario will not be the same as NSMB Wii, which is why people will keep coming back to NSMB Wii, while still playing the new one.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I kindq disagree of 2d marios not being "same", I mean the formula keeps repeating, but shooters aren't too inovative

According to the VGAs, apperantly not. (biased &%#$@^!!)