By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New super mario bros Wii on metacritic.

Escherichia said:
I just stopped by metacritic to take a look at scores. First off, I like how MW2 gets a much more modest score for the PC version, which is pretty much the definitive version. MW2 gets some pitiful user scores though regardless of system, PC has the lowest, probably because of the gimped multi-player issues. NSMBWii also has a modest metascore at 88 and a user score of 94.

Hmmm, is there a disconnect between gaming critics and players, or is there some serious money inflating things for some games and not for others? Or are there just a disproportionate amount of PS360 critics out there as compared to Wii critics. What so very striking about MW2 is how much lower the PC version is scoring, again the definitive version getting a lower score? Something smells fishy.

Or like some people have been saying, reviewers have been upscoring 360 and PS3 games while downscoring other games, for unknown reasons.

At first glance, and seemingly based off of recent reviews, you could make the case that they are upscoring PS3/360 games because of graphics and hype.  But that's the exact opposite reason reviewers should be scoring games higher on avg...

And even if PS3 and 360 games were to be scored higher based on these variables, then the system should be changed.  Only rate 360 games vs other 360 games.  PS3 games vs other PS3 games.  And Wii games vs other Wii games.  Its stupid to think reviewers have given GTAIV a 10 this generation and so now every game following is going to be compared next to it, even on the Wii and DS.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Escherichia said:
I just stopped by metacritic to take a look at scores. First off, I like how MW2 gets a much more modest score for the PC version, which is pretty much the definitive version. MW2 gets some pitiful user scores though regardless of system, PC has the lowest, probably because of the gimped multi-player issues. NSMBWii also has a modest metascore at 88 and a user score of 94.

Hmmm, is there a disconnect between gaming critics and players, or is there some serious money inflating things for some games and not for others? Or are there just a disproportionate amount of PS360 critics out there as compared to Wii critics. What so very striking about MW2 is how much lower the PC version is scoring, again the definitive version getting a lower score? Something smells fishy.

Completely off topic, but i had a microbiology lecturer at university with a lisp and every time he said "escherichia" it sounded like he was at signifcant risk of simultaneously swallowing his own teeth and covering the entire front row in spit. 

Had totally forgotten about him until now and I just thought i'd share.

What's funny is this is a new super mario bros wii thread and people are brining up other games to compare, with oh well it makes a conversation at the end of the day.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

If anyone is reading this thread and wondering if this game is worth buying because it doesn't have ZOMG 99% rating on metacritic, here is what I have to say.

This game is simply magical. Personally, I like to watch the girls in my life play it (when I am not trying to get every single Star Coin). its just fun to chill out to. There is no way, rhyme or reason why this game doesn't deserve to be picked up and played by every single person who can afford to do so. It is my absolute favorite game in the last 10 years. There are a few things that maybe could have been done better. My girlfriend has a ton of fun playing and watching me play, in a way very few other games have interested her. She loves to do the bonus stages. The game has something for everyone in the same vein Super Mario Bros 3 did. When you think about it this game is the best of what Mario has to offer.

Only one or two suits are missing, and this game shouldnt be played online. Mario's intricate routine and perfect gymnastics would be ruined by lag on some of these stages.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Escherichia said:

Or like some people have been saying, reviewers have been upscoring 360 and PS3 games while downscoring other games, for unknown reasons.

At first glance, and seemingly based off of recent reviews, you could make the case that they are upscoring PS3/360 games because of graphics and hype.  But that's the exact opposite reason reviewers should be scoring games higher on avg...

And even if PS3 and 360 games were to be scored higher based on these variables, then the system should be changed.  Only rate 360 games vs other 360 games.  PS3 games vs other PS3 games.  And Wii games vs other Wii games.  Its stupid to think reviewers have given GTAIV a 10 this generation and so now every game following is going to be compared next to it, even on the Wii and DS.

They're not reviewers anymore. They're people locked in a mindset of gaming that has little to do with actual games. Note how gameplay was little discussed in GTA IV compared to this "experience" that it was supposed to give.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

"If anyone is reading this thread and wondering if this game is worth buying because it doesn't have ZOMG 99% rating on metacritic, here is what I have to say."

TV Tropes calls it "Reviews Are The Gospel", although Mario Kart Wii already blew that out of the water (scored the least of the console Mario Kart games).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

dampowell said:

If anyone is reading this thread and wondering if this game is worth buying because it doesn't have ZOMG 99% rating on metacritic, here is what I have to say.

This game is simply magical. Personally, I like to watch the girls in my life play it (when I am not trying to get every single Star Coin). its just fun to chill out to. There is no way, rhyme or reason why this game doesn't deserve to be picked up and played by every single person who can afford to do so. It is my absolute favorite game in the last 10 years. There are a few things that maybe could have been done better. My girlfriend has a ton of fun playing and watching me play, in a way very few other games have interested her. She loves to do the bonus stages. The game has something for everyone in the same vein Super Mario Bros 3 did. When you think about it this game is the best of what Mario has to offer.

Only one or two suits are missing, and this game shouldnt be played online. Mario's intricate routine and perfect gymnastics would be ruined by lag on some of these stages.

this i love to read, way better than any review ever written. 

I can't wait till i get this game.  I can't even count how many times me and friends or family have sat down and played the old 2d marios (and 3d) just watching others play while hanging out and switching turns.  So fun.  Now imagining that but being able to play together all at the same time.  2d mario games are just so enjoyable.

It's also fun teaching her the infinite oneup tricks in the various levels, I just taught her to do 1 in 1-3. Also I figured out a few infinite one up tricks not included in the hint movies that are better than the hint movie one up tricks... especially in the stage 1-3.

@Nick
so saying MW2 is just a Modern Warfare 1.5 doesn't mean he's trying to say MW2 sucks?

No, it does not mean that because the first version is a good game, so an upgrade can only be better. But there isn't anything new enough that would make me want to buy the second one.

I buy games for the singleplayer alone anyway, so in that aspect MW2 sucks ass(way too short, nothing special, linear, not a free world which I like very much,so so story,etc).