By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Ten Games of the Decade

Khuutra said:
Boutros said:

I, myself, consider that yes, the opinions of the majority is objective.

What would be objective then? Nothing would be objective.

What would be the point of acknowledging the word subjective if you don't acknowledge the word objective?

You are wrong.

In the case of the arts, the only way you can apply "objective" to the majority opinion is that saying that the opinion of the majority, objectively speaking, is this. Now, you would need to make a formal poll and tally the answers and go through all that nice bit of screening and sampling to make sure your sample is representative of the population. Then you could say, "Objectively, the opinion of the majority is this:"

But that is only the fact of the opinion that is objective, which is say that you can objectively say their opinion is [blank]. The opinion itself is still subjective, not objective.

There is no objectivity when it comes to determining the merits of art.

You and I think alike.

GET OUT OF MY HEADDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

2000 - Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
2001 - Grand Theft Auto 3
2002 - Metroid Prime
2003 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004 - Half Life 2
2005 - Resident Evil 4
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2008 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Theives

Boutros said:

Why would I be wrong? You are as wrong as I am lol

And I didn't say that gathering together a lot of opinions makes them objective. I said it makes them more objective as a whole.

My objective/subjective meter:

Subjective |1 opinion----------------2 opinions---------------------------------100 opinions-----------------------------1000 opinions-------------| Objective

But it will never reach the perfect objectivity.

That's how I see it.

Yes, but you're wrong, because a collection of subjective opinions does not make them objective, it just makes the statement of the fact of those opinions objective, but if that's the case then the statement of any opinions is objctive, i.e. "my game of 2006 is Wii Sports" is an objective statement about my own opinions, but my opinions are still subjective.

No, I am not wrong in this case, it's a simple fact of the necessary difference between subjectivity and objectivity.

vlad321 said:

Can we just get back to listing games so I can laugh at people who have horrible, inferior, and simple tastes? kthxbai

There is nothing wrong with any of the opinions being expressed here.

Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:

Can we just get back to listing games so I can laugh at people who have horrible, inferior, and simple tastes? kthxbai

I think you missed my subtle point, but alright.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Twizzler said:
Boutros said:
Twizzler said:
Boutros said:
Some of you are totally not objective rofl

That's because choosing a list of the best games of the decade, which is based on opinion, is supposed to be completely subjective.  You can not have an objective "Top ten games of the decade", it's a complete impossibility.

I know that but what I mean with objective is what the majority of people would say.

For instance, there's no freaking way that Dead Space: Extraction is GOTY 2009 rofl

Being more objective, one would say either NSMBWii, Uncharted 2 or Modern Warfare 2.

Now that would be more objective.

An objective observation would be if you measured the height of 1000 gamers on this site with a ruler, found the mode value of the data and then stated, "You're most likely to be "x" tall if you are in this group of vgchartzers"  Etc. etc.

Taking a poll of 1000 gamers different subjective responses for their best game of each year does not allow you to make an objective assessment of the best game of each year, it does however allow you to report the most agreed upon "best game" in an objective manner however.

But that's what I've been saying all along...

Ok, we're getting into semantics here, but my major point is this, if 1000 out of 1000 gamers said "Half-life 2 is the best game of all time", then you could state that Half-Life 2 is the best game of all time, but that statement is still subjective.  However, if this was assessed using a poll or other means where you accumulate data, then your methods are objective.

In an example of what I mean, but in the other direction, if I measured 1000 gamers with a ruler, which is an objective measurement, but then stated that being 5'11" is the most popular height, then I'm making a subjective analysis from objective results.    Polling gamers would simply be an objective measurement of a subjective response. 

I work with objective and subjective measurements every freakin' day. I've had this shit hammered into me.

vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:

I think you missed my subtle point, but alright.

....Oh I gotcha. Nevermind me, then

Khuutra said:
Boutros said:

Why would I be wrong? You are as wrong as I am lol

And I didn't say that gathering together a lot of opinions makes them objective. I said it makes them more objective as a whole.

My objective/subjective meter:

Subjective |1 opinion----------------2 opinions---------------------------------100 opinions-----------------------------1000 opinions-------------| Objective

But it will never reach the perfect objectivity.

That's how I see it.

Yes, but you're wrong, because a collection of subjective opinions does not make them objective, it just makes the statement of the fact of those opinions objective, but if that's the case then the statement of any opinions is objctive, i.e. "my game of 2006 is Wii Sports" is an objective statement about my own opinions, but my opinions are still subjective.

No, I am not wrong in this case, it's a simple fact of the necessary difference between subjectivity and objectivity.

But the thing is that I agree with pretty much everything you've said but when I read your posts, I don't see what makes the things I've said wrong.

Tell me, what would you do if someone (from a prestigious webiste or magazine) asks you to make a top 10 Wii games?

Would you base this top 10 on your opinion alone?

Boutros said:

But the thing is that I agree with pretty much everything you've said but when I read your posts, I don't see what makes the things I've said wrong.

Tell me, what would you do if someone (from a prestigious webiste or magazine) asks you to make a top 10 Wii games?

Yes. Yes I would.

Khuutra said:
Boutros said:

Yes. Yes I would.

Ok lol.

Well I wouldn't. I would try to make it so that it would represent the majority of people's opinion.

That's the difference between the way I think and the way you think I guess.