By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 8800GT out on monday...beats 8800GTS for $199-$250???

Off topicness but I don't want to post a new thread... Could someone PM me or explain here what's best between 256 Mb ATi HD 2600 XT and 256 Mb GeForce 8600 GTS?

I want to know to play games... And I must admit, I'm a total graphic card n00b. I won't play games like Crysis and such, so I don't need a uber thing, but I'll need something that will be good enough for some years...

I need to choose between them because they're the only ones that come with the XPS 420.

Around the Network

Ack not a Dell! Be a true geek and build it from scratch!

But if you insist...

Overall game performance is going to vary a lot from card to card but on the average the 8600 GTS will get about 25% more FPS than the XT. I am basing this on Tom's Hardware which does a bunch of games at various settings and adding up all of the different FPS scores the GTS rates 1127.5 vs the XTs 896.0. So all in all it appears that the GTS is the better option, but there are some games where the XT will give better performance which is why I said it depends from game to game etc...

To Each Man, Responsibility
lolita said:
Off topicness but I don't want to post a new thread... Could someone PM me or explain here what's best between 256 Mb ATi HD 2600 XT and 256 Mb GeForce 8600 GTS?

I want to know to play games... And I must admit, I'm a total graphic card n00b. I won't play games like Crysis and such, so I don't need a uber thing, but I'll need something that will be good enough for some years...

I need to choose between them because they're the only ones that come with the XPS 420.

8600GTS is perhaps 5-10% better than the 2600XT in games, but 2600XT is better at video playback and should be $50 cheaper too. If the 2600XT is cheaper, go with that.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Mkay so all you say is that the GTS is a bit better for some things... The ATi one is already included in the computer's price, so it's the cheaper one... I just wanted to know if it was worth spending the extra money on the GTS. Thanks! I think I'll keep the ATi one (my pockets will suffer a bit less).

PS: Sqrl, if I knew how better, had more time and money I would get a custom built but I can't I need financing service, because I can't pay it all at once. So Dell is the best answer to my problems. Besides, my uncle has a Dell and it has no problem and he loves it. So I see no problem with it.

After finishing reading the Anandtech article and the Tech Report article, I think this card is going to end up in my computer early next year.

Around the Network

Dell's have given a few of my friends troubles...those few that bought Dells anyway.

They're not bad computers, but it's almost always cheaper to build your own computer...but I understand that the prebuilts have financing, so that's different.

Still...for my first custom PC, I bought the parts at different times because I couldn't afford it all at once...once I had enough to get the thing running I just bought more memory, harddrive space, and a better monitor later.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Sqrl said:
ssj12 said:
updated my DX driver... fixed some graphical errors but I can still see through the mountains which = not good. I guess the minimum requirements = bs as my processor is above max requirements and my video card "should" be in the middle somewhere... what total BS

EA SUCKS!!!!

Epic Games FTW!!!! Atleast when they say minimum requirements it means that they are the real requirements not the 7800GTX or better.

Sounds like your computer is having some issues with the demo actually. I have to say I think your guess that its a requirement issue is off. It sounds like more driver issues more than anything.

The reason I say that is two-fold, one the seeing through mountains and graphical errors is indicative of driver issues. And two, my friend has a 6800 (GTX iirc) and he can run it at medium 800x600. Its not the best settings in the world but its playable.

No EA typically screws up minimum requirements quite a bit. BF2 was supposed to be ATI 8500 and up, when launched it turned out to be 9600+ major difference. 

But your probably right. It is probably a driver error mostly. I know from reviews and talking with the guys on bit-tech my 8400GS is stronger then a 2400HD (aka 1900) so I should be good. I just need this PC to last me till the Spring whenI build my new desktop (Intel QX9650, G98, TriSLI, USB 3.0)

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I found a few stores through froogle that carry them....but every single one is out of stock already.

lolita said:
Mkay so all you say is that the GTS is a bit better for some things... The ATi one is already included in the computer's price, so it's the cheaper one... I just wanted to know if it was worth spending the extra money on the GTS. Thanks! I think I'll keep the ATi one (my pockets will suffer a bit less).

PS: Sqrl, if I knew how better, had more time and money I would get a custom built but I can't I need financing service, because I can't pay it all at once. So Dell is the best answer to my problems. Besides, my uncle has a Dell and it has no problem and he loves it. So I see no problem with it.

Nah, I'm not saying Dell is a bad pre-built company or anything.  But as a computer geek I cringe when people pay a bunch for the building and the extra software/installation etc...It will get the job done no doubt and you will have a good support line you can call for help.   

But you really should get yourself a friend who can teach you how to build computers.  It truly is not difficult at all and it will save you $$$$.

For instance the Media Powerhouse version they have for the XPS420 is $1499.

Including the price of the monitor and Vista you can build it yourself for around $850 after shipping.  Although I would recommend a different part spec out for better performance =P

A prime example of the price differences they have deluded customers into expecting is on the memory selection page.  To increase from 2GB DDR2 667 to 4GB DDR2 800 they want you to pay $320 more.  I can buy 4GB of DDR2 800 for $120  including shipping, with lifetime warranty. 

So like I said it makes me cringe. But I understand that folks don't wanna deal with the hassles and at the end of the day it is just easier.  Its just sometimes I can't help but rant a bit =P 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Okay some points:

1-I can't buy off the internet because I don't have a credit card and I don't plan on getting one. I financing, also my dad's backup to get it, so I don't see where else than Dell I could do it.

2-The only good place I know here with costum made computers I've already checked it and there's not much difference. It's Quebec here, so places like that, there aren't many.

3- When you're building costum made computer, you need to know what you're doing, you have to know about compability and such. I better not go anywhere close to it I'm affraid to make mistakes. Also I don't have any friends who know that stuff.

4-On Dell Canada's site, I upgraded the memory to 4 Gb for only 100$. I call this quite a good deal.