By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 8800GT out on monday...beats 8800GTS for $199-$250???

OK, my PC is slim so these cards are out of the question. The best I can hope for is the 8600GT which brings me to my question. Anybody know where I might buy a low profile 8600? I know they exist but I just can find a place to buy it.

Around the Network

Newegg is overcharging for their 8800gt's (they are $250 elsewhere). I guess I'll have to get mine somewhere else.

edit - it might be just those brands that have decided to raise their prices above nvidia's MSRP. We'll see.

edit #2 - Nope, I've found the MSI card for $250 elsewhere.  Why newegg, why?  Don't ruin your long-standing awesomeness now! 

Prices at newegg will come down soon enough; they just want to ride the wave of OMFG AWESOME IM GOING TO BUY ONE AT NEWEGG RIGHT NOW! Other retailers are doing the same thing (not all, but many of the good ones are). It's just a reality of the market, the card is such a good deal that it's honestly worth more than the MSRP.

newegg's prices are always high the first week then they become the cheapest of all retailers. =]

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

FJ-Warez said:
A review:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1210/1
This is the one I just ordered (not in stock yet though)....I'll be sure to post my impressions on how it performs once it arrives...

Around the Network
lolita said:
Okay some points:

1-I can't buy off the internet because I don't have a credit card and I don't plan on getting one. I financing, also my dad's backup to get it, so I don't see where else than Dell I could do it.

2-The only good place I know here with costum made computers I've already checked it and there's not much difference. It's Quebec here, so places like that, there aren't many.

3- When you're building costum made computer, you need to know what you're doing, you have to know about compability and such. I better not go anywhere close to it I'm affraid to make mistakes. Also I don't have any friends who know that stuff.

4-On Dell Canada's site, I upgraded the memory to 4 Gb for only 100$. I call this quite a good deal.

Like I said, people don't want to deal with the hassles and I don't blame you/them. Building a computer alone for the first time can be a frightening experience especially when you can't afford to replace something if/when you break it.

As amusing as it sounds, I remember my first time . I was freaking out when I locked the processor into place...I was sure it was cracked...and then I thought it was in 20 pieces once I finally snapped the CPU fan in place. Aah good times.

PS - The processor turned out to be fine.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Tom's Hardware Guide has a review up.

This thing can play Crysis @ 1600x1200 on high and still get framerates in the mid-30's! (they didn't mention very high for any of the cards they tested though)

Entroper said:
After finishing reading the Anandtech article and the Tech Report article, I think this card is going to end up in my computer early next year.

Yesss...just finished reading that article myself, great job by anandtech as always.  This 8800GT is the real deal folks.

Its really hard to recommend a 8600 or the 'old' 8800GTS/GTXs over a 8800GT if you want the most performance / price.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

So awesome. I'm upgrading my graphics card in December or January and this has just made my decision for me. By then they will be much cheaper on Newegg than anywhere else too

I agree Ihira the only problem is I already have a GTS and am set up for SLI so I am sort of stuck getting another one or paying out the arse for GT SLI. Not a tough choice but not the choice I prefer..if for no other reason than size =P

To Each Man, Responsibility