By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Natal Really Is!

Sony and Microsoft people often say things that reveal the tru nature of what thier thinking is only later to retract what they said or we let certain nuggets slide under the rug without paying attention. So I'm gonna put before you an argument not often seen with evidence from there own mouths.

PROJECT NATAL IS A TROJAN HOARSE FOR MICROSOFT JUST LIKE BLU-RAY WAS FOR SONY.

In interviews conducted immediatly after e3 where both sony's wand and project natal were shown 3 things were said but rarelymentioned after that.

1. The sony wand and eye combo uses the internal spu's of the ps3 to do it's processing.

2. Project natal uses it's own custom designed processor for its processing.

3. Developers and journalist are under strict NDA's ( non, disclosure, agreements) about the specifics of natal.

Add to this the rumor that came out of e3 that microsoft would be launching a new system with a cpu with double the processing power and double the memory and things start looking suspicious.

Ask yourself how will Natal connect to the x360 and I bet you say usb of course, well if you are so inclined go read the original x360 spec sheets and learn that it doesn't have a normal usb port instead it has a high speed data port that can communicate dirctly with the cpu+gpu.

The biggest question from journalist and developers coming from e3 was not how much will the sony wand/eye combo cost which is 2 pieces of hardware but how much will natal cost.

The qustion is if natal is simply a playstation eye with different software why were developers of all company's even those notoriously pro sony like hideo kojima fawning all over it when sony had their wand/eye combo right there. They are developers after all they could just develop a similar software....right?

Steve balmer siad it would ber launched as if it were a new system. Why? He called it a new platform. why?
And in"Project Natal provides a groundbreaking new way for games to use natural user motion to interact with the Xbox 360. Experience the future now, with this cutting-edge technology! Join us to learn how to develop world-class titles using Project Natal, which provides many exciting new features that can be challenging to programmers. In the Project Natal Technical track, we will walk you through how to overcome these challenges with a combination of classic techniques and new thinking. We will explore the depths of this exciting technology and dive deep into gesture recognition, avatar retargeting, speech recognition, advanced raw stream processing, handling different player environments, and many other topics. No controller required!"
aly today another nugget was revealed.

The key word to all that was, "advanced raw stream processing" Remember that natal will have its own processor, well if it has it's own processor doenn't it need it's own memory?

Epic reps have let is slip that microsoft will ship all new x360 in 2010 and beyond with natal and sell them cheap in an atempt to get them in as many homes as possible.

Microsoft is great at marketing and this is thier best job yet. Project natal to those that pay attention will be revealed as a mid-generation upgrade to the xbox360.

It will give added processing power through the custom designed cpu and added memory and send it back though the main board by way of
advanced raw stream processing.

Microsoft will pull off the the biggest sneak attack ever. The ps3 wasn't desined to do this, it has normal usb ports, and thy've locked themselves in with a design combo that doesn't add power to the system but takes it away.

So imagine games on the x360/natal platform that look waaaaay better that uncharted2 because of the added cpu and memory of natal while sony's wand/eye combo can't even duplicate the likes of uncharted1 because the combo uses some of the system's spu's to function.

Around the Network

lol...interesting theory. is this just a theory or are you someone on the inside? :) This makes too much sense to be someones brainstorming.

I honestly don't think xbox need any more "power" to compete with ps3, but you are probably right in saying that natal will have its own CPU and memory to compensate for the functions it is designed to do.

Maybe it is part of the Valhalla CGPU project. Smaller board from Valhalla=the poss. of incl. Natal inside the 360. "A new platform..."

I like the idea, and i hope its true (as far as adding extra juice for games); as far as plausibility, i guess we'll have to wait till E3 2010

Either way, lets just hope that it doesnt turn out like the expansion pack for N64 (where like 4 games total used it); if microsoft is serious about extending this generation, i suppose this approach would definitely be a step in the right direction, and give core gamers that may not necessarily be interested in motion technology a reason to pick up natal

An external CPU "upgrade"?... that's kinda laughable.

Natal will need its (high-performance) own processor, and a few megs of memory, yes. It will cost some money, for that reason.

It will not be able to "augment" the 360 outside of the image analysis and abstract input functions, however. Its not a "mid-life upgrade". It's an expensive accessory.  It's greatest value to MS was as a "look, 2009 won't completely suck because 2010 has this thing you think you're going to be able to afford and enjoy" presentation at E3 2009.  

Natal is the "any buzz" part of "Any buzz is good buzz".

Around the Network
brythoma said:
I like the idea, and i hope its true (as far as adding extra juice for games); as far as plausibility, i guess we'll have to wait till E3 2010

Either way, lets just hope that it doesnt turn out like the expansion pack for N64 (where like 4 games total used it); if microsoft is serious about extending this generation, i suppose this approach would definitely be a step in the right direction, and give core gamers that may not necessarily be interested in motion technology a reason to pick up natal

Think about it though.  Adding more RAM and new features as well as future cloud possibilities for larger games makes the 360 last way past the 2012-13 timeframe for the Xbox "Phoenix" launch. 

Surely Natal a way of gaining publicity and headlines to sell the Xbox 360 NOW.
What other function could it possibly have when it's not due out for at least a year.

If you add more ram and increase the power you risk alienating your existing userbase. Not a good idea for MS.

Mistershine said:
If you add more ram and increase the power you risk alienating your existing userbase. Not a good idea for MS.

If more ram and power is tied to Natals functionality...no harm is done to the userbase :)

I seriously doubt Natal will add to the 360's power. Natal will only have the necessary components to process the visual and audio data that the sensors provide. In this way, developers can utilize it just like any other controller and without sacrificing the 360's computing power to do it. Specialized chips like that will not add much to the cost of the device. It will definitely be released at a reasonable price.