By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Natal will put 360 on top for the rest of the generation

jarrod said:

RE5's the only 3rd party game in that list.  Also the only retail game iirc.

Grand Slam Tennis was also (unofficially) announced btw.

id take 1st party over 3rd any day, Sony cares about their wand and will push quality software for it.  3rd partys might just throw shovelware at natal like they did for the wii.

Retail or not does not matter, just add a coupon for a free psn game with the wand and probelm solved.

Around the Network
papflesje said:
selnor said:
papflesje said:
because the ball is how the system works! The PSeye detects the ball, and recognizes how far away it is by its size.

That can easily be replaced by placing several markers on the controller itself. Doesn't need to exactly have a glowing ball on the end of it imho. Let's hope they can make the design slicker than it is now

No it cant. They something prominent and of a easily seeable design. Something that when it moves further away can detect it shrinking in size. The eye on it's own cannot do depth unless it sees a glowing object that changes in size. So they could do Natal, but would have to where a glowing suit.

Hmm, how would "detecting a glowing ball" be the way to go, when detecting the size, distance and movement of (for example) three separate points/slits/circles/whatever on a controller basically gives you the same thing? (what am I missing that means a HUGE dot in front of a controller is required?) :s

It has to be visible from all angles. So a ball on the top for instance is ok, because the eye can see the back and front of it. As well as the sides. If you had some slits on the front and back etc that werent a full sphere it would lose site of it say if you turn the wand 180 degrees. The problem of the whole wand going behind a players back for instance has been countered by incorporating sixaxis into the wand. So when the sphere is out of site it knows where the wand is. But can no longer do depth of field. So a ball on the top is the only reliable option. As the eye will track it better and more often. As I said the only way to do full body motion on Eye is to where a bright glowing suit from head to toe. And we know that is not practical. IR in Natal is used for the depth of field of the player. Because it bounces round the room and even behind a player, that is why it works for full body motion all over the room.

huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
binary solo said:

Do we know the PSWand doesn't have 3rd parties on board? The only 3rd party studio I've read about who mentioned Natal also said they are working on the Wand too. And isn't RE5 made by a 3rd party...which is confirmed as having PSWand functionality? 

Not really.  So far Activision Blizzard, Capcom, THQ, EA, Take 2, Bethesda Softworks, Disney Interactive, Namco Bandai, Konami, Square Enix, Sega, MTV Games, Grasshopper Manufacture and Ubisoft have all committed game support to Project Natal.  Namco, EA and SE (Taito) all had playable E3/TGS demos.  And it's still a year away, with a rumored 14+ launch games at retail.

So far EA and Capcom have committed to PS3 Motion support.  They each announced one game (RE5AE and Grand Slam Tennis) with the demo for the former first showing at TGS.  And it releases in March, with (so far) one retail game and maybe some PSN titles.

Sony haven't even announced who's supporting the wand.

Well, it comes out in just a few months... what are they waiting for exactly?

They don't need to announce who's supporting the wand. No point really. They should let the software at launch do the talking.

Launch is only 4 months away... again, what's everyone waiting for?  Is it going to launch with just RE5Gold?

Ape Escape

Under Siege

Motion Party

RE5: Alternate Edition

LBP Motion

Eyepet

Echochrome 2

Eccentric Soldier

Sing and Draw

Champions of Time

The Shoot

Tower

PAIN!

Flower

Hustle Kings

High Velocity Bowling

Those are what are announced. I might've missed a few. I'll see gameplay before I judge.

So let me get this straight.... Natal can't possibly have 14 games and all these supporting devs with games ready by Fall 2010 (about 14-18 months after receiving the dev kits), yet the PS3 Wan is supposed to have all these games ready for launch after just 8-12 months??  Or are these just brief rumor/announced games and none have been claimed to be launch titles yet?

With just a few months till release of PS3 Wand, I think it's a bad sign when nothing has been seen besides RE5 and no solid release dates have been given.  Perhaps the Wand will be delayed to launch at the same time as Natal?

Hus said:

Can natal supporters tell me just something. Natal dev kits went out june1 09 while release is planed for late 2010 right.

Given its new controls that no developers have experience with.

How the hell does any rational person think any dev will be able to create any software worth a damn in such a short time. Hd games take time now add on time to make natal controls work and there's no way any one makes anything remotely good for launch.

Seriously you think a new type of hd game with new controls a freaking aaa title will be make in such a short amount of time.

This is the post I meant to reply to with my last post.  (see above post)

nightsurge said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
binary solo said:

Do we know the PSWand doesn't have 3rd parties on board? The only 3rd party studio I've read about who mentioned Natal also said they are working on the Wand too. And isn't RE5 made by a 3rd party...which is confirmed as having PSWand functionality? 

Not really.  So far Activision Blizzard, Capcom, THQ, EA, Take 2, Bethesda Softworks, Disney Interactive, Namco Bandai, Konami, Square Enix, Sega, MTV Games, Grasshopper Manufacture and Ubisoft have all committed game support to Project Natal.  Namco, EA and SE (Taito) all had playable E3/TGS demos.  And it's still a year away, with a rumored 14+ launch games at retail.

So far EA and Capcom have committed to PS3 Motion support.  They each announced one game (RE5AE and Grand Slam Tennis) with the demo for the former first showing at TGS.  And it releases in March, with (so far) one retail game and maybe some PSN titles.

Sony haven't even announced who's supporting the wand.

Well, it comes out in just a few months... what are they waiting for exactly?

They don't need to announce who's supporting the wand. No point really. They should let the software at launch do the talking.

Launch is only 4 months away... again, what's everyone waiting for?  Is it going to launch with just RE5Gold?

Ape Escape

Under Siege

Motion Party

RE5: Alternate Edition

LBP Motion

Eyepet

Echochrome 2

Eccentric Soldier

Sing and Draw

Champions of Time

The Shoot

Tower

PAIN!

Flower

Hustle Kings

High Velocity Bowling

Those are what are announced. I might've missed a few. I'll see gameplay before I judge.

So let me get this straight.... Natal can't possibly have 14 games and all these supporting devs with games ready by Fall 2010 (about 14-18 months after receiving the dev kits), yet the PS3 Wan is supposed to have all these games ready for launch after just 8-12 months??  Or are these just brief rumor/announced games and none have been claimed to be launch titles yet?

With just a few months till release of PS3 Wand, I think it's a bad sign when nothing has been seen besides RE5 and no solid release dates have been given.  Perhaps the Wand will be delayed to launch at the same time as Natal?

Where did I say that? I clearly stated that if devs are struggling with the Wii, then I can't see how they'll get AAA quality and high selling software right off the bat so easily, given the new design. Mainly the first party games are what will shine. The mentioned games are first and second party games with RE5 being the only exception. Plus, they said they've been working on it for a long time (after all, the wands, if I'm not mistaken, were in the works since the eyetoy days http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/17/sony-motion-control-in-development-since-the-days-of-eyetoy/ ).

Media coverage helps, but is not the deciding factor on success. High quality software and price points are. Must I remind everyone what happened in 2006 with the PS3? So bottom line is, you can't dismiss the wands so quickly, Natal and the spheres are both dependent primarily on software at launch, and the price. Company support means nothing without software announced (PlayStation Home says hi, even though it is getting decent support now).

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Hus said:

Can natal supporters tell me just something. Natal dev kits went out june1 09 while release is planed for late 2010 right.

Given its new controls that no developers have experience with.

How the hell does any rational person think any dev will be able to create any software worth a damn in such a short time. Hd games take time now add on time to make natal controls work and there's no way any one makes anything remotely good for launch.

Seriously you think a new type of hd game with new controls a freaking aaa title will be make in such a short amount of time.

This is the post I meant to reply to with my last post.  (see above post)

Sonys own devs could have had access to wand for god knows how long, we cant say what they have been working on and for how long.

But we do know when MS sent out natal dev kits, and we know given their tiny 1st party in compared to Sonys they are heavly depanding on 3rd party support.

We also know that wand/waggle can be implemented to most games, its more complex with natal. 

^Huaxiong, see above post. I just used that post to refer to the other dude.

nightsurge said:

Ah, ok then. But I said it also because I noticed in previous posts people were downing the wands just based on the E3 reaction, and because they seem to think the 3rd party support speaks larger volumes than first party games, when it's not the case.

The people downing Natal, on the other hand, should realize that Microsoft wouldn't throw away millions on purchasing 3DV if they don't see it as a wise investment.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
nightsurge said:

The people downing Natal, on the other hand, should realize that Microsoft wouldn't throw away millions on purchasing 3DV if they don't see it as a wise investment.

and that some how proves natal will be a run away success, some one spent moeny on it. 

Toyota spent billions on F1 and never even won a single race bud.

Hus said:
huaxiong90 said:
nightsurge said:

and that some how proves natal will be a run away success, some one spent moeny on it. 

Toyota spent billions on F1 and never even won a single race bud.

Are you going to reply to my post, Hus?