By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Valve bringing Portal to Wii

Sadly I might get it again if they port the whole Orange Box =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Naah, I'd rather have a full version of Portal (at least twice as many levels) than the Orange Box.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Way back, Gabe stated that everything in the Orange box could run on the Wii. Albeit with lower graphics etc. He also said that the Wii made the most sense for the game due to controls. So I suspect if portal is being ported, so is the rest of the Orange box and if so... expect CS to be thrown in too.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Hmmm... To get HL2 run on Wii perfectly, they would have to emulate or replace Shaders as the Wii doesn't support them (thus the awful Farcry graphics). Not saying it can't happen, but it would require some effort.

routsounmanman said:
Hmmm... To get HL2 run on Wii perfectly, they would have to emulate or replace Shaders as the Wii doesn't support them (thus the awful Farcry graphics). Not saying it can't happen, but it would require some effort.

The Source engine already has rendering paths for DirectX 7, 8, and 9, so simpler variants of the shaders already exist. The Gamecube and Wii have approximately the same programmability as a DirectX 8 graphics card on the PC, so it shouldn't be much of a graphical downgrade.  The main thing is the resolution.

Around the Network

Portal (More levels) + Team Fortress for the Wii = Success???

I hope so...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
routsounmanman said:

The Wii does support shaders. They are just done through the TEVs. It was not using those that made farcry suck.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight is dead on. Some developers have developed a tool to convert their shader code to run on the Wii's TEVs. Its just a matter of whether the developer wants to do it right or pull a Ubisoft style shovelware port.

It could be done...Portal would work fine on the Wii...better than HL2 or TF2 for sure, as it's a fairly simple game. As long as there's no framerate problems as you whoosh through portals, it could work well.

They could make an additional 20 or so puzzles and sell it for $30, and I'm sure it would do alright.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
It could be done...Portal would work fine on the Wii...better than HL2 or TF2 for sure, as it's a fairly simple game. As long as there's no framerate problems as you whoosh through portals, it could work well.

They could make an additional 20 or so puzzles and sell it for $30, and I'm sure it would do alright.

Yea a framerate issue when going through a portal would suck and destroy timing needed in the game. The game would fit but if they put HL2 on it Nintendo would get complaints like they did about the Zapper. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453