By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why aren't PS3 owners more dedicated to their system's amazing games?????

PS3 owners probably have more various tastes,while the 360 ones focus more on FPS games,thats the way i see it.

Around the Network
alanshearer said:

Is this xbox fanboys next line of fud attack?. PS3 exclusives sell very very well. I know personally Sony are delighted with there 1st party because the vast majority are profitable. And it's now almost customary for there games to have 1million+ sales.

Can you give me a couple of examples where exclusives havent sold well?.

haha man, wrong guess. I'm 100% Sony, don't own any microsoft consoles...and this is why, after seeing the trend of ps3 games selling less than 360 games, it's so frustrating to me. And I did list examples, listed like 7 games (Killzone 2-big sales disappointment; Resistance 2-disappointment; Ratchet & Clank 1&2-low sales imo; inFAMOUS, etc.). And to be honest, if I wasn't able to see how much 360 sells games, and therefore how many more game sales they receive than ps3, then I wouldn't be upset about ps3's game sales. I think that was a really confusing sentence.

RageBot said:
pitzy272 said:
outlawauron said:
pitzy272 said:

Now onto inFAMOUS...it's the same situation as U2, except MUCH worse. inFAMOUS is probably the 3rd best game i have EVER played (only Uncharted 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are above it)

Man, I don't know what to say here. I'm so, so sorry. I don't know what'd I know in your situation.

What??? What did ur post mean?

That if Infamous is your third best game ever, you didn't game much in your life, and really need to expand your horizons.

Wrong, had sega, playstation 1, dreamcast, and have played a lot of the major games on nintendo, n64, xbox, and ps2. I've definitely done some gaming in my time and still put inFAMOUS at #3. Why is this so hard to believe? I'm guessing u didn't like inFAMOUS? And what games would YOU put above it?

Well I finally see why your disappointed it's because you expect all these new/newish IP's that sony makes to sell buttloads like the established IP's such as COD,Halo,GT,Mario etc I.....some new IP's sell butloads too but not many does and even if they do they don't come close to selling like the established IP's.

...because ps3 owners generally have very diverse opinions on which of the system's games are truly amazing. Moreso than the 360 and wii

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

chubaca said:

1.-X360 is dominating in the USA
2.-Average income in the USA is much better than the average of the rest oh the world
3.-Comparatively, games in the USA are cheaper than most of the world (if not the cheapest). I have to pay between 50% to 100% extra money to get the same games/consoles/accesories/etc.

Do the freaking math.

2. Thats certainly not the reason. Sorry if I have to disappoint you but the US sallary is not the highest in the world. Its very high it ranges in the upper areas but there are countrys which have a lot higher income then the US. 
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Länder_nach_Bruttoinlandsprodukt_pro_Kopf

You can see here that if you go just by the dollars USA ranges at Place 15 (left chart) if you count with the international dollar its on place 6. International dollar is a hypothetical currency that has the same purchasing power the Dollar had in a given point in time.( I just noticed that favors the US because the dollar equals the same dollar 10 years ago but the dollar has lost a lot purchasing power so the left chart is the right one) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_dollar.

Which is very good but its not far away from the countrys below that and you dont have to forget that the USA has almost as much Billionairs as Russia and the most millionairs too so the statistic is pretty tainted. You can see thats no argument. 

That the games are cheaper might be a reason. But the truth is that in Europe (outside of UK ) Videogames are not as big as in the US. The market grew over the years and it will grow even more in the future but at the moment videogames dont play the role as it does in the US,Uk or Japan. A lot of people are still PC Gamer here. The market will develop in the future in europe. But 50-100% is just wrong. Ofcourse the Dollars weakness make it seem that its expensive. Its certainly more expensive in some Areas like Australia or Brasil but in Europe its not that bad. Especially in UK is everything cheap. But for example a 299 Euro Console is for people here is almost like 299 Dollar in the US. So it has everything to do with the fact that Videogames are bigger in the US then in Europe. And in Japan its mostly handheld gaming. So ofcourse Xbox360 has an advantage but the PS3 will catch up and will get more and more sales this will lead to higher software sales.

Netyaroze said:

chubaca said:

2.-Average income in the USA is much better than the average of the rest oh the world
3.-Comparatively, games in the USA are cheaper than most of the world (if not the cheapest). I have to pay between 50% to 100% extra money to get the same games/consoles/accesories/etc.

Do the freaking math.

2. Thats certainly not the reason. Sorry if I have to disappoint you but the US sallary is not the highest in the world. Its very high it ranges in the upper areas but there are countrys which have a lot higher income then the US. 
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Länder_nach_Bruttoinlandsprodukt_pro_Kopf

You can see here that if you go just by the dollars USA ranges at Place 15 (left chart) if you count with the international dollar its on place 6. International dollar is a hypothetical currency that has the same purchasing power the Dollar had in a given point in time.( I just noticed that favors the US because the dollar equals the same dollar 10 years ago but the dollar has lost a lot purchasing power so the left chart is the right one) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_dollar.

Which is very good but its not far away from the countrys below that and you dont have to forget that the USA has almost as much Billionairs as Russia and the most millionairs too so the statistic is pretty tainted. You can see thats no argument. 

That the games are cheaper might be a reason. But the truth is that in Europe (outside of UK ) Videogames are not as big as in the US. The market grew over the years and it will grow even more in the future but at the moment videogames dont play the role as it does in the US,Uk or Japan. A lot of people are still PC Gamer here. The market will develop in the future in europe. But 50-100% is just wrong. Ofcourse the Dollars weakness make it seem that its expensive. Its certainly more expensive in some Areas like Australia or Brasil but in Europe its not that bad. Especially in UK is everything cheap. But for example a 299 Euro Console is for people here is almost like 299 Dollar in the US. So it has everything to do with the fact that Videogames are bigger in the US then in Europe. And in Japan its mostly handheld gaming. So ofcourse Xbox360 has an advantage but the PS3 will catch up and will get more and more sales this will lead to higher software sales.

but I didn't say that US sallary is the highest, read again, please.

I still think that gaming is bigger in the US than in other countries mainly (obviously there are other reasons) because of income and price. Dude, I live in Chile, is not that we don't get the latest things. Every game is available here from the official launch day or sooner, but it's just so fucking expensive. I'm a 30 years old single professional: I can afford gaming without problems, but I'm hardly representative of the average situation of my fellow countrymen.

You don't even imagine how succesful was/is PS2 here, a LOT of people that I know have/had one, but for one single reason: piracy. And that included me, I bought some original games when I started to work.

chubaca said:
Netyaroze said:

chubaca said:

Do the freaking math.

but I didn't say that US sallary is the highest, read again, please.

I still think that gaming is bigger in the US than in other countries mainly (obviously there are other reasons) because of income and price. Dude, I live in Chile, is not that we don't get the latest things. Every game is available here from the official launch day or sooner, but it's just so fucking expensive. I'm a 30 years old single professional: I can afford gaming without problems, but I'm hardly representative of the average situation of my fellow countrymen.

You don't even imagine how succesful was/is PS2 here, a LOT of people that I know have/had one, but for one single reason: piracy. And that included me, I bought some original games when I started to work.

Oh ok  you are right I misread the paragraph. But you must consider JUST the 3 main markets plus countrys like Australia because the market outside of these regions is insignificant almost nonexistant. And in those 3 regions the income is as big as in US so this is not an argument. The Xbox has 6.3 Million more consoles thats why it is moving more software. And PS3 has a small disadvantage to sell western blockbuster because the Japanese people buy different games then the people in the West. The reason why the PS3 sells lesser software is because it has a smaller userbase. Who knows if Uncharted would be succesful in Japan like in the West it would be probably some kind of Gears with 5 Million+ sales. But the Japanese people have different taste. And the Ps3 has still lesser systems sold then the 360 so ofcourse thats another factor. If the PS3 would have zero in NA but 22 Mio in Europe and the 360 would have zero in Europe but 22 Million in the US the combined software sales for all titles would be similar. Do we have the tie ratio for US/Europe and Japan ? The tie ratio for the PS3 is higher then for the 360 I think there is no indication that its better to have the same sales numbers on another market (in the core regions).
To really make an conclusion we need the tie ratio for all 3 big markets. For certain software titels its good if a console rules a certain market, but for the totals software ? I dont think so. We would be able to judge the situation if we get the total software sales numbers for PS3 and 360 for the year 2009 and substract the average percentage difference of the PS3 from the 360 Software sales numbers if this number will be significantly higher then the real total software sales number of the PS3 we will be able to see if the Xbox360 really pushs more software. 

as far as i know, the attach ratio of 360 is higher.

Now, you think that Europe as a whole is comparable to US in terms of income? I don't think so.

Microsoft spends a lot more on marketing in NA then Sony does. And not every 360 exclusive sells gangbusters on 360.