By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto on lack of online support in New Super Mario Bros. Wii

HappySqurriel said:

Being that many of the best selling games of this generation were so popular because of local multiplayer, why don't companies have to justify their decision to go online-multiplayer only when they release a game?

I agree. And I will also add that nintendo is a japan oriented company. They have concerns about the japanese market and their performance. The game has been designed for domestic tastes. Monster hunter is currently the most selling franchise in japan due to local online.  That's not a excuse, but that explains their decision I think.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Around the Network

yeah i agree, like here in my country people arent fans of mario, heck most havent played mario since super mario bros, so they think its childish. It would've been nice to have online so i could enjoy the multiplayer instead of trying to persuade my frnds to play this... shame rly.

However the mere fact they added multiplayer is genius IMO, hopefully the next iteration will improve on that

Sempuukyaku said:
Can we PLEASE DROP THE goddamn online bitching already? PLEASE? The game is freaking awesome, period. My girlfriend and I are on World 5-1 and couldn't be having more of a blast. Miyamoto thinks online would've hurt the game, so he left it out...DEAL. If you want to whine and cry constantly, feel free to do so. The rest of us will be enjoying this thoroughly awesome game.

By the way, this "Nintendo doesn't listen to its fans" is a load of shit. Did they not listen when they made Twilight Princess photo-realistic? Or adding online to Mario Kart and Smash Bros? Or get a Kid Icarus game going (that was Factor 5's fault and not Nintendo's on that one). The whining needs to cease, for real.

The thing about that is, its all a matter of opinion if your happy with it the way it is awesome I'm glad but it is still your opinion!!  For every person that loves it the way it is there will be someone that wants it another way, and guess what that is why we have message boards so we can all give our opinions on what we would hope for in a game!  Online is certainly debatealbe and just because you are cool without does not mean somone else is!!  I do agree that they did listen on Twilight Princess which was awesome but you could still argue that they did not take enough of a risk changing weapons, controls and overall feel of it, sure Zelda the Wind Waker looked different but it was still Zelda with very little variations in play control! I'm not saying that is bad its just playing it safe which is what this new Mario game feels like!!

What really annoys me about me about this situation is that are bunch off ppl who may not care about online so they think the idea is stupid or irealavant..well fortunately the world doesn't revolve around them...local coop is fantastic but i would have like to have played with fellow VGCers after me my and bros were done.

True, i'm not a big online hunk myself, but i do knw when it should be implemented and when there's no need to. I'm just saying online on this would've been a great addition, but we all know Nintendo still dont buy take the online part seriously. If anything they've been cutting it out more and more. Mario strikers which was a 2007 game had online, and it was great, however they couldnt even implent that in mario baseball or tennis and more games which is rly sad actually. Not only i feel this way, but many do, so dont attack based on ur opinion

Around the Network

Lack of online hasn't really affected the sales of many Nintendo games, so is it really worth it? If it was something that could affect sales then maybe it might be worth it, but there really is no evidence that it will, so there is no need

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Bringing up ssbb as proof that online is capable makes me wonder what question he is being asked.
Obviously, he was asked whether online was even possible, and he used a terrible example thereby proving it isn't possible.
Saying that it is more fun was just sidestepping the question.

Why not got to your friends house and let the kids play with you?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Well when I live in Minnesota and the friends I grew up with playing Mario games as kids on the Nes now live in San Francisco, Boston, and Chicago its not really an option!!  Shame this would be perfect for us all to play a Mario game together again!!

Avinash_Tyagi said:

typical you..in last and current u completely missed both points