By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Live Gold is not good value, and it is holding the 360 back

I wish Gold was free because the 360 gaming community is much deeper than the PS3. But with the PS3 being free I just cannot justify the expense(theres not that much of a difference).

And you should never download any old titles with your 360. Once you purchase them that money is gone forever. Go to Gamesstop and by a hard copy for a couple bucks and then return it and get some of your money back. It's a gimmick and a rip off.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:

Do you even realize that LIVE isn't the BEST at anything at all? If you do you are just deluding yourself.

Any one thing? No, probably not. Better overall than it's competitors? Yes.

Speaking of ignorance, I can't help but laugh at you thinking LIVE has less lag than PC games. You either know nothing or you just are one of the mos ignornat people I have seen when it comes to gaming who pretends to know something. I usually get less than 50ms lag in my games, wish there was any measure in our 360 other than bars to compare, but apparently if you go by MW2, full bars means you can have up to 200ms, talk about ignorant people on the 360s.

Reading comprehension has always been an issue for you, I should have expected this... Your comment referred to when Live first came out. And my statement clearly referenced back then. When you and your family were laughing about Live, it was the best way to play online. Clearly now, it's much less of an issue. But it's good that you can determine a 200ms ping, despite having said in the same sentence that there was no way to compare.

Also I do have a job, and I still don't see why I should take the stick and pay 4 bucks for somethign that doesn't offer anything special, also my friends play on PC and only locally do we use a console. They know better, they aren't about to bend over for MS either. Oh, they also probably have higher paying jobs than you.

$4 is hardly "taking the stick." It's a fee of next to nothing for a good service. If you don't like it, don't pay it. I could wash my own car, but I run it through the carwash instead. Am I taking the stick? Or am I choosing to spend a small amount of money for something I think is valuable.

And ouch, your friends probably earn more than me... You got me good. (Also, it is statistically very unlikely that they do - And I can't imagine them even noticing $4 a month even being worth commenting on if they did)

Also alright the PS3 was behind, but it has caught up, why should someone pay for LIVE now?

It has nearly caught up - there's still a few advantages that Live has. And why shoudl they pay now? Maybe because it was ahead for 2 years, so now 10 million more people in the US have 360's than PS3s? Certainly not worth investing in a PS3 just for PSN.

As for MMOs, you obvioulsy haven't played them enough to understand. ALso look at Guild Wars, that one was free and it did what you wanted. As for inter-game communication, launch your games through Steam, it does inter game chat and voice. But I guess ignorant people like you wouldn't know about that so they rather bend over for other companies and pay for subpar experiences.

You are basing that on absolutely nothing. I played MMORPGs from the days of EQ when they were just being born through to breaking free from WoW last year. I've also played numerous ones in between. Oh good, 1 MMO meets the criteria given. And voice communication through steam? I've tried using voice chat in L4D2 on both PC and 360, and let me tell you, 360 blows it away. Infact, even when we play games on Steam, my friends and I still opt to use Vent. 

Infact, I clearly.. so very clearly... stated that it was the implementation of voice chat options that was sub par, not that they didn't exist. It doesn't sound like you've used Live, or else you wouldn't even be discussing this.

Also yes, you can indeed get an older game for 10 bucks. Another way you show your utter ignorance. There are FAR more indie games that come out on the PC than on LIVE, and yes they are all cheap and many are btter than most games that come out at full price, especially the console ones. Also required voice chat for communication is the worst idea ever. I generally turn it off in games like L4D2 because I don't want to listen to idiots when I'm having fun. But I guess 360 owners are fine with all the little retarded children yelling at them, they even count is as a plus and think it's a great thing!

What? I never said you couldn't get good games for $10. But you indicated that amount of content was all that mattered. And by that (faulty) logic, virtually no full price game is worth it.

And great, now you're calling a very useful feature bad, because you've made an excuse to discount its value? When playing an intense game, instant hands-free communication can be the difference between victory and defeat. And you can silence "little retarded children." As with anything useful and valuable, some people abuse and misuse it. But being a PC gamer, surely you realize that this didn't start with voice communication. As someone who started playing on Battle.Net in the early days of StarCraft, I can assure you, annoying people were just as much an issue in the days when communication was all typed.

Actually I think you need better reading comprehension. I laughed when it first came out. My family laughed recently, as in 2 weeks ago.

Also you can't equate wahing your car and a carwash to Live, because a car wash actually offers a whole lot more than LIVE has to offer. Also going by their statisitcs they do probably indeed make more than you, but then again I doubt they want me to release their information in an online argument.

Also implementation of voice chat, through the VoIP on WoW, I used it a while back and just very recently in a puig, has improved a lot. However the Steam VoIP in chat rooms works just fine, I wouldn't know how it works in L4D2 because I mute anyone who talks who isn't a friend. As I said, I listen to idiots enough in real life, I don't wanna hear them in game as well. Also I am calling compulsory voice chat a bad thing, voice chat is great, but not when you are with random people. Hell I mute people in my very own guild on Vent, what chances do random people get? The whole difference is an opt-in vs an opt-out. Also as having started using Bnet since WC2 Bnet edition I can tell you i'd rather have people type than listen to their annoying voices.

As I stated before, the biggest advantage that LIVE has is the fact it is ubuquitous while people have to download Steam or Xfire or whatever else they use to communicate with others or get their games. Ultimately friends will use the same service and they will be able to communicate/play together. I'm not even touching on all the non-gaming features than PC online has compared to LIVE.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

yeah it's a rip-off. but i guess they need their money back for fixing more than half of the RROD xboxs

It is a rip off, and between windows vista, xbox gold live, and RROD, I have a hard time giving any more of my money to microsoft, but I'm sure I will . . .

[double post]

Around the Network

Here are the 2 main reasons I do not pay for LIVE.

#1. I own a PS3. If I want to play a game online I will just buy the PS3 version and do it for free.
#2. Yes, $50/year may not seem expensive, but that $50 can get me a game instead.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Xbox Live Gold isn't holding M$ back at all. They are actually making a decent profit off XBox Live, which I can't say the same for PSN. HOME was a complete failure. Is anyone still using it besides teenagers for social gathering? I don't think many gamers are buying furniture, clothes and all that other crap from off their site. Sony themselves has announced that they will have a subscription plan in the near future? I wonder why? Maybe is has to do with the billions they lost this year. Sure they dropped the price of the PS3 and released the Slim (which was still losing money on every unit after it launched), yet they can't seem to earn a buck. Sony's answer is to have a subscription for some of the PSN functions. They say they're not going to touch the FREE only player-vs- player function. So are they going to take away demos, themes or trophies. What will the subscription be for? Meantime Microsoft XBox Live is cleaning house with 100's of demos and great arcade games. Sure they charge for things as well, but I found a lot of stuff FREE on XBox 360. The $50 a year is well worth it for all the stuff that's on XBox Live.

Here are the 2 main reasons I do not pay for LIVE.

#1. I own a PS3. If I want to play a game online I will just buy the PS3 version and do it for free.
#2. Yes, $50/year may not seem expensive, but that $50 can get me a game instead.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't remember the last time I played anything on PSN. I think it was that bowling game in HOME. lol!! That thing was horrible. Before that I played Motorstorm online, but that was almost a year ago. I see no reason to play any 3rd party game on the PS3, when the superior version plays better on the XBox 360. I haven't even tried Killzone 2 online yet. That and maybe Uncharted 2 are the only titles I'm eager to play on PSN. With XBox Live, you know that every game will have online chat and an easy way to find your friends to play. Can't say that about every PS3 game online.

'gaming till I'm gone'

XanderZane Sony may also be making a profit from PSN, but of course if they do it's much lower than MS with XBL. But that's not the point, I was talking about sales and customer perception.

Sony won't necessarily charge for existing stuff with the PSN subscription. They may just add some things.

The stuff you can find free at XBL, you can download with Silver so it's not part of what I was discussing.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I disagree with this post. Here are some pertinent numbers for you:

~33m+ 360's have been shipped.

According to leaked Microsoft documents long ago, the Live Gold subscribe rate at that time was 50-60%. (Cant recall if this was USA only).

So, conservatively, ~15m people are paying $50 per year for Live Gold.

$50X15m=$750m of revenue per year MS takes in from Gold. Or 187.5m per quarter.

More pertinent numbers, the quarter ended September 30, the MS division Xbox is in posted $300m profit, the Sony division PS3 is in posted $600m loss.

So, Live is close to 200m per quarter in revenue. In other words 1/3 of Sony's PS3 losses could have been erased this last quarter if they had comparable Live Gold revenue. Similarly 2/3 of Microsofts profits would have disappeared without it.

This is why Sony is going to introduce a subscription service to PSN.

zeewap, I think you're confusing gold subscribe rate with the total number of accounts. IIRC, microsoft includes non-current (expired) gold accounts in addition to silver accounts in their Xbox Live userbase statistics.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka