By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New super mario bros Wii on metacritic.

Khuutra said:
Seece said:

What you don't understand is how a review is actually written.

...What a peculiar thing to say.

Would you expand on that, please?

He's saying because they sold so well, they are quality games. When in fact that's completely wrong.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Khuutra said:
Seece said:

He's saying because they sold so well, they are quality games. When in fact that's completely wrong.

Is it?

And if so, what does that have to do with how a review is written?

I love it, Wii fans are the only group to act like Metacritic is useless or doesn't exist. (and for good reason, because most of their top games are poorly reviewed).

Except for maybe when someone brings up SMG.

And lol@20m sales equaling quality.

Khuutra said:
Seece said:
Khuutra said:
Seece said:

Is it?

And if so, what does that have to do with how a review is written?

Yes it is.

He is saying those games deserve high scores because many people buy them

a game isn't reviewed on that basis at all. Plenty of games that have sold a lot have had shoddy graphics, or poor gameplay, not long enough, ect.

Just because carnival games sold well doesn't make it a GREAT game, whatever people say.

Some people may think it is, but on paper. No.

Pyro as Bill said:
silicon said:
Pyro as Bill said:
BladeOfGod said:
its down to 86 now.

Dont wanna start a flamebait, but wii hasn't recived a single AAA game this year except Metriod Prime Collection, and 2 games in that collection are from last gen

And according to people who actually have to pay for their games (eg Amazon) PS3/360 doesn't have any 'AAA' games whatsoever while the Wii has plenty.

According to that logic Twilight is one of the books ever written, New Moon one of the best movies, and Jonas Brothers one of the best bands. Do you have to agree? No. You're allowed to have your own opinion but you should also respect others' opinions as well.

Nah, they are temporary. Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson are probably the best musicians (I'm not a fan of any of them but I accept they're the best musical entertainers). Books? No idea. Bible maybe. Greatest story ever told apparently.

NSMB, Wii Sports, WSR, Mario Kart, Wii Fit are the best games available for the majority of gamers. If a game sells 20M it's a quality game and clearly deserves a high score.

Especially when those 20m sales are the result of a year's worth of legs.

Legs = quality

High day 1 sales = hype

Around the Network
Seece said:

Yes it is.

a game isn't reviewed on that basis at all. Plenty of games that have sold a lot have had shoddy graphics, or poor gameplay, not long enough, ect.

Just because carnival games sold well doesn't make it a GREAT game, whatever people say.

Nnot just that they buy them - that they praise them, and others buy them as consequence, on and on.

But I wouldn't say it has anythingn to do with scores, either, because reviews have never been a very good metric of quality.

"On paper" is meaningless, here, because there is no objective standard of quality for video games.

Seece said:

What does that mean? "Just because you think it's good doesn't mean it's good?" I'm surprised to hear you take such an elitist stance.

Khuutra said:
Seece said:

Yes it is.

Nnot just that they buy them - that they praise them, and others buy them as consequence, on and on.

But I wouldn't say it has anythingn to do with scores, either, because reviews have never been a very good metric of quality.

"On paper" is meaningless, here, because there is no objective standard of quality for video games.

""On paper" is meaningless, here, because there is no objective standard of quality for video games."

Yes there is.

Seece said:

""On paper" is meaningless, here, because there is no objective standard of quality for video games."

Yes there is.

Can you elaborate on what it is, then?

noname2200 said:
Seece said:

What does that mean? "Just because you think it's good doesn't mean it's good?" I'm surprised to hear you take such an elitist stance.

It's not elitist.

I think Lips (X360) is a fun game, a great game in fact (for me personally) do i think it should have scored any higher than 7.5? no.

There is a measure on the worth of a game, graphics, sound ect.

A game sells 20 mill, does that automatically mean it has all those qualities to make it a high rated game?