By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 launch in germany

Mnementh said: As I said in the other thread (about the european launch) I was at my local MediaMarkt here in Potsdam at Friday afternoon. There was a pile of Playstation 3. Today (monday) I was there again, and thee pile had only the half of his original height. I guess there are now 30 Playstation3 left, so it seems it were 60 at the beginning. So at least 30 of at least 60 units were sold. But I dont know, how many got sold on friday morning or at the midnight, and if the pile was refilled after some selling. So probably more units got sold.
There really is no way to know how many of those systems were actually sold though ... Hypothetically speaking, many of those units could have been shipped to other store locations (to restock) or to a warehouse (for storage) and may not have been sold; if pre-ordered systems were not picked up on the weekend they may have put them in the back until someone comes to claim their system. They systems could have even been moved for safety, to recapture floor space, or even for astetics. I'm not saying they weren't sold, but you can't assume any systems were sold because a pile seemed smaller ...

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: Hypothetically speaking, many of those units could have been shipped to other store locations (to restock) or to a warehouse (for storage) and may not have been sold; if pre-ordered systems were not picked up on the weekend they may have put them in the back until someone comes to claim their system. They systems could have even been moved for safety, to recapture floor space, or even for astetics. I'm not saying they weren't sold, but you can't assume any systems were sold because a pile seemed smaller ...
I think this is an instance of paranoid personality disorder... Man, you are going too far. I think for you a "hijack by an alien civilization" is a more likely option than sale when you are talking about PS3

kber81 said: I think this is an instance of paranoid personality disorder... Man, you are going too far. I think a "hijack by an alien civilization" is a more likely option than sale when you are talking about PS3
It's not paranoia it is how retail works ... A store manager may end up moving "pre-ordered" consoles that haven't been picked up to the back to ensure that they are not sold, stolen or damaged before someone can come pick it up. At the same time, if one of your stores has no stock and another has 60 units sitting in a pile it is plausable that you may transfer some of the stock from one store to another. On top of all of that if you have 60 PS3 systems in a pile you have (roughly) $40,000 worth of stock which could be damaged if a kid runs into it; maybe you don't know but loss prevention is huge in retail.

more BS like this. same way it floped in UK lol.

Obviously the PS3 has not sold out. For more details we just have to wait until sony releases official numbers.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

Hus said: more BS like this. same way it floped in UK lol.
Don't be so sure! The PS-3 was pretty overhyped. There were some people ready to pay any price, but the general pugblic won't even think about the PS-3. At the moment it is mainly sold as a BluRay Player. In fact the playing units (Ridge Racer 7) had a very high fluctuation and most of the players were not impressed. If I would have to bet I would say the Wii w3ill be the winner of this year. The Xbox will wake up once its price has reached the 250 at most 300 Euro everything higher wonh't get the awareness that some people expect. In fact I get the strong iompression that the Wii might get an even bigger role. It is far cheaper to develop for it, so new ideas will probably be tried on the Wii. Xbox 360 and PS-3 will probably stay closely connected to the PC. They might get a share of the sales becau8se the PCs are more or less the strongest gaming plattform in Germany. The PS-3 has already lost its universal appeal that the PS-2 had.It's most impressive titles were not the games with the best graphic. If 3rd party producers will use the Wii for this purpose the PS-3 IS LOST. And the signs point exactly in this direction. Especially the current loss of exclusive titles.

Personally I don't think it really matters what happens during the launch. It's what happens in the weeks following that counts. The NA and Japan launches were sellouts. And if you judged by the people waiting in line and the madness that ensued, you might have predicted that the PS3 would be a smashing success. But the aftermath didn't quite turn out that way.

I don't trust these reports, they said the UK launch sucked, also with the French launch and they actually sold a nice ammount of units. Some of you saying "X store has 20 units!", do you know how many did they get? Most of the stores say they got over 100 and big ones even more, in the worst case, 80 could have been sold which is pretty good.

Kamahl said: Some of you saying "X store has 20 units!", do you know how many did they get? Most of the stores say they got over 100 and big ones even more, in the worst case, 80 could have been sold which is pretty good.
According to heise (who said they had their numbers from Sony) the number of PS-3 released was 100.000! So we have a higher ceiling. The true sell numbers can only be lower than this. I would guess the stores I saw at Saturday have perhaps sold 50 to 70% of their consoles (otherwise you could not explain the general amout of PS-2 still available).. This would indicate an upper ceiling of 70.000 consoles sold. If it would stay this high it could become great, but is their really a reason to expect this. Normally you have a rush of people who want to get it, when it is released, no matter what. They went to the stores Friday at the most Saturday. They don't have a reason to wait. When I was at the media markt there were exactly two people with a PS-3. One who was probably a fanatic (PS-3 perhaps 10 games and 5 to 10 BluRay can't be described as normal, more as a PS-3 frenzy). And another guy who had to put his PS-3 back due to a quarrel with his wife/girlfriend.

Vienna said: it seems like germany and austria media got money from sony for good press... i read at saturday that there are only few ps3 left and when i went shopping with my girlfriend i saw big towers of ps3 two hours before the shops are closing (!?) i doubt we will ever know the real sales in europe ...
Same here, on the Internet they we're yapping about low stock, but the news on the TV didn't say any word about being selling out, when I checked online stores and heard from people checking stores... PS3 is let's just say overstocked. A guy even mentioned that he's collecting the PS3 games at the moment for cheaper prices and then buy's the PS3, but the sales are a major flop. He's a PS3 fan himself so he told it myself and said he was very dissapointed about the launch. I wasn't there so can't judge about that but if a PS3 fan even says it

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*