By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another developer doesn't see "make games up to standard" as an answer.

Procrastinato said:

There was no 2nd gunman.

Sorry, couldn't help it, with all the "3rd party Anti-Wii Conspiracy" talk.

Why can't you guys accept 3rd party upsetness over Wii revenue and demographics and try to understand that they are businessmen, not conspirators, nor are they chuckleheads who don't know how to analyze the market.

Believing that you know more than the folks who run these places is... mighty big talk. Seriously, you guys should start your own -- if your ideas are sound enough, you'll go the distance, right?  In the interests of actual business analysis, I suggest you take these folks words for what they are, rather than cooking up conspiracy theories, and approaching the problem from that perspective.

Id give you a standing O right now but I cant be bothered with it.

Around the Network

"Sorry, couldn't help it, with all the "3rd party Anti-Wii Conspiracy" talk."

We aren't claiming this is a conspiracy. That's just a strawman. We're talking about a bunch of people who are stuck in a mindset.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

z101 said:

Another shovelware producer moves on to PS3/xbox360. :) It seems the Wii User, even the casual ones, are buying more quality software and show cold shoulder to shovelware.

And the Wii gets more and more topgames from third-parties in 2010, like Monster Hunter 3, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces, Dragon Quest X, Samurai Warriors 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers, The Sky Crawlers, Epic Mickey etc. etc.

And only ONE of those is from a Western company. That is another issue on its own.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

z101 said:

Another shovelware producer moves on to PS3/xbox360. :) It seems the Wii User, even the casual ones, are buying more quality software and show cold shoulder to shovelware.

And the Wii gets more and more topgames from third-parties in 2010, like Monster Hunter 3, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces, Dragon Quest X, Samurai Warriors 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers, The Sky Crawlers, Epic Mickey etc. etc.

youre better than Jack Tretton

SaviorX said:
z101 said:

And only ONE of those is from a Western company. That is another issue on its own.

dont open that bag of worms...that wont be changing anytime soon, and scew western developers anyway...they make junk and are key when comes to markets saturation

Around the Network

This amuses me.

Either this company is totally in denial about the quality of the software they produce and doesn't see themselves as contributing to Wii's shovelware problem or they think we're silly enough not to notice. I mean this press release is tantamount to saying, well the Wii consumers have figured us out so we are going to head on over there where the consumers may not yet have realised how crap our software is and we might still have a chance to dupe a few hundred thousand of them.

I like to think of this movement as the Blue Ocean strategy for shovelware developers. They are sick of having to compete in the red ocean of shovelware on the Wii, so they are heading to clearer waters. Bon Voyage!

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Sorry, couldn't help it, with all the "3rd party Anti-Wii Conspiracy" talk."

We aren't claiming this is a conspiracy. That's just a strawman. We're talking about a bunch of people who are stuck in a mindset.

Of course.  You have to ask yourself if its they who are stuck, or if its you, though.  That's my point.

What I see here, on the forums, are a "bunch of people who are stuck in a mindset", just as your claim the publishers/devs are.  Seriously consider that for a moment, and your foresight may become much clearer, with regards to the Wii, and its future -- and perhaps more importantly, future console generations.

Is it that 3rd parties aren't pushing Wii software hard enough, or is it that the Wii targets casual/kids ("blue ocean"), and nothing more, which is what the 3rd parties are actually struggling with?

I agree that 3rd parties should be putting more effort into making quality casual games for the Wii.  They have yet to learn that "1/4th" the price of a HD console game makes... basically garbage, unless you're really lucky with some tiny, nubile developer (who hasn't moved on, to wanting a bigger budget, yet), and that even casuals can "smell garbage".  They should avoid making traditional demographic games for the Wii like the plague, however.  They will never succeed, unless the brand is already grossly popular (i.e. CoD, or Madden -- in other words, its a known commodity to the casual audience), and even then, only so much.  New "hardcore" IPs on the Wii... will never work outside of Japan, where the casual and hardcore markets crossover much, much more -- even there its a risk, because Japan just isn't all that big.

If EA, Ubisoft, etc. made only a couple casual Wii games each quarter, they'd be doing much better (assuming they were big projects).  The "1/4th budget" BS will only produce profit once in a blue moon -- they need to stop relying on the assumption that "the Wii is cheap".  1/2 HD budget... sure, maybe.  1/4th?  Makes crap.

^No its the third parties, I bring as an example Rabbids go home, no advertising or marketing, and a lot of people don't even know its out yet.

Or Dead Space, instead of making a full fledged shooter, they make it on rails and then whine when people don't buy it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^No its the third parties, I bring as an example Rabbids go home, no advertising or marketing, and a lot of people don't even know its out yet.

Or Dead Space, instead of making a full fledged shooter, they make it on rails and then whine when people don't buy it

Rabbids is an example that fits within the "low budget == no sales" category.

DS:E is the way it is, because looking that good, on the Wii, isn't possible without limiting the scope of what the player can do at any one time.  A cruddy-looking open shooter wouldn't have done better, and honestly, the demographics (or lack thereof) are what really killed it.  DS:E is a good game, for what it is.  Its way better looking than RE:4 Wii (which is actually quite linear, itself), whether you want to believe it, or not.  They paid the rail shooter price, for the visual benefits.  Another RE:4 wouldn't have gone any further.

Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Rabbids is an example that fits within the "low budget == no sales" category.

DS:E is the way it is, because looking that good, on the Wii, isn't possible without limiting the scope of what the player can do at any one time.  A cruddy-looking open shooter wouldn't have done better, and honestly, the demographics (or lack thereof) are what really killed it.

Well that's the third parties fault for not advertising it, Ubisoft can afford the budget for advertising the game, the fact that they didn't put money aside for it, proves they are either stupid or they have the wrong mindset.

Then why did RE4 sell over a million, why did Metroid prime and two call of Duty's sell over a million?  Off rail games can sell on Wii, and you can downgrade the graphics if you need to

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)