By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 SIGNIFICANTLY Outsold Xbox 360 on Black Friday!!!!!

s1lverFoX said:
Seems like even with losing more money per system they only outsold x360 by 60k. I think microsoft will outsell ps3 most of 2010. Most of the best exclusives coming out 2010. So enjoy your day in the sun.

Would you be impressed if the PS3 outsold the X360 by 175k?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
s1lverFoX said:
Seems like even with losing more money per system they only outsold x360 by 60k.

It outsold 360 by 175k (only Americas).

I think it would a good assumption to say that if the XBOX $199 arcade was not out, then PS3 would see higher numbers. That $199 price tag is HUGE for consumers who are very price cautious.

It also seems that MS is trying to do their own fun version of commercials using the woman from Glee which aren't as good as PS commercials imo.

Noobie said:
jarrod said:
Launch aligned comparisons are inherently disingenuous for competitive platforms. You really just can't divorce a platform's performance from the context of what was happening in the market and industry when that actually happened. Launch aligned N64 also slaughtered PS1 it's first 3 years, yet that didn't mean much in the end.

A 360 launching in Q4 2006 would've had an HD-DVD drive, upspecced chips, more RAM and launch games like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Oblivion and Blue Dragon. A PS3 launching in Q4 2006 would've had a DVD drive, no RSX (it'd have used a repurposed low-SPU CELL instead, as was the original plan), probably less RAM and launch games like Ridge Racer 6, COD2, Gun, THAW and (maybe) Genji (1).

If XBOX360 had launched with PS3 with HD DVD, then it would have costed more.. n it wouldn;t have got the benefit of userbase for multiplat games n i think it would have costed MS more to get time exclusivity.. 

I think XBOX reigned one yr without any direct competition.. n its a common thing that when there is no competition u benefit more... Moreover XBOX would not have gained much in terms of cost reduction cuz XBOX was already using simple DDR2 RAM, Power Processor which was not much different from already released Power PCs so the cost was already quite low... many ppl bough XBOX cuz their friends were already on it so peer advantage which XBOX had would not have been there if it had launched with PS3..

So in my humble opinion they would have lost much more than gained anything... 

360 getting heldback a year probably wouldn't have altered the spec too much, you're right... it'd probably have just meant faster clocked chips, maybe a bigger framebuffer (say 16MB rather than 10MB) and a little more overall RAM (say 640-768MB).  The biggest expense would've been the HD-DVD upgrade, but then the cost of that would be mitigated by an extra year of waiting out the chipset costs... I think it could've launched at the same upper pricepoint (ie: $399 Pro).  Toshiba likely would've subsidized the drive cost even, I'm sure now they wished they'd pushed harder.

Also, 360's userbase isn't really why it's become the defacto base for multiplatform games, it's Microsoft's amazing tools and the chipset's general ease of use.  All of which would've been massively improved upfront if they'd had an extra year to ramp up.  Not to mention XBL, which has really been the platform's selling point among the core gamer community imo.

And let's not beat around the bush, 360 certainly had "direct competition" in 2005/2006.

dbot said:
jarrod said:
Launch aligned comparisons are inherently disingenuous for competitive platforms. You really just can't divorce a platform's performance from the context of what was happening in the market and industry when that actually happened. Launch aligned N64 also slaughtered PS1 it's first 3 years, yet that didn't mean much in the end.

A 360 launching in Q4 2006 would've had an HD-DVD drive, upspecced chips, more RAM and launch games like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Oblivion and Blue Dragon. A PS3 launching in Q4 2006 would've had a DVD drive, no RSX (it'd have used a repurposed low-SPU CELL instead, as was the original plan), probably less RAM and launch games like Ridge Racer 6, COD2, Gun, THAW and (maybe) Genji (1).

I tend to agree.  I think what you are saying is all sales prior to the PS3/Wii world wide launches should not be considered at all.  We should disregard all 360 sales prior to this date since there really wasn't a competitive environment.  The PS3 launch in Europe would probably be the best starting date for world wide sales comparisons. 

Sales Data (3/18/2007 - Present)

PS3 24,982,660

X360 24,565,947

Work for you?

I think this is a way better metric to look at.  Though you'd still have EU PS3 launch in there artificially pushing it ahead, it'd probably be better to start from June 2007 or something.

Around the Network
Ryusuken said:
jarrod said:

Supositions. NO one is sure/can be sure of how the specs whould be different (for a fact MS wasnt into the HD format wars, it was more trying to offer somethingthey knew Sony had on PS3 and X360 didnt - it even gone BD as soon as the war was over) and the rest is just that as well. Thats the only problem with launch aligned numbers IMO, the what if what nots it comes with, so that aside, I think its a valid point, if done in way to really compare how things gone at each period of time. You'll have to put market enviroment there, how the trends where at the time and so on, and that why I try to not use it, its too troublesome to do it right, and I am lazy as hell to do such things.

Well, that's sort of the point... launch aligned comparisons lead directly into conjecture and what ifs.  It's better to look at the real world, which means launch aligning is useless to begin with.

Paperdiego said:
CGI-Quality said:
PS3

US - 400,000

US - 325,000

O.o

i think Wii should be added into this seeing how it is a competitor too.

Wii

US - 800,000

PS3 

US - 400,000

US - 325,000

Still, Wii is not HD console competitor..seriously...I can't consider it anyhow...

At this rate with the adjustments soon the PS3 will have outsold the Wii for BF week.

:P

PS3 - 500k

wow

wow. now the predictions are for 500k??. just in america??!!. thats like awesome for the ps3 right??.