By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you people see the sale shifts?

r505Matt said:
dbot said:

EDD Performance

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Total
 $         (485,000,000)  $(1,339,000,000)  $(1,898,000,000)  $     497  $     169  $(3,721,999,334)

These were the numbers I got from the 10-k's.  Are they different than yours?  Why are you adjusting for RRoD coverage?

Why would you include 2005? Fiscal 2005 ended september 30th 2005, 360 was released in November, and in the discussions and analysis section of the 2006 report, it mentions the 360 development costs there. I don't think they reported any 360 costs before fiscal 2006. Even if you put that together, it comes to 3 billion, you know 2008 and 2009s are positive right? They reported profit.

And I thought it didn't include anything about the warranty since I couldn't find anything about it. Doesn't mean it isn't already in there though.

Though now that I think about it, it's not like they would need to report the loss ahead of time, so I guess it didn't make any sense. So EDD is at 3.056 billion loss since 360's release. 2.571 if you don't include fiscal 2005.

@CGI-Quality, probably -.-

so 2.57 - Zune losses for 4 years (BIG! Would be very surprised if this is less than 1 billion) - Windows Mobile losses (don't know how big though) +/- Mac Office (tiny profit or loss)

besides that MS reported a 312 million profit in the EDD for the past 3 months. (Q1 2010) 
And the next 3 months gonna be good as well, because of Forza 3, Halo ODST as first party titles
and Assassins Creed II, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and GTA IV DLC pack as 3rd party titles.

And Xbox Live fees probably saw a boost as well, because of MW II and the new update.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
r505Matt said:
dbot said:

EDD Performance

$         (485,000,000)  $(1,339,000,000)  $(1,898,000,000)  $     497  $     169  $(3,721,999,334)

These were the numbers I got from the 10-k's.  Are they different than yours?  Why are you adjusting for RRoD coverage?

Why would you include 2005? Fiscal 2005 ended september 30th 2005, 360 was released in November, and in the discussions and analysis section of the 2006 report, it mentions the 360 development costs there. I don't think they reported any 360 costs before fiscal 2006. Even if you put that together, it comes to 3 billion, you know 2008 and 2009s are positive right? They reported profit.

And I thought it didn't include anything about the warranty since I couldn't find anything about it. Doesn't mean it isn't already in there though.

Though now that I think about it, it's not like they would need to report the loss ahead of time, so I guess it didn't make any sense. So EDD is at 3.056 billion loss since 360's release. 2.571 if you don't include fiscal 2005.

I think you need to get a new calculator.  When I add 2006 - 2009 I get a loss of 3.2 billion not 2.571 billion.  And yes, I understand what a profit is.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
r505Matt said:
dbot said:

EDD Performance

I think you need to get a new calculator.  When I add 2006 - 2009 I get a loss of 3.2 billion not 2.571 billion.  And yes, I understand what a profit is.

Alright, let's take this slowly then. 1.339 + 1.898 = 3.237

Then 3.237 - .497 - .169 = 2.571

If you want to include 2005 (which isn't right anyways) 2.571 + .485 = 3.056

You are doing something wrong. Mostly seems like you didn't account for profit.

DirtyP2002 said:

so 2.57 - Zune losses for 4 years (BIG! Would be very surprised if this is less than 1 billion) - Windows Mobile losses (don't know how big though) +/- Mac Office (tiny profit or loss)

besides that MS reported a 312 million profit in the EDD for the past 3 months. (Q1 2010) 
And the next 3 months gonna be good as well, because of Forza 3, Halo ODST as first party titles
and Assassins Creed II, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and GTA IV DLC pack as 3rd party titles.

And Xbox Live fees probably saw a boost as well, because of MW II and the new update.

As I stated above the loss is 3.2 billion since 2006.  I know this has been discussed before, the EDD includes all MS Office, MS Vista, MS Windows 7, and Windows XP software sold at retail.  It also includes MS Games for Windows sales.  The truth is we will never really know how much money the Xbox brand makes or loses because the data is lumped together.

Edit: It is a 2.57 billion dollar loss.

r505Matt said:
dbot said:
r505Matt said:
dbot said:

Alright, let's take this slowly then. 1.339 + 1.898 = 3.237

Then 3.237 - .497 - .169 = 2.571

If you want to include 2005 (which isn't right anyways) 2.571 + .485 = 3.056

You are doing something wrong. Mostly seems like you didn't account for profit.

Ok.  You are right, I didn't list the 07 and 08 years in millions during my calculations.  The loss is 2.57 billion since 2006.  The reason 2005 was included is because of R&D for the 360.  We can exclude it since it includes original Xbox numbers as well.  

Around the Network
dbot said:
DirtyP2002 said:

As I stated above the loss is 3.2 billion since 2006.  I know this has been discussed before, the EDD includes all MS Office, MS Vista, MS Windows 7, and Windows XP software sold at retail.  It also includes MS Games for Windows sales.  The truth is we will never really know how much money the Xbox brand makes or loses because the data is lumped together.

Edit: It is a 2.57 billion dollar loss.

EDD does not include MS Office, MS Vista, MS Windows 7, and Windows XP.  If it did do you really think Microsoft would have posted billion dollar losses in the past for the EDD division?  Those products are in the Microsoft Business and Microsoft Platform Products and Services Divisions.

Legend?...you´re back, I thought you had left vgchartz for good, especially after the way you exploded with naz.

I expect to be perma-banned soon. I'm pretty busy these days anyways with a very demanding job, a girlfriend, and a major attempt to clear a backlog of games.

rocketpig said:

Oh good, I'm glad to see a third consecutive year of "PS3 will pass 360 next year" posts. These never get old.

Does it really matter? MS has put a hurt on Sony this generation (though not to the bloody flogging Big N has given everyone). Or really, more accurately, Sony has put a hurt on themselves with a $300 console in its fourth holiday season.

Next year, MS will drop the 360 price, sales will surge, and Sony will counter sometime down the road. If (and it's a big "if") the PS3 passes the 360 in overall sales, it will be so late in the generation that no one outside of fanboy number freaks will give a damn.

The only thing we've really learned this generation is:

1. Well-implemented innovation wins out over everything
2. Launching a console at $400+ is a very, very bad idea

3. DLC is a great way to steal money from your customers.

4. Never, ever, have all-inclusive hardware, because you get more money from an official wifi adapter, official hard drive, pay-to-play online service, $20 add-ons for something that should have been included at launch, and a $200 hi-def device that will be obsolete within a year.

Microsoft would not have been profitable with the 360 this generation if the owners of their consoles weren't utterly retarded when it came to exhibiting intelligent consumer behavior. It pains me since the next generation we will see the market change based upon the decisions consumers made this past generation. We've already seen the seeds get planted, with Kaz Hirai announcing plans for a tiered PSN service.

Also, if the PS3 eventually surpasses the 360 in sales, it will still matter. The Xbox barely beat the GC last generation, yet the GC is viewed as the big loser. Both companies are fighting for brand recognition at this point.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Tenkin said:
Sony lineup next year are many mmo's and old school (hardcore) games while the wand looks like a weak alternative to the wii, while xbox has a decent line up a few mmo's and hardcore games but it also has natal which they keep trying to show they are serious about, this could mean competition for the wii so M$ might prove natal is the real deal and steal the wii spot light trying to take both the wiiand the ps3 down at the same time.

Or am i looking at this th wrong way?

MS attacking both Sony and Nintendo would be a bold move, but it makes me think, what does this remind me of?

Oh, yes... Hadn't Hitler the "brilliant" idea of opening two fronts and putting himself in the middle? And how did it end?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!