By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I crazy, or isn't this a huge deal?

maybe there will be Wii net cafes set up.... with places in to play mutiplayer Wii/sports matches for a small fee, and then maybe some machines set up for online (there will be a much better online system in a year i hope...which is about when they are considering selling to China)

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
I like Bacon said:
I don't like the gift giving feature. Why should I spend my money on VC games, only to give them to a friend?

Ugh, I hope this is sarcastic :(

This is about China. China. China. CHINA.

The Wii is entering China. Again, this seems like an extremely important move, but perhaps I'm misinterpreting it. Anyone?

This is huge. Ninty products are very popular there, and the Wii will be just as successful there as anywhere else.

They could also reprice the console to $149US if they wanted - and region lock it, such that China games only work on China consoles. The key to defeating piracy in China is price and distribution. They can also use the government to (try?) and jump on piracy. There has been some success with this in the past.

Piracy is still the challenge of course. There are a few things they can do to try and defeat this - be interesting to see what approach they do use. Downloadable (VC?) titles should be popular there.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

konnichiwa said:
FJ-Warez said:
I like Bacon said:
Post your predictions! Which will sell more in China? The Vii or the Wii!?

The Vii of course (Because is a national product), the Wii is doomed!

I think the price is more important why it will sell a lot or not.

I was j/k

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Heh I wonder how Ioi's Chinese sources are? Seems like the world wide totals are going to be a lot harder to figure out statistically with China in the mix. I cant imagine it's easy to get sales data out of china. Well... accurate sales data anyway.

@Bodhesatva

One reason why WoW is so much more popular in China is because they pay so much less to play it. Apparently in China you pay by 4 cents an hour to play WoW instead of $15 a month. Even if you assume addiction level of game playing, you end up with Chinese customers paying less than 1/3 what American or EU customers pay. (Some sources: http://relmstein.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-do-wows-numbers-mean.html , http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34205/102/). You could also argue that more Chinese customers play WoW because they face lower opportunity costs with their time (no console gaming alternatives, poor employment opportunities), or for a myriad of other reasons.

Your WoW logic doesn't transfer over to the Wii though. Nintendo can sell the hardware and make a small profit out of the box to the small percentage of the population that has western levels of income, but it can't expect to make too much profit on software because you can easily find pirated Wii games for under $2.00 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13369). I would imagine that Nintendo considers this more as a chance to bring up a generation of Nintendo fans and position itself well for the future than as an opportunity to immediaely turn a profit in China.

I think PPP is fine for comparison, because companies set the price of their hardware. Price discrimination is a time honored tradition for monopolies, and console manufacturers are exactly that - a monopoly. It's similar to how big pharmaceutical companies charge the US the most for their drugs, and sell them cheaper to less wealthy countries. That's why you see different prices in different countries, and in particular why you see much lower prices in China for WoW.

Albionus definitely posted the best analysis (although I couldn't find his figures on the worldfactbook), but nothing that I said was false. WoW is profitable because 4 cents an hour is better than nothing. You can't do that for the Wii (except for Virtual Console games.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure it was already known the Wii was going into China around the same time as the Olympics and launching with Mario & Sonic at the Olympics to tie it all together.

How about market share? Isn't it important right now to penetrate the market rather than to earn a big profit from the market. If Nintendo can penetrate the China and Korea market with Wii and DS, they have won. Profit can come from rest of the World.

No doubt things are cheaper in China, but still you have to look at the number of handphones and cars sold there. Chinese has been playing Magic the Gathering trading cards for many years too. If they had been video games - starved for 2 decades, I believe they will grab Wii. Nintendo will no doubt sell Wii cheaper just like Nokia and other gadgets company.

I believe China's market has big potential this generation alone, at least for Nintendo.

WW Market share prediction on 31st March 08 (I make this prediction on 13 Dec 07):

Wii - 50%

X360 - 30%

PS3 - 20%

Kasz216 said:
Heh I wonder how Ioi's Chinese sources are? Seems like the world wide totals are going to be a lot harder to figure out statistically with China in the mix. I cant imagine it's easy to get sales data out of china. Well... accurate sales data anyway.

Well, every three months Nintendo will probably let us know how many Wiis they shipped to China, at least in the last financial report they did write per-region shipments.

In the very worst case in which Nintendo doesn't give out specific information for China, we'll still be able to estimate it by subtracting estimated shipments in other regions from shipment totals.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

konnichiwa said:
Coca-Cola said:
I don't get why PS3 and Xbox is not in China already.

Oh lol some of my PSN friends were Chinese (Chinese in China).

You should check it with your folding Home you see lights in China.

Those lights are PS3 owners right? 

yes. btw, isn't the Wii already in south korea? if not the PS3 beat them to it and has gotten a pretty favorable reception from what i saw, though i haven't heard anything for awhile. (they even got VoD =( i want VoD!)

vizunary said:
konnichiwa said:
Coca-Cola said:
I don't get why PS3 and Xbox is not in China already.

Oh lol some of my PSN friends were Chinese (Chinese in China).

You should check it with your folding Home you see lights in China.

Those lights are PS3 owners right? 

yes. btw, isn't the Wii already in south korea? if not the PS3 beat them to it and has gotten a pretty favorable reception from what i saw, though i haven't heard anything for awhile. (they even got VoD =( i want VoD!)

Yeah Nintendo is in South Korea. But there is even massive piracy in THAT region!

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5485&Itemid=2

"Nintendo Korea has made its first official statement regarding software piracy in light of the growing nature of the problem in the region."