By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Reggie: Modern Warfare 2 may have trouble maintaining sales while NSMB Wii will sell consistently

Reggie: Modern Warfare 2 may have trouble maintaining sales while NSMB Wii will sell consistently

November 13th, 2009 Posted in News, Wii, Written by Valay

About a week ago, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that New Super Mario Bros. Wii will outsell Modern Warfare 2 on one system by the time the January 2010 NPD sales data report is published. But today, he discussed long-term sales of both games in a recent interview and made a comparison between the two titles. Here’s Fils-Aime’s response when asked if he was surprised by the success of Modern Warfare 2.

“You know, I was not. We know that it’s a high-quality title. We know that it will do exceptionally well. Their challenge is going to be sustaining that. It was so big so fast, what happens next week and the week after? Versus Mario is going to sell for high numbers every day now through, really, for the next couple of years.”

Who thinks Reggie is right? the first MW has had decent legs why not MW2?

Around the Network

Because most of the buyers already bought MW2

Too bad your bet was till this January, not January 2012.

pretty muc what zaMy said
mario will sell as good as wii fit or mario kart wii
and modern warfare 2 can't compete with those ones

I'm sure Nintendo would be happy if it could have a outstanding number first week.

It seems like all 3rd party Wii games depend on legs. Unfortunately, that means people wait until price drops.

Around the Network

I think people are focusing on him too much.

As a rep for Nintendo console, It's pretty natural for him to question a third party game's (without featuring first party mascots) ability to sell.

at least he isn't talking about the bet anymore. it takes a real man to hide when it is obvious that the battle is lost.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

CoD 4 didn't have a problem.

Xen said:
CoD 4 didn't have a problem.

He's just boasting about something we've already seen time and time again. Wii games never have huge sales from the start. Its always prolonged. He's captain friggin obvious.

How is MW2 supposed to sustain near to 7 million levels? O.o

It may seem impossible to think New Super Mario Bros will outsell Modern Warfare 2 but consider the following

Mario Kart Wii outsold Call of duty 4 by a large margin and it released a year later as opposed to the same time here

New Super Mario Bros DS outsold Mario Kart DS by nearly 4 million copies. If New Super Mario Bros Wii can outsell Mario Kart Wii it will have astonishing numbers

New Super Mario Bros in hugely popular in Japan while Modern Warfare 2 will be lucky to sell 300k lifetime sales

PSWii