By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - L4D2 sells over 2 millions at retail, not counting Steam sales

Left 4 Dead 2 Sells Over 2 Million Copies at Retail; Downloadable Content News 'Very Soon'

Valve's multiplayer-centric zombie shooter Left 4 Dead 2 has sold "over 2 million retail copies" worldwide since it released on November 17, the developer said today.

"[Left 4 Dead 2] appears to be on target to become one of the top selling Xbox [360] and PC titles for the month of November," reads an announcement sent out by Valve. As the above figure only details sales of physical retail copies, the numbers do not include copies of the game sold through Valve's PC digital distribution platform Steam.

The company added that "sales to date are more than double the original [Left 4 Dead]" and that L4D2 has "already been played by over 1 million Xbox LIVE Gold account holders," with word that "news regarding L4D2 DLC 1 is coming very soon."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61425

Around the Network

err, I do not want to know the terrible problems valve to going to have with free updates for the xbox version.
I am interested to see how much the steam sales were, 700k? Anybody have a rough estimate?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Congrats to an amazing game. Well worth the sales and praise it is receiving.

That is insane i thought it would hit 2 million by the middle of next year.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Why is this in the "PC discussion"? This is also for the Xbox

Around the Network

Anyone know the breakdown here between PC and 360 sales?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Strategyking92 said:
err, I do not want to know the terrible problems valve to going to have with free updates for the xbox version.

Assuming I take your comment correctly, I believe the problem is that Microsoft's policies won't let them (or any other company) give out free upgrades via Live. At least, that's what I remember reading.

noname2200 said:
Strategyking92 said:

Assuming I take your comment correctly, I believe the problem is that Microsoft's policies won't let them (or any other company) give out free upgrades via Live. At least, that's what I remember reading.

I know. Pathetic MS has to be that petty. Maybe they could sneak it in as a title update though?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
noname2200 said:
Strategyking92 said:

I know. Pathetic MS has to be that petty. Maybe they could sneak it in as a title update though?

That isn't true, there are plenty of free upgrades via live.  The problem is microsoft doesn't like to let a good money maker go to waste, so they made valve charge for the second dlc for the first l4d.  However micrsoft isn't always like that, they even gave out a map with their money printer halo 3.  

Valve could still get some free upgrades through, they did with the first l4d, so we will see.

Wasn't this posted like 5 times?