By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - RE4 Wii ships 1 million!

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Understand this: RE5 is being made with the 360 and PS3 in mind and is being optimized for systems without any consideration for the Wii."

Wow. That NEVER happens with exclusive games.[/extreme sarcasm]
=====

Wow, how can I argue with that argument. You sir are a master debate, have you tried out for your school debate team?

"If you want to keep anything even near the same gameplay experience, the graphics are going to have to be dumbed down something close to a PS1 game"

You do NOT know the scale of what RE5 will be. So that claim is a lie. And I don't have to prove the scale is smaller, since I'm not making a claim. I'm just pointing out yours is false, since the game isn't out yet.
=====

You're right, I don't know the scale of what RE5 will be but I do know that Capcom will be pushing the 360 and PS3 as hard as they can.

"Just because it's the Wii and they're familiar with the systems doesn't mean that it's going to be easy to port the game. Even if you have an engine that works with the Wii, PS3, and 360 there still are problems with playing one thing on one system and then trying it on another(even if it's just a box room room with some test actors). They are going to have to retest the whole game and fix all of the random little bugs that will pop up. This isn't particularly hard but it is very time consuming."

I didn't claim it would be easy or simple. You are the one claiming it's hard. The above things OF COURSE have to be done. It's the scale of how it is that you cannot prove, since again, you DON'T KNOW what RE5 will actually be like.
=====

In order to make the game for the Wii, they would have to do the following:

• New control scheme-- requires game designers and programmers
  • New HUD/Menu interface-- programmers
  • Asses the difficulty with the new control scheme-- game designers
  • Scale down every texture-- requires artists to remake every texture
  • Scale down every model-- requires artists to remake and unwrap every model again
  • Loss of things like cloth tech and other next gen features-- programming and some art to make up for the lost feature
  • Lighting-- This one is a guess, but artist or level designers will have to rethink any dynamic lights and just how important they are.
  • Enemies on screen-- We've already seen videos of many enemies on screen, more than RE4. The Wii won't be able to handle all those enemies and encounters will have to be changed involving game and level designers.
  • AI-- requires programmers and a good amount of work.
  • Engine-- I know the engine is already made to work for the Wii but that doesn't mean it would be a seamless port to the Wii so that means more programmers.
  • Play space-- I don't know for absolute sure that the play space is too big for the Wii, but once again I know that Capcom will push the 360 and PS3 so it's a safe assumption that the spaces will be too big for the Wii. Rethinking that will require game and level designers.
  • Scale down character models-- requires artist
If you look at that list you will notice it is a huge list, much larger of a list than any simple port. That list requires a full team, large amount of time, and a large amount of money.

I'm not even going to refute the rest. It's all based on this lie that you somehow know that RE5 will be too massive a scale for the Wii. You don't know that, so your claims of how hard, expensive, and time consuming, are a lie.

You keep saying lie like I'm maliciously trying to deceive everyone here. This site is all about the guessing game and that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm looking at the facts and what I know what goes into making a game and making a guess just like everyone else. I know that a studio like Capcom will do everything they can to push the limits on the PS3 and 360 and that means the game is in fact too massive a scale for the Wii.

Also, I do also know things I cannot talk about. For instance, I have good reason to believe that Halo DS will come true because I know some things about the DS and other things about other things and I know a few things about ports I can't completely talk about. I know it sounds like a cop out, but whatever, believe me or not, it doesn't change the fact I know what I know.

Oh, there is one more thing I'm refuting: the cost. You claim remaking for the Wii will be more than a few million dollars, and that I'm delusional for thinking it will be just that. Well DEVELOPERS HAVE SAID WII GAMES COST JUST THAT MUCH.

So you are the delusional one, since you are basing your claims based on the opposite of the facts. The Wii does have lesser graphics, which I have not denied, but that also means the cost will be far less. This doesn't magically change just because an HD game is downgraded to SD. In fact, it should be reinforced.

Even if this port never happens, it will not be because of cost, since the rules of game design make it clear the cost of a port cannot be as high as you claim.

Wii games cost exactly what the developers put into it. As stated above, porting RE5 to the Wii would require a large amount of work and effort meaning a very high cost. A moderate budget game last gen costs about 7-8 million dollars, not just a few million. That's a large investment for a game that will be out years later and will be inferior in every way except the control scheme.

Also, just because the Wii isn't as powerful doesn't mean there's any less effort put into the game. Wii games, just like PS3 and 360, cost a lot of time and money to make.

Yes, ports generally don't cost as much as new games, but as I said, this wouldn't be a port as much as a complete remake. That's like saying a complete remake of FFVII for the PS3 would be cheap.

I just have to add this. You seem to think using the RE4 engine will not reduce the time, work and money. It seems you have no idea what the purpose of using a game engine is.

This is the definition from the wikipedia page for "game engine":
"Game engines provide a suite of visual development tools in addition to reusable software components. These tools are generally provided in an integrated development environment to enable simplified, rapid development of games in a data-driven manner. These games engines are sometimes called "game middleware" because, as with the business sense of the term, they provide a flexible and reusable software platform which provides all the core functionality needed, right out of the box, to develop a game application while reducing costs, complexities, and time-to-market—all critical factors in the highly competitive video game industry."

In other words, using the RE4 engine ELIMINATES most of the cost and work you claim would be there.

No, just no. It really doesn't work like that. If you think it does, take a Quake 4 map and try to import it into Quake 3.

Just stop talking about what you know absolutely nothing about. I know you think you're awesome because you have a crappy web comic that you think is the shit (we all did at one point) but you're not nearly as good as you think you are.

@twesterm:

Man, you must have some furious hatred for Cruis'n boiling away deep within your psyche. There must be some repressed childhood memory you have of Cruis'n fiendishly desecrating all that you hold dear.

That game is just a great example of what lazy looks like. Do some searching around for Cruis'n screens and you'll see what I mean.

@ClaudeLv250

Those screens are impressive and better than I thought, but it's still a mobile game and I'll wait to reserve judgment for when I see it in action. I still have this funny feeling it's going to be crap (just pretty crap).

Around the Network

@twesterm:

My comments were only in jest. I half-expected you to throw out a "CRUIS'N = TEH ANTICHRIST" thread after the bashing. :)

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/07/resident-evil-5-wii-clearer-info-on.html
http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/resident-evil-5-wii-capcom-basically.html

no RE5 for wii eh ?

RE4 sales is a sign from god for capcom to make it exclusive. And we all know capcom :). What they did with Capcom 5 can happen again capcom arnt idiots i wont be suprised if SF4 and RE5 and the next mega man are all wii exlusives

ahh, like all threads this one has just turned into a massive argument :P How i love these forums lol.

"No, just no. It really doesn't work like that. If you think it does, take a Quake 4 map and try to import it into Quake 3."

Quake 3 and 4 are games made from those engines, not the engines themselves. And the level editing features are not indicative of what en engine can do.
=====

In order to make the game for the Wii, they would have to do the following:

* New control scheme-- requires game designers and programmers
* New HUD/Menu interface-- programmers
* Asses the difficulty with the new control scheme-- game designers

You're kidding. Capcom made it clear RE5 uses the SAME control scheme as RE4 (source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142140&did=1). Didn't you know that? Just because the game isn't the same doesn't mean the work magically has to be done ALL OVER AGAIN, which is what you are basically implying here. Even a few new kinks would just mean a fraction of the workload you are claiming.
=====

* Scale down every texture-- requires artists to remake every texture
* Scale down every model-- requires artists to remake and unwrap every model again

Engines do half that work already. Just because you don't believe me doesn't make the work as hard as you claim.
=====

* Loss of things like cloth tech and other next gen features-- programming and some art to make up for the lost feature

Those would be reduced, not lost, as cloth and teeth are in 6th gen systems, so they would certainly be in a Wii game.
=====

* Lighting-- This one is a guess, but artist or level designers will have to rethink any dynamic lights and just how important they are.

You think the Wii can't do dynamic lighting? Last I checked, developers told us it could. I do know Capcom said daylight vs shade would be part of the gameplay. But that doesn't mean the Wii couldn't handle it. They could just do the same thing Halo 3 did, drop the resolution a small bit.
=====

* Enemies on screen-- We've already seen videos of many enemies on screen, more than RE4. The Wii won't be able to handle all those enemies and encounters will have to be changed involving game and level designers.

The Wii is STRONGER than the Gamecube. That would mean graphics at the same level of the GC version (if it came to that), COULD handle that many, as memory and resources would be freed up to handle the extra models and AI.
=====

* AI-- requires programmers and a good amount of work.

AI is AI. You don't have to do it over again, just because a system has less power. You simply reduce as needed, or allocate resources to make the same amount fit (see point above).
=====

* Engine-- I know the engine is already made to work for the Wii but that doesn't mean it would be a seamless port to the Wii so that means more programmers.

I didn't "seamless", or synonym of it. You think that somehow this port has to be seamless, when that has NEVER been the purpose of ports? That may be a goal for some developers, but that is not the general purpose of a port.
=====

* Play space-- I don't know for absolute sure that the play space is too big for the Wii, but once again I know that Capcom will push the 360 and PS3 so it's a safe assumption that the spaces will be too big for the Wii. Rethinking that will require game and level designers.

Do you mean disc size or memory? If the former, it certainly can, since the Wii uses full DVD9. If the latter, then well I already discuss that in the other points.
=====

* Scale down character models-- requires artist

Even if they remake it from scratch (unlikely, since the engine does half the work), the HD versions cost MORE than it would be for the Wii. That's what you don't seem to get.
=====

If you look at that list you will notice it is a huge list, much larger of a list than any simple port. That list requires a full team, large amount of time, and a large amount of money.

Did I claim this would be a "simple" port? I did NOT. A simple port would be on a system of equal or greater power. I know they would have to do more work. You just seem to think that remaking from HD to SD magically makes it more work than nearly every downgraded port before.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
MeowTheMouse said:
http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/07/resident-evil-5-wii-clearer-info-on.html
http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/resident-evil-5-wii-capcom-basically.html

no RE5 for wii eh ?

RE4 sales is a sign from god for capcom to make it exclusive. And we all know capcom :). What they did with Capcom 5 can happen again capcom arnt idiots i wont be suprised if SF4 and RE5 and the next mega man are all wii exlusives

From link one: "(it is much easier to convert High-Res textures to Low-Res Textures than Low-Res to High-Res)"

See how ignorant twestern is, when he seems to think it would be prohibitively expensive to do?

From link two: "We are 100% completely out of appropriate development resources to do additional projects in the near term beyond what's currently in the pipeline."

Translation: We are already busy with current projects, so anything new will have to wait. Makes sense to me. They simply have to finish other projects first.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Ugh, so many quotes and too tired to deal with so many quotes so just lumping everything into one.

1) Level editing features are indicative of what the engine can do actually. In a game like Quake 4 (not so sure about Quake 3 as I haven't used that version of Radiant much) it uses just about everything whatever version of Radiant it uses can do. There are a few Doom 3 features it doesn't use but all in all, it shows off what the engine can do. The point of releasing a game with an engine is to show off just what the engine can do so people will want to buy it or even lease it.

Anyways, my point is that Capcom has more than likely updated their engine from the one used from RE4 and simply putting RE5 into the RE4 engine would not work.

2) I do assume that RE5:Wii would use the same control scheme as RE4:Wii with minor adjustments. The RE4:Wii control scheme was great but not perfect and RE5 may in fact have new features that weren't in RE4. Even small adjustments to control schemes take a good deal of time to implement and test.

As for assessing the difficulty, there is a difference between the two control schemes and having the Wii controls makes it much easier. I don't believe that they adjusted the difficulty for RE4:Wii because they didn't expect it to do as well as it did. With RE5:Wii, they would know it would probably do better and it would be worth it to look into addressing the difficulty.

3) Engines can scale textures but they cannot scale models. The thing is though those textures they have are not meant to be scaled and who knows how good they look when they are scaled (probably bad). Chances are, a good majority of them would have to be remade.

As for an engine scaling models (as in poly's, not model size), please show me an engine that does that.

4) I know the Wii can do dynamic lighting, but it is expensive on any system. There are already many things in RE5 that would push the Wii hardware beyond its limits and dynamic lighting would just be another thing.

5) Just like dynamic lighting, things like cloth tech are VERY expensive and the Wii can't handle it and still have a decent amount of things on screen. Cloth tech probably isn't something too important, but if you compare not having it and having it (which people would do) it would be noticed. With a game like Guitar Hero or Madden, people can forgive graphical differences but it would be much harder with a game like RE5 that is all about the mood.

6) Remember, you're not talking to some Wii hating Sony fanboy, I love the Wii and think it is an incredible system so I do in fact know it is stronger than the GC. That said, it can only do so much and have so much on screen at a time. It can't handle the number of enemies and do their AI for the amount of enemies on screen that RE5 has.

7) By play space I mean the level. These levels are so big with so many objects in them and they are built for the 360/PS3. The developers keep placing things, effects, lighting, and whatever else they can so they can get as much as possible without hurting framerate. Also, from what I've seen there are A LOT of open spaces in this game and that just makes even more of a problem. The Wii simply cannot handle these spaces that were optimized for the 360/PS3 and they would have to be redesigned so they could do vis and the mood and immersion would be affected because you just can't have as many things.

With RE4 at least it was in the woods and draw distances weren't a problem, it could be more of a problem with RE5.

8) When I say scale down models I really don't know what you mean by the engines do half the work. I really don't think you don't know what you're talking about. Engines are not some magical thing that automagically make everything work for the given system. They cannot scale down model size.

Luckily, it's not hard to scale down a model but textures would have to be redone and the models would have to be unwrapped again. You would just scale down the texture but with something as important as character models that just wouldn't be an option.

9) I don't think going from HD to SD is going to make that hard, actually, I never even mentioned HD and SD because it really doesn't matter. What matters is that the 360 and PS3 have so much power and the Wii has so much power. There are only so many things all three machines can do at once and the Wii cannot compete with those systems. Once again, don't take this as a knock on the Wii because it isn't, it's just simple fact.

10) I've seen those interviews and I know what they said. Just because someone says something could happen or some option hasn't been ruled out doesn't mean it's going to happen. One of the dumbest things you can do is back yourself in a corner and take away your options and they are just leaving doors open. If for some reason, as unlikely as it is, they every do decide to completely remake RE5 for the Wii, they don't have to go back on their word.

I'm not saying RE5 can't happen, I'm just saying it's not worth the money. The money spent making RE5: Wii would be comparable to a completely original product. It just makes more sense to make a new game for the Wii that wouldn't be seen as the inferior version in every way except for the control scheme.

Oh, and as for calling me ignorant because Capcom's resources are %100 tapped and that's why they aren't making the port, again, no. That just means they don't have the manpower at the moment to make another game, not we aren't making a port because we don't have manpower.

The gaming industry is about money and nothing else. RE4: Wii was worth it because it was an easy port (relative) and it was the definitive version. It had the GC art, the PS2 bonus content, widescreen support, and an amazing control scheme. In that case it was worth it to pay $30 for a two year old game. With RE5: Wii, it could have bonus content and the better control scheme, but everything else would be inferior along with it releasing at least two years later. It just isn't worth the money.

Also for all you people screaming we must have RE5:Wii!!!! remember that not every game has to be on every system. RE4:Wii may have had a brilliant control scheme but Capcom decided to make RE5 for the 360/PS3 and that's just how it is. All that proves is that it would actually be more than two years before we see RE5:Wii.

All assumptions based on no actual information about the game. Furthermore, you are still assuming downgrading from HD to SD will be expensive and hard work, despite the opposite being pointed out by developers.

LordTheNightKnight said:
All assumptions based on no actual information about the game. Furthermore, you are still assuming downgrading from HD to SD will be expensive and hard work, despite the opposite being pointed out by developers.

twesterm said:
9) I don't think going from HD to SD is going to make that hard, actually, I never even mentioned HD and SD because it really doesn't matter. What matters is that the 360 and PS3 have so much power and the Wii has so much power. There are only so many things all three machines can do at once and the Wii cannot compete with those systems. Once again, don't take this as a knock on the Wii because it isn't, it's just simple fact.

Well at least now I know you don't actually read the post and that could be the cause for some of your thinking.

I wrote "expensive and hard work", the former you still seem to insist.

And the fact that the PS3 and 360 are HD, and the Wii is SD is relevant to the point, since that relates to the general power of the systems to each other.

Plus we know the Wii has so much power. It's the MONEY AND WORK thing that I'm calling you out on.