By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Predictions, How long until the next Xbox?

Reasonable said:
Taz! said:

My PS3 got the YLOD, I hate breakages, so instead of paying £128 to get it fixed I sold all my games and got a blu ray player. I really want a new PS3 now, but have just bought a non-replaceable Blu-Ray player.....so Im turning to the 360 and think I should try it out. However, it's in fifth year (me thinks) and Im not sure spending £250 for an Elite + MW2 + FM3 + Live is worth it if a new Xbox will be soon around the corner. So, how long is the 360 going to last? Predictions plz ;)

Wait, you're thinking of spending more than it costs to fix your existing console to buy a product known to have a higher failure rate because your console with a lower failure rate broke and have already sold all your games?  Oh, and you're also going to move from a free online environment to an ongoing subscription?

If you're that against failure you might want to rethink your strategy there.  In fact, sounds like you should be getting a Wii.

As for new 360, who knows?  In theory it'll come sooner than a new PS but it's clear MS want to extend the life a little.  Wait and see how Natal sells, that will likely be a good pointer for whether MS decide to keep 360 on shelves longer or reach for a new model.

Yea, strategy sucked, but anyway :S

And 360's have a 3 year warranty here, thats about how long I will have it for so.......

Around the Network
Garnett said:

@Taz

Ooh add me! I want some pics!

K, intend to Get L4D2 at some point, but prolly wont be until Summer unfortunately :P

12/12/2012 sounds like a good launch date for MS next console unless sales drop dramatically soon then it will be released sometime in 2011 probably 11/11/2011.

2012 the earliest, hopefully 2014.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I don't think EA or Activision could afford to retool for a new game generation anytime soon. 360 is finally makign MS some money, and it looks like the PS3 may be for Sony soon too.

I'd say next gen is at least three years away.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

Q4 2011 for the new xbox, worldwide.
Q4 2012 for the PS3 in japan, then Q2 2013 for the rest of the world.

Theo said:
Q4 2011 for the new xbox, worldwide.
Q4 2012 for the PS3 in japan, then Q2 2013 for the rest of the world.

A highly unlikely situation

I reckon 4 years to new console launch.

The new consoles are typically announced shown off 24 months before release but leaks occur some time in the 18 months before the official announcement.

There have been no leaks as yet so I doubt very much any new machines are currently being "actively" worked on.

I should imagine in the deep dark corridors of redmond there is a monthly get together to look at the state of play in new Graphics tech with a view to eventually speccing a new Xbox but until someone says the time is now forget about this gen ending.