By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony planning paid PSN subscriptions for 2010

its obvious sony needs to be careful how they approach this.

Around the Network
NNN2004 said:
maybe they will charge for Home and Demos .. you know in 360 there is some demos that you cant download it if have silver membership.

Hardly anyone uses Home when it's free. Who's going to pay for it?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

damndl0ser said:
vitoaf27 said:
damndl0ser said:
I seriously don't understand some of you people saying you wouldn't pay to play online. It costs less than 10 cents a day to play on xbox live ( last 13 months costed me 29.99 ). The service is well worth that much money to play! And I am certain the same could be said for PSN if need be. Yes it would suck to have to pay it, but its a good service in the long run and well worth the $.

PSN and Live both cost a lot of money to sustain and make better. So I can understand that Sony wants a new revenue stream coming in. No matter what you think of Microsoft they really have gotten it right with Live. And I feel like paying a small amount of money to continually improve the service is well worth it.

I was thinking about it the other day, and it really is smart what they've done. Don't the offer a free month or two of Live when you purchase an XBOX? So they sell their console for cheap, which is appealing, then offer their excellent service for free, and then when it comes time that they have to purchase Live, two things happen. 1) They enjoy the service so much that they want to continue it. 2) They don't want to go through the trouble of selling their XBOX and buying a PS3[and that is only if they even know that PSN is a free service]. So thus they get the sales and also probably $50 a year for Live.

However, I would never pay to play online, so I will never buy an XBOX.

I don't think anyone was trying to convert you over to buying an xbox, I certainly wasn't.  

I just don't think .10 cents a day or less is a big deal.  Since PSN will allow you to play online for free I am certain they will add a lot of value to the service to make it even more appealing.  Win Win in my opinion.

I never said you tried to do that. I only added that last sentence in there to be semi-on-topic. I was actually complimenting MS...

Everyone go look and see what PSN is now... Everyone is, at the moment, a free user, and everything you're getting now will not change once the premium subscriptions show.. Premiums wont be stealing any features currently available, but, will be getting more stuff. If you choose not to pay, you wont miss out on anything you're not already getting..... The title is very misleading.

what exactly will you be getting for the premium membership. Do we know yet!!!!!

Around the Network

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6240938.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4

Let's make this a bit clearer.

[UPDATE] Kaz Hirai confirms premium level will be added on top of PS3 and PSP's online service, which will remain free to play online; PSN revenue expected to hit $563 million this fiscal year.

Im all for Premium content to users that pay.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut if the online play is included as "Premium" content im not going to be happy lol

can't wait for Track Season 2009/2010, guna beast out!

Travis Touchdown ERECTION CONFIRMED!

all this means is that PS4's PSN will be pay to play ^^^... they are just introducing this to ease the process in 3 years when it goes "live".

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
all this means is that PS4's PSN will be pay to play ^^^... they are just introducing this to ease the process in 3 years when it goes "live".

Please, do share the logic bridge between this article and PS4 having paid PSN.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Hephaestos said:

Please, do share the logic bridge between this article and PS4 having paid PSN.

I don't think there is anything set in stone about the PS4 yet.  But I wouldn't count out having to pay to play online with the PS4.  As a company Sony isn't as foolish as some people may think.  They have seen what Microsoft has done with live and I will guarantee you that they have people studying if it will work for the PS4 or not.

There are expenses that go along with the PSN that some people forget about.  Buying and maintaining servers costs a lot of money, and instead of losing money with PSN I am certain Sony would love to have millions of dollars coming in every month.  It actually makes more since for them if you think about it.  Sadly, Microsoft has proven people will pay for this service.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!