By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which 3rd party company is the big winner this gen?

I'd say the best third party this gen so far, is definitely EA, I mean, they've published some quality games (Albiet it alot are sports and I hate sports games), but I mean, Dead Space and Dragon Age: Origins are two of my favourite games this gen, and EA published 'em... they've been getting very good as of late, keep it up!

Around the Network

Activision found their cash cow in MW 2

Epic, hands-down. The increased need to use midware, combined with their Unreal 3 engine, has done wonders for their bottom line.

gansito said:
Activision found their cash cow in MW 2

I'm pretty sure that MW1 made a lot more profit. 

jbrist said:
I'd say the best third party this gen so far, is definitely EA, I mean, they've published some quality games (Albiet it alot are sports and I hate sports games), but I mean, Dead Space and Dragon Age: Origins are two of my favourite games this gen, and EA published 'em... they've been getting very good as of late, keep it up!

For every good game EA publish they release at least 5 crappy ones. Dont play a lot of EA games because they look some random so I cant comment on stuff like Dead Space and Dragon Age. Ive played a bit of Rock Band and I hate it compared to Guitar Hero. They seemed to 'get it' when they made E Sports Active and you can kind of say Left 4 Dead is one of theirs as well. And most of there sports games are pretty good (again not played them myself)

But then you get the Harry Potter games (the 6th is awful), spin-off of popular franchises like TheSims, instalments in popular series which flop (Need for Speed). Thats just a few examples i can think of. IMO they release too many games, they need to focus on making the good ones brilliant and scraping the crap ones.

Around the Network

Blizzard.

Not EA

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

SecondWar said:
jbrist said:

For every good game EA publish they release at least 5 crappy ones. Dont play a lot of EA games because they look some random so I cant comment on stuff like Dead Space and Dragon Age. Ive played a bit of Rock Band and I hate it compared to Guitar Hero. They seemed to 'get it' when they made E Sports Active and you can kind of say Left 4 Dead is one of theirs as well. And most of there sports games are pretty good (again not played them myself)

But then you get the Harry Potter games (the 6th is awful), spin-off of popular franchises like TheSims, instalments in popular series which flop (Need for Speed). Thats just a few examples i can think of. IMO they release too many games, they need to focus on making the good ones brilliant and scraping the crap ones.

Ea had some quality games but games like Dead Space didn't sell as much as they wanted to. Their final numbers may have been ok but in under a year you could find Deadspace in the $20 bargain bin to get those numbers. Dragon Age, they had to purchase an expensive developer just to get that game. So they made some quality games but those actually havent helped them much this gen. The Awful Harry Potter games probably bring them more profit. 

MontanaHatchet said:
It's Ubisoft.

A lot of people will say Activision become they've grown a lot as a company, but so has Ubisoft. And unlike Activision, Ubisoft actually understands the market. While little ol' Activision repeats the same mistakes that led to EA's declines (but making EA look tame by comparison), Ubisoft continues to focus their efforts on the Wii and DS, producing casual games that give them pure profit. And with surefire hits like Tom Clancy and Assassin's Creed on the HD consoles, they incur few losses on games.

I may not always like Ubisoft, but they get it, and they're the big winner this gen.

When Activision had the biggest video game luanch you have to think that they understands somewhat of the maket... dont you think? Im sure mw and mw2 made profit.

Capcom easily wins for both retail and downloadble games.

Take 2 will have a great year next year with the likes of RDR and Mafia II.