By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Microsoft created a handheld...

what is up with all the banning lately. ps3 users getting banned for saying an opinion as a fact and 360 user for joking i mean come on vgchartz ban policy is too delicate in my opinion. i deserved to get banned for swearing but some others don't.

Around the Network

Its called the Zune HD.

No company needs to make a handheld gaming device. In 10 years, we will no longer have dedicated handhelds as we know them, they will be integrated more and more into cell phones.

Look at the iPhone install base for proof - we always argue the DS and PSP sale wars, all the while iPhone and Android install bases are outpacing dedicated handhelds. So it really doesn't behoove MS to make a DS-competitor when they merely need to beef up the ZuneHD and Windows Mobile marketplace.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Its called the Zune HD.

No company needs to make a handheld gaming device. In 10 years, we will no longer have dedicated handhelds as we know them, they will be integrated more and more into cell phones.

Look at the iPhone install base for proof - we always argue the DS and PSP sale wars, all the while iPhone and Android install bases are outpacing dedicated handhelds. So it really doesn't behoove MS to make a DS-competitor when they merely need to beef up the ZuneHD and Windows Mobile marketplace.

There's a thing the DS and the PSP have that the Zune HD, the Droid and the iPhone don't have: controllers...

DS made popular the concept of handheld games with touchscreen, but they keep the regular controls, so the software companies can use one or both, the result: A whole variety of games, and look at the platform, selling a million on Black Friday in their 5th year... The name says it all: "Developer's System" (and Dual-Screen, both are the official terms)...

PSP can have only games controlled traditionaly, and the rest can only have touchscreen games (unless they use multitouch to simulate traditional), so they're covering only one part of the market...

well iam pretty sure that will have better games than the psp.

If they created a hand held i wouldn't buy the first generation until i saw the failure rates.

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:
mrstickball said:
Its called the Zune HD.

There's a thing the DS and the PSP have that the Zune HD, the Droid and the iPhone don't have: controllers...

DS made popular the concept of handheld games with touchscreen, but they keep the regular controls, so the software companies can use one or both, the result: A whole variety of games, and look at the platform, selling a million on Black Friday in their 5th year... The name says it all: "Developer's System" (and Dual-Screen, both are the official terms)...

PSP can have only games controlled traditionaly, and the rest can only have touchscreen games (unless they use multitouch to simulate traditional), so they're covering only one part of the market...

So suddenly games require dedicated controllers to work? Didn't the Wii prove that you could change the input device significantly and still sell games, especially to a new audience? Why do you need a controller to play a game? I mean, my phone doesn't have a controller, but I have no problems playing Chrono Trigger on it.

Don't we argue blue ocean all the time here? Why would it be any surprise that someone quickly one-ups what Nintendo did with the creation of the handheld market? The iPhone/iPod family has sold as fast if not faster than the DS has (60m install base today), and Android is beginning to lap the PSP (1.5 million units sold in November, give or take, 6m units sold in year one and will see 30 million+ next year).

I understand that controllers are good, but the fact is that each generation has poised new control concepts, and many of them have led to new emergences in playability (joysticks, rumble packs, touch screens, montion sensing, ect). Also, for a phone, it would be easy to merely port over a virtual controller - as stated, they've already done that with every emulator on Android (again, I can play Earthbound flawlessly with no keyboard - its even easier with a keyboard).

Its important to think outside the box here. Nintendo did it with the DS and Wii - is it any wonder that someone else can think outside the box and make a great gaming device that no one saw coming?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

THEN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO DIE!

elticker said:
what is up with all the banning lately. ps3 users getting banned for saying an opinion as a fact and 360 user for joking i mean come on vgchartz ban policy is too delicate in my opinion. i deserved to get banned for swearing but some others don't.

i blame Trashleg.

selnor said:

They dont need to.  Zune HD is using Nvidias Tegra chip for graphics solution. Which everyone knows is the best graphics chip for on the move devices. When they demoed it, people were blown away.

are you sure people were blown away with that demo or the Specs? because the game demos were nothing special but the specs on paper sounded beast. but it turns out its just microsoft's Iphone

It would be pointless for MS to make a handheld geared fully towards gaming, PSP and DS are great and all, but that would leave MS in a position to innovate futher, so theres no point since they have like everyone else said pretty much, ZUNE HD, however if they had a handheld geared towards games like PSP and DS, they'd steal alot of grade A exclusives from both PSP and DS if they wanted to put risk on it.

but since thats not the case Zune HD is just fine.