By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Graphs -- What happened to Align Launches

omgwtfbbq said:
great, the align launches checkbox was a pain in the arse because too many people used in in inappropriate and meaningless ways (PS3 and Xbox360 have same figures when you align launches!)

I hardly think it's inappropriate and meaningless. In fact there has been at least one intelligent and well discussed thread on the topic ( http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=6399 ).

I'd be interested in knowing why exactly it is meaningless and inappropriate if you would be so kind as to elaborate. 

Around the Network

I like the graphs on this site a lot, its part of what made me start going here. And I like aligning the launches to see how each console is doing as if they were all released at the same time. Its nice to know that it will be coming back though!

PC Gamer

I just noticed that option was missing. I hope it comes back.

I get an orange screen with an error message when I got to that "Hardware Sales From Launch" link.

So "Align launches" won't be available as just a button like "Cumulative sales" anymore? That's a bummer.

---

-I think the graphs are too hard to find. There should be a section called "Graphs" or "Charts" at the top. That makes more sense than going to "World" and then "Compare Consoles"...

-What about graphs that give a number for each console in terms of percentage, both cumulative and weekly?

-Will there ever be Software Comparison Charts to go along with the hardware charts?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Oh, I never knew that.
Perhaps Graphs or Charts would be a better name?
Analysis could be mistaken for interpretation of the data, like editorials or something.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Regarding my second point:
"What about graphs that give a number for each console in terms of percentage, both cumulative and weekly?"

Is there any hope for a "Display as Percentage" button?

Also, the Others Weekly section doesn't give hardware +/- percentage from the previous week, while America and Japan Weekly do.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

ioi said:
Marketshare?

Yes!

Please add that feature at some point, that would be awesome, and probably not very difficult as it just requires some simple math with existing numbers.

@ioi

Thanks for the update!
I wish I knew more about web design/posting to be of help.
But alas, I use a template for the organizational webpage where I am webmaster.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV