By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I crazy, or isn't this a huge deal?

klydwntelos said:
You are totally wrong for two major reasons.

The first is that China is a poor country compared to the EU, Japan, and especially America. The average American is about 6 times wealthier than the average Chinese citizen, so it's unlikely that China has much disposable income to spend on video games. If you're interested, you can check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita .

The market of people who are rich like the avarage citizen of Uk is around 200 million it is a huge market.

About the money thing.  It is a whole other world over there.

My GF gets 150$ a month for her work.

But with 150$ she can hire a big appartement , pay her food for a month/eletricity, buy a bus card for a month.

With 150$ I can't do anything I need for what she haves around 1000$ a month.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Anyone wanna trade OoT and Metroid for PM? :O

X_______X  What?  You want to raise your postcount this way XD?

klydwntelos said:

The first is that China is a poor country compared to the EU, Japan, and especially America. The average American is about 6 times wealthier than the average Chinese citizen, so it's unlikely that China has much disposable income to spend on video games. If you're interested, you can check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita .

Second, piracy is a huge problem in China. The government basically only enforces intellectual property rights when it is convenient. That's why you get hilarious knock-offs like the "Vii:" http://www.techybytes.com/the-vii-chinas-answer-to-the-wii/.

That's why nobody currently bothers to try to sell console games in China.

Your right and wrong at the same time.  Your above stats are right, but that's an average, there are a lot of people in China who can certainly afford a Wii.  Dispite the population, there are still probably fewer potential Wii buyers in China than the US but insignificant it is not!   

Piracy is huge and millions will be loss on game sales, but not hardware sales.

Bigger news, in my opinion, is they are also going into South Korea.  South Korea is a HUGE market, comparible to Japan, but no console has ever sold well there because they are all PC/MMO crazy.  However, they are already buying imported Wii's in SK and Wii will be the first console to actually caught on in Korea.  

China and Korea will be so huge VGChartz will need to give them each seperate columns (although no reliable data will likely be available from China)

Maybe Wii hardware will be succsessful in China, but 99% of it will be modded, except if Nintendo doesn't make a big deal releasing software for like 10$ per game (even then amount of the legal software bought will be insignificant).
But that probably won't happen

Soriku said:
konnichiwa said:
Soriku said:
Anyone wanna trade OoT and Metroid for PM? :O

X_______X  What?  You want to raise your postcount this way XD?

No, seriously. You got PM? Want OoT and Metroid? When this comes out then let's exchange.

Seriously why you ask this in this THREAD XD.

Ok you have my permission open a thread about and put it in your signature.

Around the Network

About posting PPP GDP: that's not correct place to do it. You won't buy Wii, PS3 or Xbox with PPP dollars. You buy them with nominal dollars and nominal GDP should be used here. Nominal GDP per capita in China is close to 2k per year. This is around four time less than GDP (PPP) per capita and around 20 times less than in US, so difference is significent.

China nominal GDP is close to Germany's (it should overtake it this year or the next one) but it's hard to say how many Chinese are willing to buy a console becouse GDP distribution is way different.

I don't get why PS3 and Xbox is not in China already.
Was PS2 and GC available there?
If not, why not? Is it a Communist thing?
My homies in China should have the right to play games!

klydwntelos said:

Second, piracy is a huge problem in China. The government basically only enforces intellectual property rights when it is convenient. That's why you get hilarious knock-offs like the "Vii:" http://www.techybytes.com/the-vii-chinas-answer-to-the-wii/.

That's why nobody currently bothers to try to sell console games in China.

You are totally wrong for more reasons than I can count. First off, are there Chinese that can't afford a wii? Yes. A lot of the Chinese populous is rural and under developed. Nintendo won't be selling product in the countryside. Let's say that only 20 percent of the population can afford a gaming system. (1.3 Billion x 0.2 = 260 Million) That's almost the same number of people in the entire USA. Secondly. If they're knocking it off already, they must think it's going to sell a ton. Also http://wii.ign.com/articles/829/829383p1.html (And yes, Hong Kong is controlled by China although it is semi-autonomous) The wii is already available in Hong Kong. The DS (and PSP for that matter) has been available in mainland China for years. I'm not sure if anyone tracks the sales there, however. The real issue is that there has been a deep seated dislike/hatred between Japan and China for thousands of years. I'm not sure how well Japanese products sell in China solely due to a dislike of from where the product originates. I believe that a lot of the wii components are made in China, so that should help.

Coca-Cola said:
I don't get why PS3 and Xbox is not in China already.

Oh lol some of my PSN friends were Chinese (Chinese in China).

You should check it with your folding Home you see lights in China.

Those lights are PS3 owners right? 

Gaming is going global, big time. Today China and Russia, tomorrow Indonesia and India - if current trends keep up, the world gaming audience is on track to expand from maybe 500 million in 2005 to 2 billion in 2015. (This includes cellphone games.)