By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Infinity Ward describes relationship with Treyarch

Infinity Ward and Treyarch are the two developers behind one of the most popular series in gaming, Call of Duty. Despite that, the two Activision Blizzard development studios are anything but close knit. Robert Bowling, Creative Strategist of Infinity Ward, revealed the relationship between his studio and Treyarch during the latest GameTrailers’ Bonus Round episode:

“The teams are completely separate. And our design schedules and our design philosophies are completely different tracks. It’s not like they might be leapfrogging in terms of franchise but the design state of mind from the teams at Infinity Ward and Treyarch are completely different. We don’t work together, we don’t collaborate.”

He later added, “the teams are very focused on what we’re doing and we really don’t let what happens in another game impact that.”

Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was released on November 10th for the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 while Treyarch's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition (a port of Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare) came out on the same date for the Nintendo Wii.

Source

Around the Network

That's good IW and Treyarch are great devs.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I remember reading an article about their relationship a while back I think IW was a little upset that Treyarch got to work on the franchise that they built. They felt COD4 was the true COD3. And now that they basically have their own little modern warfare brand separate from the World at War brand I don't think they are as hostile but I doubt they dont still have some animosity for them. It is well noted that Treyarch does use IW's engine they build for COD4 so I would assume they do have to collaborate to a certain extent.

As a gamer I think I prefer them not to collaborate with eachother though. Makes for two distinct games so they dont get stale as fast.

Interesting read.

People tend to consider Treyarch inferior devs to Infinity Ward. I am not so sure anymore.

Treyarch make many kinds of games for many kinds of platforms in many kinds of genres. Some are good some are not...but they try different things.

Infinity Ward make 1 game again and again...

At least some level of communication wouldn't hurt.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

Treyarch fucking sucks and copies every idea IW has. I bet Call of Duty 7 goes back to WWII courtesy of Treyarch.

Chairman-Mao said:
Treyarch fucking sucks and copies every idea IW has. I bet Call of Duty 7 goes back to WWII courtesy of Treyarch.

You don't know what you are talking about and are a walking example of an ignorant gamer.

Games done by Treyarch

Die by the Sword (1998)
Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb (1998) (Expansion Pack)
Triple Play 2000 (1999)
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm (2000)
Max Steel: Covert Missions (2000)
Triple Play 2001 (2000)
NHL 2K2 (2001)
Triple Play Baseball (2001)
Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer (2002)
Minority Report: Everybody Runs (2002)
Spider-Man (2002)
NHL 2K3 (2002)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
Ultimate Spider-Man (2005)
Call of Duty 3 (2006)
Spider-Man 3 (2007) (Only developed the Xbox 360, PC & PS3 version of the game)
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (2008) Wii, PS3, PS2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC
Quantum of Solace (2008) PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PC
Call of Duty: World at War (2008) PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PC , Nintendo DS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex (2009) Wii

Games done by Infinity Ward

Call of Duty 
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I'd say one is a little bit more multi talented than the other.

disolitude your post needs to be shown to anyone who hates on treyarch.

W@W maps/modes/features>>>>>>>>>MW2

not hating just stating the facts that iw fanboys wont admit.

Treyarch are Activision's workhorse. They put out decent games, sometimes great games, on a reliable schedule and handle whatever IP Activision throws at them.

Spider-man 2 is a serious contender for my favourite game of last generation. Until I played that game, I didn't think it was possible to nail the feeling of being a super hero so well in a video game.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Eh, looking at disolitude's list. I haven't played every single one, but nothing on there looks good at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.